Would you use a caddy in your weekend medal?

Would you use a caddy in your weekend medal?

• Yes

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 77.0%

• Total voters

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On transit to the Falklands in 1991 we stopped off at Dakar in West Africa. Whilst there a few of us had a game at a nearby golf course. We all employed a local caddie for the round. On checking my bag afterwards my caddie had nicked all of my spare golf balls?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Richmond, N.Yorks, 18th. A fun par 3 where you hit over bushes, hedges, might even be a tree in there. You only know what happens when you walk around to the green. It's odd but fun on an away day. Not sure if the fun would disappear if you played it every week.
I am sure there are a lot.
Just caught me off guard there was a little map on the tee that had pin positions on it and you aimed at the corresponding colour marker on the bank of railway sleepers.
Prestwick is a fantastic golf course but never encountered a blind par 3 before or since.
Just been thinking and that’s about 35 yrs ago.:eek:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
The Dell, 5th hole at the wonderful Lahinch - 165 yards totally blind par 3 - I didn't have a caddie but one of the guys I got paired with did and the person employing him only wanted a bag carrier - the caddy talked me round the course including the tee shot here - I parred it.

No Laying Up have a fine video showing it - link

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Dell, 5th hole at the wonderful Lahinch - 165 yards totally blind par 3 - I didn't have a caddie but one of the guys I got paired with did and the person employing him only wanted a bag carrier - the caddy talked me round the course including the tee shot here - I parred it.

No Laying Up have a fine video showing it - link
That looks brilliant.
I like the caddie.
Just reminded me .
I have played another one the Bell Hole at Appleby GC.
That was a lovely hole with a river beside if I remember correctly.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m playing Cruden Bay in the spring and have thought about having a caddie, which I probably will there but a monthly medal at my own course definitely not.

For one I don’t like the idea of someone carrying my bag and I think it would take away some enjoyment of playing golf if i wasn’t in charge of my clubs and just walked.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
That looks brilliant.
I like the caddie.
Just reminded me .
I have played another one the Bell Hole at Appleby GC.
That was a lovely hole with a river beside if I remember correctly.
When I watched it I actually thought 'Is that the guy who helped me', same sort of age - then realised I'd played it 25 years before the videos made - the lad that I had is probably six feet under years ago.

D

Deleted member 1147

You just need to hope you get a decent caddy, not like the “door handle” who offered to caddy at H4H’s that time ???‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1147

Would rather have a ball spotter than a caddy. Many of us have lost balls in areas that we would be certain we'd find.
yes, I’ve played with people who bring family along to watch (club champs etc). It’s very helpful to their playing partners as well!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Play in loads of team matches with players bringing caddies. No more prestigious than a bounce game never mind a monthly medal.

I hate it.

The combination of arrogance and sychophancy give me actual chills....

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Would rather have a ball spotter than a caddy. Many of us have lost balls in areas that we would be certain we'd find.

That is a great shout! I'm not sure how much use it would be at our place as you can either find it or its very very lost (middle of a gorse bush or in the estuary), but for some courses it would be a massive help.

Tempted to see what my dad is doing on the 9th July for the Open at Silloth now ?.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably not in a medal, but I have had one in a couple of match play comps, only finals though, but mostly because my oppo was having one and made it known he was having one. I've also caddied for a mate in a couple of comps and a couple of matches. He was a good player so didn't really need the help, but I knew his game pretty well. He did say it helped him, in that on club selection when he was in two minds it helped being given another opinion and confirmed his decision.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...He did say it helped him, in that on club selection when he was in two minds it helped being given another opinion and confirmed his decision.
It's surprising how much doubt, or lack of it, can affect a golf swing! At around 155, the yardage of the 1st at 'my regular course' is ho-hum. But virtually surround it with water and it's a completely different beast! Likewise, the 'non-quantifiable' assistance a caddy can give so that the player simply hits the shot. Same with putting. Bad tension is a killer of a golf swing/stroke!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Bringing this back for a question -

If I were to bring a caddy to a pairs match play event at my club - is that allowed?

Is the average joe allowed to use a caddy in a comp?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bringing this back for a question -

If I were to bring a caddy to a pairs match play event at my club - is that allowed?

Is the average joe allowed to use a caddy in a comp?
Yes.
Anyone can have a caddy.

The only thing is make sure he knows what he is doing as in certain cases he can cost you a penalty.