Developing a new gadget for golf would you use it?

How many golf balls do you loss a year?

• Total voters

jonny0987

Hacker
Visit site
Over the past 4 months, I've been developing a golf torch. The torch works in the dark after the last round of the day to find golf balls by lighting them up using UV light. I just wanted to ask everyone's honest feedback if they would use a gadget like this in your bag? Also, could you give any feedback on my website and how to improve it? https://golfballfinder.com

I'm also doing some research on how many golf balls are lost each year per golfer. I've created a poll above it would be great if you could vote too.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't publish idiotic facts on the website. I would argue that no-one on here and the majority are all rather average golfers on here would lose that many (300+) in a year. Many golfers are once a week players and that's six balls a round. We have 28 handicappers in our roll up and even they don't lose that many per round.

To be blunt, I can't see it being a huge must have for most golfers and I can't see anyone wanting to, or indeed being allowed to wander a golf course in the dark. I'm out

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lost about half a doz. And I buy balls that are on offer, or from winnings, or from a good source I have. I'm still working my way through the 2 doz premium balls I bought 2 years ago. Would I waste time and money on a torch? No, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market it for one amongst those that might lose 3-4 a round, assuming they'd be out at dusk...

By the way, excellent marketing site... a bit of poetic licence in there but good luck to you.

Last edited:

jonny0987

Hacker
Visit site
Ok, thanks. I'll change the 300 ball fact it was more of a guess. It's for the last round of the day when it's starting to get dark. I think you would be a millionaire if you invented one for during the day.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Would you ever use second hand balls you pick up hobbit?

No, they go in the practice bag. I rarely lose balls, but that might because I rarely miss fairways... you're pitching it to the wrong person.

Also, I try to practice with the balls I normally use out on the course. I 'retire' a ball to the practice bag more often than not.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the past 4 months, I've been developing a golf torch. The torch works in the dark after the last round of the day to find golf balls by lighting them up using UV light. I just wanted to ask everyone's honest feedback if they would use a gadget like this in your bag? Also, could you give any feedback on my website and how to improve it? https://golfballfinder.com

I'm also doing some research on how many golf balls are lost each year per golfer. I've created a poll above it would be great if you could vote too.
Have you ever been on a golf course in the dark.
anywhere there is no light would be dangerous if you fell and hurt yourself you would be in trouble if inaccessible and the ambulance crew would not be happy just for a few balls .
I would not use one sorry.

D

Deleted member 16999

My course has a public footpath going through it and a houseing estate on one side, Dog walkers are always on the course, a few at night, a lot more at dusk and dawn.
I could see your torch appealing to them rather than Golfers.
I think people would be surprised how many kids/teenagers are on some Golf Courses at night.
Good luck.

You often see 2nd Golf balls for sale at Car Boot sales and I wonder were theyget them from.

jonny0987

Hacker
Visit site
My course has a public footpath going through it and a houseing estate on one side, Dog walkers are always on the course, a few at night, a lot more at dusk and dawn.
I could see your torch appealing to them rather than Golfers.
I think people would be surprised how many kids/teenagers are on some Golf Courses at night.
Good luck.

You often see 2nd Golf balls for sale at Car Boot sales and I wonder were theyget them from.
Yeah good point, so maybe the target market would be for kids/teenagers and people going for a stroll and night around the course with their dog or something?

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate bought a uv torch on amazon last year and we used a couple of times when we were playing a bounce game in the dimming sun.....worked a treat, found loads of balls

Think he paid a fiver for it....bargain :thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

Yeah good point, so maybe the target market would be for kids/teenagers and people going for a stroll and night around the course with their dog or something?
If it's marketed correctly you'll also find a lot of Golfers will end up with one as an unwanted Christmas present from family members who haven't got a clue and will think the Golfer will want one.

D

Deleted member 16999

My mate bought a uv torch on amazon last year and we used a couple of times when we were playing a bounce game in the dimming sun.....worked a treat, found loads of balls

Think he paid a fiver for it....bargain :thup:

Aaagh, the old "me mate" bought one, you mean yourself don't you :)

jonny0987

Hacker
Visit site
anywhere there is no light would be dangerous if you fell and hurt yourself you would be in trouble if inaccessible and the ambulance crew would not be happy just for a few balls.

Thank's for your comment, but I think everyone is health and safety crazy these days. No one would leave their house at night then because it's too dark and they might hurt themselves.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
Golf balls which are "lost" on a golf course are, I believe, property of the golf club. Some might object to people wandering around the course at night searching for balls.

Additionally golf courses tend to be totally unlit at night and can be fairly dangerous places - rabbit holes, fallen branches, gorse bushes etc that you might expect to find in areas of rough. So there's the issue of trespass and health and safety. I think you may be on fairly dodgy ground here.

jonny0987

Hacker
Visit site
Golf balls which are "lost" on a golf course are, I believe, property of the golf club. Some might object to people wandering around the course at night searching for balls.

Additionally golf courses tend to be totally unlit at night and can be fairly dangerous places - rabbit holes, fallen branches, gorse bushes etc that you might expect to find in areas of rough. So there's the issue of trespass and health and safety. I think you may be on fairly dodgy ground here.

Have you ever picked up a lost golf ball before? Yeah I can't see golf courses loving loads of people on their course at night. For course with public walks through them might be more relevant.

Last edited:

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
Have you ever picked up a lost golf ball before?

Whilst playing golf yes. No golf club is going to object to that. Besides I've lost more than I've found over the years.

Some, especially those with a lot of water, employ people to collect "lost" balls to resell in the pro shop. They might object to people going onto the course specifically to hunt for balls.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
anywhere there is no light would be dangerous if you fell and hurt yourself you would be in trouble if inaccessible and the ambulance crew would not be happy just for a few balls .

Add in the fact that most golf courses are private property anyway, and land in out of bounds areas may even be privately owned by another landowner. Certainly clubs will not be insured for members to be wandering around at night looking for balls and would not allow it. I could even see it having impact on being allowed to be a member if caught, certainly more than once. Whether you like it or not H&S is here to stay and will have a big impact on the feasibility of your product