Yardage session yesterday with some odd/interesting stats

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a session booked with out pro Stevie Gordon yesterday using the trackman to gain a yardage chart for each of my clubs.
I'll make my excuses now and get them out of the way, I was working all day including a bit of driving so was a little tired etc etc :) I have also definitely lost a few mph clubhead speed (average used to be circa 110-112mph mph from memory) since my driver fitting in 2011, going to work on that. I am thinking of going back for another session in a couple of months when I will have a few more inches off the waistline.

Anyway, there were a few surprises in there,
1. I was using too much loft on my driver, it was set to 9.5 though would normally have used 9.
There are two sets of data, one for the 9.5 setting and the other for 8 degrees. There was 25 yards difference and a much better penetrating flight instead of my usual stratospheric canon blast type trajectory. I have always lost a lot of distance into the wind and now this should be lessened, spin seems to have been effectively halved and was told to tee it higher as I was hitting them all a little low on the face which has a gear effect in creating more backspin.

2. my gapping in mid irons is crazy. Im not sure what I can put that down to other than some poor strikes with the 7i.

I have linked my charts which shows averages first page then per club each page after, showing good and bad.
My question is this, has anyone else had their yardages done, if so,would they mind posting them up as Id be interested to see how others mid irons look and whether I am alone in the odd gapping, certainly from the 5-9i.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82vkoi5uh57f1uw/brendy yardage chart.pdf?dl=0

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm looking to get mine done soon enough as I literally have no real idea of how far I hit each club . I feel like I can hit my 8 iron 165 and my 7 iron only 160.... Do most places have trackman in place now days ?

G

guest100718

Its something I have been looking at doing. Our pro has a GC2.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is where I feel Game Golf is so important. Gives you a mean value in yards for each club based on your own stats. Par 3 downhill 167 yards yesterday. My mean for a 7 iron is 158 according to GG. I hit it 12ft from the pin. I'd have been guessing most of the time and coming up short or too long if it wasn't for that app.

Can you really get valuable data from a launch monitor? It doesn't account for wind or many other variables. It's really just how well does the ball react in perfect conditions.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Brendy get some impact tape and keep an eye where you are hitting on the face.

Low and heel shots will rob you of distance. That is probably the difference in some of those strikes.

You have enough positive aoa so should suit that lower loft.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Brendy get some impact tape and keep an eye where you are hitting on the face.

Low and heel shots will rob you of distance. That is probably the difference in some of those strikes.

You have enough positive aoa so should suit that lower loft.

Funny you mention that, Stevie sprayed white stuff on some of the faces, the woods were totally repeatable (5 on top of each other), the irons were a little more loose, nothing off the toe on any club. Every club seems to be slightly heely on the poor shots. At the end to experiment he got me to address short of the ball and try to intentionally hit it off the tip of the toe, it came out of the middle, wasnt a great hit but I simply couldnt get it off the toe at all.
These pics were typical of the clubs, the shorter clubs, I dont have a pic of but were def 1/4" out from centre towards the heel.
5 wood
3600730e-c814-4624-8213-d85b0751abb6.jpg

6i (if I remember rightly)
ce235632-f102-4872-a6fb-316e278a1b83.jpg

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are two sets of data, one for the 9.5 setting and the other for 8 degrees. There was 25 yards difference and a much better penetrating flight instead of my usual stratospheric canon blast type trajectory. I have always lost a lot of distance into the wind and now this should be lessened, spin seems to have been effectively halved and was told to tee it higher as I was hitting them all a little low on the face which has a gear effect in creating more backspin.

on the driver stats it's definitely the spin that would kill you into the wind; and to a degree (no pun intended) all the time with regards to overall trajectory and it's impact on roll out.

but, all I would want to do based on those stats is book in for a more extensive session based on your driver alone

the no brainer is that the levels of spin attributable to you at 9.5 loft are going to have a negative impact (there I go again) but then again you have an even greater variation in your AoA and, in this situation, pure loft is just another element in the equation involving AoA, as well as swing elements that go to delivering the dynamic loft at impact - I have known people adjust to their perception of the static loft and alignment to distort this data short term.

also quite confused with AoA data given....I would be amazed if you could get +9.5 AoA with a standard length driver (without a 4" tee anyway) and if you had then, unless I've got it wrong, you would have 0 degrees of spin loft at impact with a 9.5 degree lofted driver (unless opening the face through impact) so the spin becomes a pure function of the club head weighting doesn't it?

