Would you use a caddy in your weekend medal?

Would you use a caddy in your weekend medal?

• Yes

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 67 77.0%

• Total voters

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Someone to keep my clubs dry if it was raining could be useful but basically for me it's a no even leaving out the ribbing.. I know the lines well enough on my own course to play what I think is the optimal shot and would rather be responsible for my own decisions. I am not a great putter but whenever I have played a foursomes with people who are better putters than me I have never found their reading skills helpful.
A caddy on a course that is unknown to me would potentially be of great benefit as I am not always sure of the best lines but I'm too tight fisted to employ one unless it was a very special occasion.

caddies.jpg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised how many people have said that they wouldn't want a caddie to be honest (Assuming that you wouldn't get mocked and it's free). There's a reason why everyone on the pro tour has a caddie,
One reason is that it's compulsory, some pros essentially use them as bag carriers or companions.
The nature of medals are that no one uses caddies and as the basis of the competition is handicapped suddenly introducing a caddy would certainly feel to me against the spirit of the competition.
I have never had a playing lesson and I may be missing some obvious bits of strategy but on my own course I am sceptical that a caddy would benefit me.

BigPhil14

Visit site
One reason is that it's compulsory, some pros essentially use them as bag carriers or companions.
The nature of medals are that no one uses caddies and as the basis of the competition is handicapped suddenly introducing a caddy would certainly feel to me against the spirit of the competition.
I have never had a playing lesson and I may be missing some obvious bits of strategy but on my own course I am sceptical that a caddy would benefit me.

I believe it's only the PGA tour (and maybe European tour?) that require a caddie. The vast majority of pros on the lower tours either use them, or I'm sure would if they could afford them. In this hypothetical situation I had assumed that everyone would have been offered/ have the ability to have a caddie. In that case, personally I definitely would as I would see it as an advantage and provide me my best opportunity to score as well as possible. As I said, I'm just surprised how many people think that someone whos sole job is there to help you, wouldn't provide them with help. Each to their own though.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe it's only the PGA tour (and maybe European tour?) that require a caddie. The vast majority of pros on the lower tours either use them, or I'm sure would if they could afford them. In this hypothetical situation I had assumed that everyone would have been offered/ have the ability to have a caddie. In that case, personally I definitely would as I would see it as an advantage and provide me my best opportunity to score as well as possible. As I said, I'm just surprised how many people think that someone whos sole job is there to help you, wouldn't provide them with help. Each to their own though.
I was listening to the Hack it Out podcast on my way back from work today and there was a caddy on as a guest. I may be wrong as I wasn't listening that closely but I thought he said all the significant male tours had compulsory caddies though not the women's ones.
Mark Crossfield had said when he had to use a caddy he hadn't enjoyed it.
Now I dare say if you get a caddy who you gradually build an understanding with they could be of benefit.
But as a one off on my own course I am sceptical they would be of much benefit to me.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Who's the caddy?

A PGA Tour caddy would probably be invaluable in strategy, green reading, psychology. But I'm a below average club hacker, so an equivalent below average club caddy would be as big a liability as I am.

Last edited:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played in groups where there has been a Dad caddying for their kid, under the illusion that they can make it.

Always makes for a slow and unpleasant round particularly if the kid isn’t playing well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not in a medal - but I might well use a caddy if I reached the final of a main club board comp or maybe 2nd round of club champs if I was in serious contention.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had the pleasure of playing with someone in scratch matches a few times and club champs who have decided a caddy would be a good idea, usually having never had one or considered how it would impact them. TBH based on those Ive played against more than happy to see oppo turn up with one, never seen it benefit the player and in one case saw two good mates completely fall out and almost come to blows as one of them added a 90+ to his 69 in the clubs champs he had shot on the prev day on his own

The only time I could see a big benefit would be in bad weather where a caddy could keep the club etc dry enabling me to just worry about myself

sunshine

Visit site
At our club champs last year we did have 1 person use a caddie. 36 holes in 1 day, so I can kinda see why he did it, but I think it was literally just one of his mates to push his clubs around for him. Given he had an electric trolley I'm not sure it was needed. He didnt win either.

sounds like a right fin du cloche*

*copyright heftyhacker

sunshine

Visit site
I would genuinely feel awkward employing a servant to carry my bag around.

