WWE wrestling

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Took my 8 year old to the O2 last night for the WWE wrestling... What an absolute hoot.

I used to be a big fan of it when I was a lad in the late 80s-2000 and can't believe I'd never been to an event before.

If in doubt... Give it a go.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Took my 8 year old to the O2 last night for the WWE wrestling... What an absolute hoot.

I used to be a big fan of it when I was a lad in the late 80s-2000 and can't believe I'd never been to an event before.

If in doubt... Give it a go.

Used to love it when I was a kid

Not as good as back then as it's the PG era now rather than when the rock and stone cold would take chairs to the head

Hardy boys always a good craic

Always a laugh but does get boring after a while. Great for a day out

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to love it when I was a kid

Not as good as back then as it's the PG era now rather than when the rock and stone cold would take chairs to the head

Hardy boys always a good craic

Always a laugh but does get boring after a while. Great for a day out

100% agree with you .... But last night drew McIntyre and jahinder Mahal had a "London street fight"..... They beat eachother up with a bamboo cane, chair and finally the table came out for your standard power bomb finish ?

I'm 41 going on 13?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to like it, don't watch it now but I get recommended some wrestling stuff on YouTube a lot which I glance at. It seems like WWE is going down the pan and releasing everyone, while their new rivals AEW are going from strength to strength. From what I have seen you just don't have the characters these days, used to love the Rock, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle etc who were funny and charismatic, whereas nowadays they're mostly bland.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to like it, don't watch it now but I get recommended some wrestling stuff on YouTube a lot which I glance it. It seems like WWE is going down the pan and releasing everyone, while their new rivals AEW are going from strength to strength. From what I have seen you just don't have the characters these days, used to love the Rock, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle etc who were funny and charismatic, whereas nowadays they're mostly bland.
I heard an interview with Dwayne Johnson a good few years ago about why WWE was so succesful. 'We have the best scriptwriters' he said, very clearly and frankly. Maybe those scriptwriters have moved on and not been replaced as well?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to like it, don't watch it now but I get recommended some wrestling stuff on YouTube a lot which I glance at. It seems like WWE is going down the pan and releasing everyone, while their new rivals AEW are going from strength to strength. From what I have seen you just don't have the characters these days, used to love the Rock, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle etc who were funny and charismatic, whereas nowadays they're mostly bland.

Cm punk was the one but fell out with the company, mic skill, ring skill

He making come back with aew I think

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I heard an interview with Dwayne Johnson a good few years ago about why WWE was so succesful. 'We have the best scriptwriters' he said, very clearly and frankly. Maybe those scriptwriters have moved on and not been replaced as well?

You can't write things like you used to aswell, what's acceptable now isn't what was then

Triple h and his sledge hammer for example

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Meh, I bet Legion of Doom, the big boss man, and of course, Hulk Hogan was not on the bill. Jake the Snake, the bushwhackers, ultimate warrior, I could go on.. But I have not watched it since these legends!!

D

Deleted member 21258

This takes me back a while ago, went to see a WCW wrestling evening (WCW, i think it was a precursor to WWE) with a friend at Albert Hall, was a cracking night out.

A great laugh and good show.

Ravishing Ricky Rude RIP, I got to touch him, as he went walked past. Let say my friend wasn't jealous:LOL: Even bought the CD with his title song on as a joke.

WCW Rick Rude 6th Theme(With Custom Tron) RIP - YouTube

Would love to go again.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This takes me back a while ago, went to see a WCW wrestling evening (WCW, i think it was a precursor to WWE) with a friend at Albert Hall, was a cracking night out.

A great laugh and good show.

Ravishing Ricky Rude RIP, I got to touch him, as he went walked past. Let say my friend wasn't jealous:LOL: Even bought the CD with his title song on as a joke.

WCW Rick Rude 6th Theme(With Custom Tron) RIP - YouTube

Would love to go again.

WWF was before WWE

Wcw was a seperate company that did so well Vince bought them

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been a fan of wrestling on and off for nearly 30 years. WWE is well past it's best, but AEW (for those who are a fan of the art), is really going from strength to strength. They sold out Arther Ashe stadium last night for a mid-week show. New York is typically a "WWE" town, but there's proof that a sustainable (and entertaining) alternative is available. I get why people think it's cheesy and not entertaining, but it really takes a special skill to put a scripted fight together on the fly (which most wrestlers outside of WWE do), all without actually injuring your opponent. Some of the stuff they do these days is bonkers.

