Would you say anything?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can someone confirm if she in fact broke any rule based on the information we have in this thread?

With what we've read then the guys did but surely this wouldn't effect her score unless she asked for the advice & we've read nothing to suggest that it happened like that

Can you put a penalty on the junior if she's not seeking the advice?

If that were true wouldn't it be all too easy to tell the guy leading by one from your mate with you 2 shots further back & all on the 18th fairway that 'a 6 iron is the best club for his approach', hey presto he gets a penalty (so do you but your mate wins)

From the info we have there is no penalty for her to answer to. It is not against the rules to accept the advice offered by others.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its a bit of a bollocks rule anyway as pros ALWAYS have a caddie to debate every single aspect of every shot. even if your playing partners give you info you always have to make a decision on EXACTLY what YOU want to do with each shot. my cousin told me once that he hit an 8 iron to a par 3 when he really hit a wedge and i flew my 8iron out the back. he was 3 down after 4 in this particular friendly match.

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
Im sorry, but you my friend are one of the many reasons why the numbers of Juniors taking up the game of golf are dwindling. She got a couple of swing tips, big deal! If she had manufactured her score card then maybe. In fact I think she should be praised for putting a score together whilst getting tips, because there is nothing worse than having numerous swing thoughts in your head whilst standing over the ball!

Well done to the lass, hopefully its the first of many for her!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sorry 2down and playing rubbish then :whistle:

i was unaware that you couldnt do that. and since it was just a friendly game between us i made sure to call him many a name then proceed to knuckle down and take the pound for front back and overall.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If that were true wouldn't it be all too easy to tell the guy leading by one from your mate with you 2 shots further back & all on the 18th fairway that 'a 6 iron is the best club for his approach', hey presto he gets a penalty (so do you but your mate wins)

He wouldn't be penalised if he didn't seek advice and/or use it, but the giver of the advice would be penalised

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
i was unaware that you couldnt do that. and since it was just a friendly game between us i made sure to call him many a name then proceed to knuckle down and take the pound for front back and overall.

If I remember correctly...

If your opponent hits his tee shot to a par 3 before you and turns to you and say something like
'that's the best 6 iron I've hit today'
or
'I didn't think I'd reach with a 4'

then that's giving advice and you are within your rights to claim the hole.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I remember correctly...

If your opponent hits his tee shot to a par 3 before you and turns to you and say something like
'that's the best 6 iron I've hit today'
or
'I didn't think I'd reach with a 4'

nearly sure i heard seve and co were always at this carry on. was it not on the bbc seve documentary.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im sorry, but you my friend are one of the many reasons why the numbers of Juniors taking up the game of golf are dwindling. She got a couple of swing tips, big deal! If she had manufactured her score card then maybe. In fact I think she should be praised for putting a score together whilst getting tips, because there is nothing worse than having numerous swing thoughts in your head whilst standing over the ball!

Well done to the lass, hopefully its the first of many for her!

The number of Junior players are dwindling because the OP hasnt done anything except ask the question on here? Really?

I'm all for helping juniors but it they leave the game because when they play in a competition the club captain isn't allowed to line them up for shots and tell them what they should be doing then maybe they shouldn't be playing in the first place. I've no problem with her playing in the fourball to get the experience and NOT actually playing in the competition but if your actually competing against other players it should be a level playing field.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the captain should never have been lining her up and giving actual swing lessons on the course. this i have have no beef with. have any of you ever pulled a friend up for using an iphone during a competition. this is against the rules as it has compass capabilities. ive seen rory mcilroy on his iphone during the irish open. no offical or fellow player pulled him up for this obvious rule infringment.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
the captain should never have been lining her up and giving actual swing lessons on the course. this i have have no beef with. have any of you ever pulled a friend up for using an iphone during a competition. this is against the rules as it has compass capabilities. ive seen rory mcilroy on his iphone during the irish open. no offical or fellow player pulled him up for this obvious rule infringment.

If they were using it as a DMD then they would be breaching the rule. Using it as a phone or to consult the rules via the rules app is not a breech. Rory was probably on twitter!

http://www.randa.org/RandA/News/News/2010/August/Joint-Statement-on-Electronic-Devices.aspx

This is another example of a commonly misunderstood rule and have seen it as the center of many arguments.