Totally different scenario if I was on tour, or playing in a special event like a pro-am.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never done it and I probably never will - it would open the door to too much mickey-taking. However, I think it would improve my scoring to have someone with me talking through shots, reading greens and generally relaxing me - even if they're not carrying the bag. Imagine a singles matchplay final against someone who doesn't talk and you don't get on with - it would definitely help in that circumstance so why not in a medal as well?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would genuinely feel awkward employing a servant to carry my bag around.

Totally different scenario if I was on tour, or playing in a special event like a pro-am.

I’ve never thought of a caddy as “the help” ? Only ever had 4, all at Open rota venues. I think of us more like a team, he’s helping me score the best I can on a top class golf course so I enjoy a very rare occasion to the full. I’ve always had great banter with any caddy I’ve had, sure you’re paying them but it doesn’t mean ye can’t strike up a friendship for a few hours. I think back very fondly of the very decent blokes who have caddied for me, whether they’d say the same I’m not so sure ?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The best I've ever had was at Kingsbarns. I did have a day of days (42 points, humble brag) but he was brilliant at dragging my head off the floor. I came up short at the 15th and then shank-chipped one onto the rocks from nowhere, I was level par at the time and absolutely terrified at the prospect of a good score and he basically talked at me for the last three holes and we had a massive hug on the 18th. He told me what to do on every putt and every club to hit, never met anyone who was so into it. If he hadn't have been there I would have probably doubled the last three.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve had my BiL caddy for me and I him in the past. Usually when one of us was injured but still wanted to get on the course or was playing in a decent comp.

That includes the weekly stableford, monthly medel, club, county and national events/matches.

Both of us had similar approaches to our game, although he was much better and longer than I, so it worked well.

For weekly club comps we just had a laugh, often playing where the caddy chose all the clubs and shots. It was good fun.

For the bigger events we took it as seriously as the pair of us was capable of being, and had some reasonable success.

sunshine

Visit site
I’ve had my BiL caddy for me and I him in the past. Usually when one of us was injured but still wanted to get on the course or was playing in a decent comp.

That includes the weekly stableford, monthly medel, club, county and national events/matches.

Both of us had similar approaches to our game, although he was much better and longer than I, so it worked well.

For weekly club comps we just had a laugh, often playing where the caddy chose all the clubs and shots. It was good fun.

For the bigger events we took it as seriously as the pair of us was capable of being, and had some reasonable success.

Nice. I can see how this would be fun if you are mates.

But wouldn't you rather play with him in the monthly medal rather than caddy for him?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
For a monthly medal at my home course? Absolutely not. I know my course like the back of my hand, where to go and where not to go (I visit the latter all too often), and what shots to hit or not hit.

I know my failings, and don’t think any amount of advice from a well meaning caddy is going to stop me from going ? or bust from the second cut, 200 yards out, when I need to hit a once-in-a-lifetime controlled draw round a tree, keeping it beneath the branches, to make the green. Taking those shots on is all part of being a club golfer, and being told not to would merely spoil my fun.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I've never had a caddy, but I've been lucky enough to be paired up at Prestwick and The Old Course with guys that did. Both of the caddies were really decent guys who even gave me a few helpful tips, so I gave them a tenner at the end of the round for a beer.

I think around the Old Course you can survive without a caddy, but at Prestwick... That place is barmy and a couple of times if my playing partner didn't have a caddy, I would have probably hit the ball in the complete opposite direction.

I should also add that I did actually have someone carrying my bag those days - my wife. No tips for her though - she gets repaid every day of the year with my company :cry:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never had a caddy, but I've been lucky enough to be paired up at Prestwick and The Old Course with guys that did. Both of the caddies were really decent guys who even gave me a few helpful tips, so I gave them a tenner at the end of the round for a beer.

I think around the Old Course you can survive without a caddy, but at Prestwick... That place is barmy and a couple of times if my playing partner didn't have a caddy, I would have probably hit the ball in the complete opposite direction.

I should also add that I did actually have someone carrying my bag those days - my wife. No tips for her though - she gets repaid every day of the year with my company :cry:
Prestwick is the only course I have ever played where you can’t see the green on a par 3.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Prestwick is the only course I have ever played where you can’t see the green on a par 3.
Richmond, N.Yorks, 18th. A fun par 3 where you hit over bushes, hedges, might even be a tree in there. You only know what happens when you walk around to the green. It's odd but fun on an away day. Not sure if the fun would disappear if you played it every week.