which comes onto the ball flight associated with the various lofts - the dispersion chart might be indicating that you are pushing or cutting the shots with the more lofted setting?

thanks for taking the time to post the data - always interesting and I look forward to reading the responses

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Replied in red.
on the driver stats it's definitely the spin that would kill you into the wind; and to a degree (no pun intended) all the time with regards to overall trajectory and it's impact on roll out.

but, all I would want to do based on those stats is book in for a more extensive session based on your driver alone

the no brainer is that the levels of spin attributable to you at 9.5 loft are going to have a negative impact (there I go again) but then again you have an even greater variation in your AoA and, in this situation, pure loft is just another element in the equation involving AoA, as well as swing elements that go to delivering the dynamic loft at impact - I have known people adjust to their perception of the static loft and alignment to distort this data short term.

also quite confused with AoA data given....I would be amazed if you could get +9.5 AoA with a standard length driver (without a 4" tee anyway) and if you had then, unless I've got it wrong, you would have 0 degrees of spin loft at impact with a 9.5 degree lofted driver (unless opening the face through impact) so the spin becomes a pure function of the club head weighting doesn't it? I started off with regular tees and moved onto longer tees once Stevie said that I was hitting them low on the face and this was causing too much spin and causing a ballooning shot shape, so could well have been the bigger tees on that particular shot

which comes onto the ball flight associated with the various lofts - the dispersion chart might be indicating that you are pushing or cutting the shots with the more lofted setting? Yea there was quite a few pushes in there, my aim isnt the best either, what I feel is straight at a target at say, 200 yards, is more like 20 yards right. That is a lesson required for another day though

thanks for taking the time to post the data - always interesting and I look forward to reading the responses

D

Deleted member 16999

This is where I feel Game Golf is so important. Gives you a mean value in yards for each club based on your own stats. Par 3 downhill 167 yards yesterday. My mean for a 7 iron is 158 according to GG. I hit it 12ft from the pin. I'd have been guessing most of the time and coming up short or too long if it wasn't for that app.

Can you really get valuable data from a launch monitor? It doesn't account for wind or many other variables. It's really just how well does the ball react in perfect conditions.
I use GG and it's been great for "actual" yardages, saying that I do believe some monitors can be set to add conditions/wind etc.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

it's the complete opposite

GG will give you the historical total yardages achieved, with no data on wind, ground conditions, slope or how well you actually hit it.

launch monitor will give you detailed information on how and what you are getting from any club (and ball) as well as an indication of what this might equate to in any given set of conditions (if you wish to learn this by tweaking the settings)

both will require you to consider the conditions when you play any actual real life shot.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
assuming lie (& loft) irons been checked out (particularly lie/loft of 7i)

looking at the average lowest loft iron carry (lower loft setting # rounded down) 208
average highest loft wedge (# rounded down) 96
all the irons (full shots) in the bag then have to cover a distance of 112 yards

my take would be looking over the #'s with the irons & gap distances etc, is it worth looking at irons that give a tad more help with off the button strikes.

if you do the same test again through the irons in the bag what are the results like when swing motion is at 80% -

does that make repeatable center a ways more easy to find

does that make path easier to repeat with not such a marked in to out path from 0º on a number of strikes
(& maybes shoulder alignment something to pay real attention to at set-up)
in to out at 9º going to place the heel naturally nearest the ball into impact so maybe more subconsciously encourage a flip roll release so more variable club face rotation into the ball - (see Tiger Woods at Chambers)

does that make difference between face angle & path easier to repeat to be nearer a 1:2 ratio

maybes worth while having a good bunch of practice sessions having put a narrow - ish channel with alignment sticks to swing through down either side of the ball
maybes also checking there is not so much lateral shift & hips towards the ball going on through the transition motion into impact - (see Tiger Woods)
so a tad more centered rotation in the motion

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cant work out how to post the charts of mine so some numbers from a few mths ago when on GC2 which may help or not Brendy:

For each club its clubhead speed, ball speed, carry yards, total yards but dont have my driver 3 iron or wedges in there. the really odd number of mine was the clubhead speed on the 9 iron, looks like I had a rest lol

