Would you rather?

User20204

Visit site
And I can't see any relevance to the question being posed in bringing tour player stats into it as 'proof'..completely irrelevant.

The original question is would YOU so hence why such a range of interpretation but I disagree saying it's completely irrelevant, it's perfectly relevant IMO. If they see it as a huge factor in scoring low(er) then why can't i/we.

Every teaching pro in the business nowadays are teaching players to bomb it and I'm referring to teaching young up and coming players, not your local club player hacker, to get it down there then they will work on straightening things out afterwards, as they say, if you haven't got distance in the first place, you're unlikely to find it later.

Anyone that kids themselves that length off the tee isn't a big deal is kidding themselves (yes I know I've went of course)

User20204

Visit site
If im holing out 100% from 10ft and in, with my current ability's within my game. I’d be scratch or plus figures.
If I’m maxing out drives on holes where driving is required but still playing the rest of the game to my current ability I honestly don’t think I’d get as low.
I’d like to think I’m a good putter too, but 10ft( a shade over 3m) is a good putt to sink.
How many times has few good putts saved a round compared to beemed drives

I have no idea of your ability but I very much doubt holing all putts from 10ft in would solely make you scartch or better much like bombing drives alone wouldn't make me scratch either.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no idea of your ability but I very much doubt holing all putts from 10ft in would solely make you scartch or better much like bombing drives alone wouldn't make me scratch either.
:Off thread:
I play off 3.
I’m consistent enough to hit a high% of GIR.
Dropping more putts would 100% get me to scratch or better. ( I keep an eye on my stats)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The original question is would YOU so hence why such a range of interpretation but I disagree saying it's completely irrelevant, it's perfectly relevant IMO. If they see it as a huge factor in scoring low(er) then why can't i/we.

Every teaching pro in the business nowadays are teaching players to bomb it and I'm referring to teaching young up and coming players, not your local club player hacker, to get it down there then they will work on straightening things out afterwards, as they say, if you haven't got distance in the first place, you're unlikely to find it later.

Anyone that kids themselves that length off the tee isn't a big deal is kidding themselves (yes I know I've went of course)
You are contradicting yourself - and highlighting my point very well.

The question is about you - young up and coming players are not a significant representation of those responding!

More specifically (for the tour pros) the issue is whether you can get to a green in 1 shot less; or not. Massive issue when you consider that improving your stroke average by 1 shot (say playing to +9 rather than +8) will multiply your earnings rather than just increase them a bit.
For anyone playing to scratch or higher it's simply not going to be the iggest scoring issue.
Put another way most tour vans will tell you theat their players will bite their hands off for 4 yds distance - most handicap golfers have a greater distance dispersion with their wedge than that.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you don’t then you’d take the drive.....14 fairways.... min 12 greens inc par 3s as you have some skill.....gives you a rough 72 at worst every round.....

Miss 2 tee shots....drop 4.....fighting to make 72 at best.....
All play at 6400+ and our Sunday best drives would be between 260 and 300 depending on conditions. Today we all drove the ball well but could have putted better ,none of my drives today put me in any bother but I missed 2 putts from inside 10 foot so my 2 under would have been 4 under .
We have skill levels that mean if we miss the fairway we can recover and make par, not all the time but most times :sneaky:

User20204

Visit site
Asked the question to the fourball I was playing in today, all Seniors and handicaps 1, 3 and two 5's and we all took the putting .

I'm going to suspect that the three of them are consistent drivers of the ball ??

:Off thread:
I play off 3.
I’m consistent enough to hit a high% of GIR.
Dropping more putts would 100% get me to scratch or better. ( I keep an eye on my stats)

Again, I'll hazard a guess you are a consistent driver of the ball ??

As I said in my reply about MY driving, I'm not, it's the strongest part of my game and my weakest, when it's on, I'm as good as most, when it's off, I'm as bad as many.

I've often zapped my PP's when I'm driving well, it ranges between 60 and 90 yards longer than them, that is a massive advantage over them, difference is, they are always down the middle, myself, not always.

User20204

Visit site
Asked the question to the fourball I was playing in today, all Seniors and handicaps 1, 3 and two 5's and we all took the putting .

All play at 6400+ and our Sunday best drives would be between 260 and 300 depending on conditions.

That is mighty impressive hitting for seniors, regardless of their handicaps. I know a couple of plus seniors at my club and I'm generally longer than them and I'm not near 300.

Links course ?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to suspect that the three of them are consistent drivers of the ball ??

Yup all four us are but can be streaky putters ;)

Again, I'll hazard a guess you are a consistent driver of the ball ??

As I said in my reply about MY driving, I'm not, it's the strongest part of my game and my weakest, when it's on, I'm as good as most, when it's off, I'm as bad as many.

I've often zapped my PP's when I'm driving well, it ranges between 60 and 90 yards longer than them, that is a massive advantage over them, difference is, they are always down the middle, myself, not always.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All play at 6400+ and our Sunday best drives would be between 260 and 300 depending on conditions. Today we all drove the ball well but could have putted better ,none of my drives today put me in any bother but I missed 2 putts from inside 10 foot so my 2 under would have been 4 under .
We have skill levels that mean if we miss the fairway we can recover and make par, not all the time but most times :sneaky:
That is mighty impressive hitting for seniors, regardless of their handicaps. I know a couple of plus seniors at my club and I'm generally longer than them and I'm not near 300.

Links course ?

They’re all off to the OAP Q School in Jan too as well......