Would you rather?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely it depends on how straight and how far YOUR maximum drives are. Sadly mines isn't that far anymore :cry: but they're usually in the middle :D.
So every putt a defo gimmie from 10 feet in sounds good

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
How short off the tee do you think the top 5 players in the world are ?
Does it matter, they all hit the ball a long way.
Hitting it the longest does not mean you’ll win. It has to be combined with other gains . The guy that is ranked 1st in SG: off the tee doesn’t win as much as you’d expect, same goes for SG: putting.
It’s the overall SG gained that wins.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Defenitely take the putts
Hole everything from 10ft, for sure

I think more low cappers would prob take the driver thinking they'd take care of the shots on the green most of the time anyway

User20204

Visit site
Molinari was always reckoned to be a poor putter until he started to have lessons from one of the putting gurus. It is what turned him in to a major winner.

As stated above, I think the extra 30 yards on his driving made a bigger difference, although in the purple patch he had, he didn't seem to miss anything and was only til Tiger put the heat on at Augusta late on did he miss anything there.

D

Deleted member 1147

When was the last time you 3 stabbed vs the last time you 3 off the tee’d.
I often avoid 3 putts, but I also often hit tee shots into the semi, under trees, get blocked out etc

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
How often does a 3 stab cost you a double or a triple as opposed to OB off the tee ?
For me, not very often. But for high hcp’ers it’ll be pretty level.
But that’s getting away from the point.
If you hit every drive your max on the fairway (dependant on course layout, you still have par 3’s to contend with) you’d still have a greater potential for gain with gimmies from 10ft

User20204

Visit site
For me, not very often. But for high hcp’ers it’ll be pretty level.
But that’s getting away from the point.
If you hit every drive your max on the fairway (dependant on course layout, you still have par 3’s to contend with) you’d still have a greater potential for gain with gimmies from 10ft

If I'm hitting par 3s in regulation, and I'm inside 10 feet I'm hoping to make them anyway for birdie, if I'm outside 10ft then I'm fairly hopeful I can two putt for par anyway.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's clearly a wide range of interpretation of what the driver option in this question offers - there's no way my 3 off the tee state gets close to 2/3 of my missing from 10ft and in; and that's before considering the positive elements on my shots from knowing I will sink it within 10ft!
Fwiw there were only 2 holes at Tandridge where even hit driver - because the best offered by this choice wouldn't have made a significant difference (and I'm a vet!)

And I can't see any relevance to the question being posed in bringing tour player stats into it as 'proof'..completely irrelevant.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
If im holing out 100% from 10ft and in, with my current ability's within my game. I’d be scratch or plus figures.
If I’m maxing out drives on holes where driving is required but still playing the rest of the game to my current ability I honestly don’t think I’d get as low.
I’d like to think I’m a good putter too, but 10ft( a shade over 3m) is a good putt to sink.
How many times has few good putts saved a round compared to beemed drives