3 wood: 112mph/157mph/252yds/275yds
17 deg Hy: 102mph/143mph/234yds/255yds
4 iron: 96mph/131mph/196yds/212yds
5 iron: 90mph/123mph/179yds/194yds
6 iron: 88mph/120mph/172yds/186yds
7 iron: 85mph/115mph/161yds/173yds
8 iron: 81mph/110mph/149yds/159yds
9 iron: 74mph/100mph/130yds/138yds
PW: 78mph/ 95mph/ 121yds/ 129yds

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
probably seen this a bunch of times but worth noting some folks often aren't as far away as they maybes think in terms of SS & distance

but kinda indicates that the biggest area available for improvements often times is in strike through path, face angle & AoA
6QDBVEg.png
[/IMG]

Jimbop90

Assistant Pro
Visit site
probably seen this a bunch of times but worth noting some folks often aren't as far away as they maybes think in terms of SS & distance

but kinda indicates that the biggest area available for improvements often times is in strike through path, face angle & AoA
6QDBVEg.png
[/IMG]

This just screams to me 'go get a lesson you burk' - from PW to 7 iron I'm only a couple of yards shy of these figures, but the top half of my bag I would say my distances get a lot more congested, and definitely short of the above.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
assuming lie (& loft) irons been checked out (particularly lie/loft of 7i)

looking at the average lowest loft iron carry (lower loft setting # rounded down) 208
average highest loft wedge (# rounded down) 96
all the irons (full shots) in the bag then have to cover a distance of 112 yards

my take would be looking over the #'s with the irons & gap distances etc, is it worth looking at irons that give a tad more help with off the button strikes.

if you do the same test again through the irons in the bag what are the results like when swing motion is at 80% -

does that make repeatable center a ways more easy to find

does that make path easier to repeat with not such a marked in to out path from 0º on a number of strikes
(& maybes shoulder alignment something to pay real attention to at set-up)
in to out at 9º going to place the heel naturally nearest the ball into impact so maybe more subconsciously encourage a flip roll release so more variable club face rotation into the ball - (see Tiger Woods at Chambers)

does that make difference between face angle & path easier to repeat to be nearer a 1:2 ratio

maybes worth while having a good bunch of practice sessions having put a narrow - ish channel with alignment sticks to swing through down either side of the ball
maybes also checking there is not so much lateral shift & hips towards the ball going on through the transition motion into impact - (see Tiger Woods)
so a tad more centered rotation in the motion

Thanks matey, I think I need to work on the face angle and in to out degrees.From what I gather 5-6 degrees is about the limit tolerance for this. if im finding 7's, 8's and 9's then that needs addressing, the alignment sticks wouls be a great tool as you said. The clubs are Titleist MB 710s having had AP2's for around 5 years and more recently MP37's (about a year and a half ago) which were lovely but found I hit a lot of fat shots in the winter with them. I had a quick fling last year with Maxfli Revolution black dots which have larger heads and if anything struggled more with them.
I have a lesson booked for tuesday week so will see how that and some range time works out. I do feel I reach for the ball a little so might see how standing an inch or two closer goes though will take advice on that too. :)

Last edited:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cant work out how to post the charts of mine so some numbers from a few mths ago when on GC2 which may help or not Brendy:

For each club its clubhead speed, ball speed, carry yards, total yards but dont have my driver 3 iron or wedges in there. the really odd number of mine was the clubhead speed on the 9 iron, looks like I had a rest lol

3 wood: 112mph/157mph/252yds/275yds
17 deg Hy: 102mph/143mph/234yds/255yds
4 iron: 96mph/131mph/196yds/212yds
5 iron: 90mph/123mph/179yds/194yds
6 iron: 88mph/120mph/172yds/186yds
7 iron: 85mph/115mph/161yds/173yds
8 iron: 81mph/110mph/149yds/159yds
9 iron: 74mph/100mph/130yds/138yds
PW: 78mph/ 95mph/ 121yds/ 129yds

Some very healthy figures there fella, 112 with the 3w , I take it you simply dont need a driver normally then? or not get on with it?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some very healthy figures there fella, 112 with the 3w , I take it you simply dont need a driver normally then? or not get on with it?

When they were done there was no driver in the bag no, nowadays I have the Driver back in there but have the shaft at 3 wood length to try and get a bit more control. Direction not distance tends to be the issue lol