It's just Eastenders but for blokes...easy to watch, switch off entertainment. I'll defend it til I die. :D

Nothing quite like going to see it live though. Even as a mid-thirty-something, going to a "RAW" TV taping in Manchester a few years back, me and the rest of my mates lost our collective poop when the lights went out and the Undertaker's music started.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been a fan of wrestling on and off for nearly 30 years. WWE is well past it's best, but AEW (for those who are a fan of the art), is really going from strength to strength. They sold out Arther Ashe stadium last night for a mid-week show. New York is typically a "WWE" town, but there's proof that a sustainable (and entertaining) alternative is available. I get why people think it's cheesy and not entertaining, but it really takes a special skill to put a scripted fight together on the fly (which most wrestlers outside of WWE do), all without actually injuring your opponent. Some of the stuff they do these days is bonkers.

It's just Eastenders but for blokes...easy to watch, switch off entertainment. I'll defend it til I die. :D

Nothing quite like going to see it live though. Even as a mid-thirty-something, going to a "RAW" TV taping in Manchester a few years back, me and the rest of my mates lost our collective poop when the lights went out and the Undertaker's music started.
Yeah, I don't get why people dismiss it because it's "fake" - maybe because in the late 80s they used to try and pretend it was genuine - but for the most part everybody's favourite TV show is "fake" i.e. scripted. Seems like a weird distinction to make. It's just good fun really, and you either like people throwing themselves off 20 foot ladders or you don't. :LOL:

I don't really get why WWE have released a load of talent recently that they had seemingly invested in, like Strowman and Bray Wyatt/The Fiend for example. I'm not sure who they're pinning their hopes on now, aside from Roman Reigns who's just a bit boring really.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Yep. Great for 8 year olds. :)
Aye that's about it. Took my lad when he was about 8 or 9 to one in Brum, I found the flag-waving whooping adults somewhat embarrassing. However what stuck in my mind was the end, they got some English lad onto the stage and proceeded to batter 7 shades of shite out of him with step-ladders, chairs, and whatever. Yes *we* know it's all fake, but it looked very real, and to a crowd of young kids, I'm no shrinking violet but it made me sick. Would never go back, thankfully grandson has no such interest so unlikely ever to be an issue.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I don't get why people dismiss it because it's "fake" - maybe because in the late 80s they used to try and pretend it was genuine - but for the most part everybody's favourite TV show is "fake" i.e. scripted. Seems like a weird distinction to make. It's just good fun really, and you either like people throwing themselves off 20 foot ladders or you don't. :LOL:

I don't really get why WWE have released a load of talent recently that they had seemingly invested in, like Strowman and Bray Wyatt/The Fiend for example. I'm not sure who they're pinning their hopes on now, aside from Roman Reigns who's just a bit boring really.

Give AEW a chance if you’re still into it. Friday nights on ITV4 for their flagship show. More wrestling, less faff. This week’s (from Arthur Ashe stadium as mentioned) is great so far.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aye that's about it. Took my lad when he was about 8 or 9 to one in Brum, I found the flag-waving whooping adults somewhat embarrassing. However what stuck in my mind was the end, they got some English lad onto the stage and proceeded to batter 7 shades of shite out of him with step-ladders, chairs, and whatever. Yes *we* know it's all fake, but it looked very real, and to a crowd of young kids, I'm no shrinking violet but it made me sick. Would never go back, thankfully grandson has no such interest so unlikely ever to be an issue.
Fake only means scripted outcomes - when they get hit with a chair, they do get hit with a chair.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it Kevin Owens? Some the moves he pulls off with a figure like mine wow

He was at the show I watched yeah... And you're absolutely right, with someone with a dad bod he's got some moves.

There was a tag team I saw called street prophets and another with the Mysterio boys. Honestly I'd slip a disc trying some of the moves

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He was at the show I watched yeah... And you're absolutely right, with someone with a dad bod he's got some moves.

There was a tag team I saw called street prophets and another with the Mysterio boys. Honestly I'd slip a disc trying some of the moves

Then the hardy Boyz doing a flip off a 40 foot ladder? I swear you are suppose to stay on ladders