How many shots would you take off your score with a caddy?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After reading the Are Caddies Needed thread, I thought I'd ask the burning question.

If you had a proper tour caddy, who new the course you are playing inside out, had all your yardages, had mapped out the greens in their little red book, advised on wind / weather conditions, could line you up for putting if you needed / wanted... everything that comes with a caddy, including (if it is necessary) calming you down over a short birdie putt or talking you down from trying to make the par 5 in 2 or carry the water with your driver off the tee etc... how many shots would you take off your round?

Personally, I think I could knock off one or two off at least, if not 3 or 4. I've sometimes talked my PP's out of silly shots and advised on wind etc where they've thanked me for it - I think a professional doing this through 18 holes could be quite beneficial.

Obviously, there is still the small point of hitting a good shot, which I understand. Saying that, a 3rd party to give an honest opinion might help me to keep the game more consistant. If I started to overswing / get to fast etc, having someone there to point it out and remind me of a few fundimentals would surely help?

What do you think?

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had a caddy recently at The Grove and it was a fantastic experience it took a bit of getting used to but we clicked on the back 9 and I scored 20 stableford points on the last eight holes. I think if you had a the same guy week in week out you really could improve and get 4-5 shots off. The ego massage they give you really helps with confidence.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say 3 shots minimum. The calming factor would certainly help. Obviously as you say, the odd bad contact and thin or fat shot is going to occur. But I think what the caddie would bring to the table would out weigh a normal round with a few duff shots in there. Would probably make me more nervous originally though!

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
I would say it depends on the handicap of the player. I believe a high handicap player could see as much as a 5/6 shot saving if the caddy is with them for a week. As a rough guide I'm going to take a stab at 20% improvement on handicap across the board. So a 10 handicap would benefit 2 shots.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would say it depends on the handicap of the player. I believe a high handicap player could see as much as a 5/6 shot saving if the caddy is with them for a week. As a rough guide I'm going to take a stab at 20% improvement on handicap across the board. So a 10 handicap would benefit 2 shots.

Id sort of agree with this, probably the higher the handicap the more shots it would save. Mostly on course management i should say.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As someone who has used caddies in an earlier life, a good one is worth a couple of shots, a bad one adds two shots.

An 18 handicapper playing North Berwick, Prestwick, Royal North Devon or TOC with a good caddy for the first, time I would say 6 to 8 shots.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I agree with this.

I was playing against Andrew Carman (look him up) in a pairs (friendly) comp and he had a high handicap senior (79) with him, after a few holes and the senior was reaching for a certain club he was telling him to club up sometimes by as many as 2, as he started to listen to Andrew more, even when he told him to club down to his favorite club whatever that may be because he wouldn't reach, he started hitting greens either in regulation or was just short of the hazards and chipping that close he was still parring holes out of fashion, the old fella had the round of his life and we worked out afterwards he had 24 putts :eek:

So, I think we all think we can make a certain shot because no doubt we've made it before, but probably only 3/10, as such to flip that over I'd rather be through the green 3/10 and single putting the other 7, so I think you're right Jason, a good caddie that can recognise something quickly can take a fistful of shots of a mid to high handicap player quite quickly.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say a good few, the first time i played the Old Course in St Andrews i played with a former Forum member who is a very good golfer but also a former caddy there ,he knew what line to take and what club, i shot 80 a week after the Dunhill links, great having that experience or i would have been hitting it on all the wrong lines

D

Deleted member 15344

I personally don't think it would make much difference to the average club golfer

From what I have seen most of the shots handicap golfers lose on a golf course is down the execution of the shot as opposed to anything that can be affected by the addition of a caddy

For the guys who can strike the ball well on a consistent basis ( top ams , low cat 1 etc ) then could see one help them knock one or two shots of a score

The one area that could see a club handicapper get a bit of extra help would be on the greens but even then knowing the line is half the battle.

Caddies are part of a well oiled team with a pro - the caddy knows to the cm how far his player hits each club , knows each course inside and out , knows his players strengths and knows where best his player should play the ball too and how they should play each hole - that's gained from that player being able to consistently hit the ball to the level you would expect a pro to do - a club HC golfer doesn't do that - it's a mixed bag.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I've asked Mike Harris to do a feature one month pairing one or two top class caddies (in a week when their player has missed an event or hasn't qualified for a Major) with one of us Amateurs in their club competition or an external Mid-Am, Pro-Am event. I'm convinced they would help so much with course management, club selection (we always come up short), putting (picking the line) & generally calming us down during tense moments.