Last edited:

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If they were using it as a DMD then they would be breaching the rule. Using it as a phone or to consult the rules via the rules app is not a breech. Rory was probably on twitter!

http://www.randa.org/RandA/News/News/2010/August/Joint-Statement-on-Electronic-Devices.aspx

This is another example of a commonly misunderstood rule and have seen it as the center of many arguments.

Hang on so I can use my IPhone on the course with all the "illegal" measuring elements on it but if I use it as a DMD that doesn't utilise any of those "illegal" measuring devices I'd be disqualified? Possibly the most stupid rule I've ever heard.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

& not wishing to start another but I understood that using an i-phone such as described would still be a breach of rules (as per your link) as the device has a compass app etc built in (whether accessed/used by the player or not, its still a breach)

There are sections on DMD's as well as a seperate section on multi function devices (i-phones) and the rules differ for both

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
& not wishing to start another but I understood that using an i-phone such as described would still be a breach of rules (as per your link) as the device has a compass app etc built in (whether accessed/used by the player or not, its still a breach)

There are sections on DMD's as well as a seperate section on multi function devices (i-phones) and the rules differ for both

No separate sections that I am aware. DMDs and Multifunction devices are covered by Rule 14-3 with Appendix IV section 5 providing more detailed information. The important part of the joint statement is highlighted below. The compass element of the iphone only renders in nonconforming as a DMD it doesn't ban it's use as a communication device (as long as it isn't used to ask for advise from say a swing coach).

Decision 14-3/16 also provides further "clarification" for want of a better word. Mainly because if we are having this convo the the rules aren't exactly clear.
3. Multi-functional devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, etc (i.e. devices that are primarily communication devices, but which may have other potential uses) may be used as follows:
  • The device may be used for any non-golfing purpose (e.g. as a communication tool to phone, text or email), subject to any club / course regulations and the Rules on accessing advice-related matters – see Decision 14-3/16.
  • When the Local Rule is in effect, a distance-measuring application may be used, provided the specific application is restricted to “distance only” and the device does not have any other “non-conforming” features. This is the case even if these other features are not being used. As above, the Rules on advice-related communications (including the use of the internet) still apply

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Again so we can be trusted not to cheat if not using the IPhone as a DMD but as soon as it tells us a yardage we won't be able to resist checking which way North is? Like I said, stupid rule.

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
The number of Junior players are dwindling because the OP hasnt done anything except ask the question on here? Really?

I'm all for helping juniors but it they leave the game because when they play in a competition the club captain isn't allowed to line them up for shots and tell them what they should be doing then maybe they shouldn't be playing in the first place. I've no problem with her playing in the fourball to get the experience and NOT actually playing in the competition but if your actually competing against other players it should be a level playing field.

No he asked on here if he should report her, for getting a little bit of encouragement in the game we all love. The Captain in my opinion is doing his duty for the club, helping a young lass along, giving her a reason to want to be a member of that club because someone has taken an interest in her development.

I should probably said his attitude.

As I said previously, I think shes done well to hold a score together to win if someones been telling her to get the club into position etc. Juniors should be given all the help they can get.

If you invited a visitor to your course for a tournament, would you give them targets for drives etc??

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No he asked on here if he should report her, for getting a little bit of encouragement in the game we all love. The Captain in my opinion is doing his duty for the club, helping a young lass along, giving her a reason to want to be a member of that club because someone has taken an interest in her development.

I should probably said his attitude.

As I said previously, I think shes done well to hold a score together to win if someones been telling her to get the club into position etc. Juniors should be given all the help they can get.

If you invited a visitor to your course for a tournament, would you give them targets for drives etc??
You make it sound like its the first time she has ever played golf when the OP made it quite clear that she was a decent player. For all you know she has been playing for a couple of years. Like I said give all the advise and encouragement you want in a friendly round etc but in a competition she should have been following the same rules as everyone else. Suppose a married couple were playing in the comp and the husband was lining up all the wives putts as she has only been playing a few months and she ends up beating the 14 year old girl? Is it fair then?

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I asked the question if anyone else would have reported it I never said I was going to.

And the captain should also be doing his duty to make sure members abide the rules of golf in all completions no matter what there age/ability or sex is.

Rules are not there to be used when and where people want to suit them.