I've had a few amateur caddies in Trilby Tour events & in a couple of other comps and they certainly help to a point if only as reassurance. A professional caddy would bring a lot to the table.

I'm willing to bet a decent caddy would get me round 3-4 shots better than I would have shot on any given day (I'm a 5 H'cap) irrespective of the conditions. I.e. Turn a 80 round into a 76 or better. What they could do for a higher handicapper is subjective but would be great to find out in a live event.

Over to you Mike...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've asked Mike Harris to do a feature one month pairing one or two top class caddies (in a week when their player has missed an event or hasn't qualified for a Major) with one of us Amateurs in their club competition or an external Mid-Am, Pro-Am event. I'm convinced they would help so much with course management, club selection (we always come up short), putting (picking the line) & generally calming us down during tense moments.

I've had a few amateur caddies in Trilby Tour events & in a couple of other comps and they certainly help to a point if only as reassurance. A professional caddy would bring a lot to the table.

I'm willing to bet a decent caddy would get me round 3-4 shots better than I would have shot on any given day (I'm a 5 H'cap) irrespective of the conditions. I.e. Turn a 80 round into a 76 or better. What they could do for a higher handicapper is subjective but would be great to find out in a live event.

Over to you Mike...

Great idea, I must admit when I'm in a pairs comp with a low Cat 1 player or the ability to be or has been Cat 1 before they bring the best out of me, I don't try to chase or match them, they settle me down, always offer encouragement and the advise at time is invaluable, I can only see exactly the same with a quality caddie at the helm.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I personally don't think it would make much difference to the average club golfer

From what I have seen most of the shots handicap golfers lose on a golf course is down the execution of the shot as opposed to anything that can be affected by the addition of a caddy

For the guys who can strike the ball well on a consistent basis ( top ams , low cat 1 etc ) then could see one help them knock one or two shots of a score

The one area that could see a club handicapper get a bit of extra help would be on the greens but even then knowing the line is half the battle.

Caddies are part of a well oiled team with a pro - the caddy knows to the cm how far his player hits each club , knows each course inside and out , knows his players strengths and knows where best his player should play the ball too and how they should play each hole - that's gained from that player being able to consistently hit the ball to the level you would expect a pro to do - a club HC golfer doesn't do that - it's a mixed bag.

This makes sense

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a mid handicapper the problem I have is my own incompetence can cost shots and the best caddy isn't going to fix that. However in terms of yardages, club selection and plotting my way round, especially one I haven't played before. Interesting concept and a good discussion point. I might chuck it out there in the four ball at the weekend

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The course knowledge would be the deciding factor. On a course they knew and I didn't it could be 5 shots or so

On a course I played week in week out I doubt it would save anything other than my legs and back.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I reckon a top class caddy would be worth 2-3 shots on average to me once they knew me and my game (my strengths and weaknesses) through spot-on yardages, strategy improvement and general moral support. On new courses the support would be invaluable.

A very good caddy is worth their weight in Pro V1's...

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Over to you Mike...

Like.

That would be an amazing experience and a great article for the mag. Since you suggested it and I started the thread... I think we're the natural picks for this, no?

I'm a 17 handicapper too, so one good single figure handicapper, one mid handicapper, the spread is nice and even.

:)

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure.

Every week on my home course. Not sure it would make a great deal of difference. Might save a me a shot every few rounds from talking me out of something stupid I guess.

On a course I'm not familiar with could easily save 5-6 shots I guess.

I tend to play quite conservative so don't throw a lot of shots away and keep big numbers off the card. If I get in trouble I'll get myself back in play. It was interesting when I had a recent on course lesson with my pro and she was actually getting me to be a more aggressive not less which was interesting. So having a caddie there might help reinforce that.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

depending on what you class as an average golfer, i am shocked you dont think it would make much difference. Give me a 24 handicapper that i've never met before on a course i've never seen before and i am 100% certain i would knock at least 3 shots off there round.

It shocks me how badly some players think and they approach they take.

It also helps that i use aimpoint express, so every read is correct :whistle:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The OP refers to a tour caddy who knows the course, my game and me inside out...........they'd be worth a couple of shots (at least) each round to me.