Would you rather?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Without having recorded my stats I don't know but intuitively I would take the long straight drive. If it was my longest and straightest of the season, this would be better than what I am doing at the moment on every hole I play except for the par threes where it would be useless, so on my course better positioning on 14 holes. I would gain on no lost balls no Oob and generally straightforward approaches.
I don't know how many putts under 10 feet I miss per round but suspect it is fewer than I would think from scanning my memory of missed putts as it is on a per round basis. I will if playing half decently three putt on fewer than three occasions per round and most of my first putts are outside 10 feet I suspect

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
This is from the PGA website

Does not cut and paste well but is fairly obvious

Total 1 Putts - 5-10'

Y-T-D-statistics through: Through Week Ending: 09/09/2019, Sep 8, 2019
Print

RANK THIS WEEK RANK LAST WEEK PLAYER NAME ROUNDS TOTAL TOTAL (FOR ALL DISTANCES) PCT OF ALL 1-PUTTS 1 1 Sungjae Im 122 209 745 28.1

I don't know how else to tell you that you're looking at the wrong stat for what you're trying to say 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ll have a go

the stat being quoted is how many of a player’s one putts in the season came when they were between 5-10 feet from the hole; it is not showing what proportion of time they only take a single putt when in that range.

A player could hole EVERY 5-10 footer they had as their first putt (say 20 in a season), but still have a low percentage here because they also holed out 80 times when their approach ended up inside 5”

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the thread has lost its way a little. The op asked what we would prefer not what the stats for the pros are ,which honestly I could give a toss about as they don't effect my game .
In answer to the op I would take the putt every time as my driving doesn't let me down as much as my putting which borders on being absolutely rubbish to absolute crap.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I’ll have a go

the stat being quoted is how many of a player’s one putts in the season came when they were between 5-10 feet from the hole; it is not showing what proportion of time they only take a single putt when in that range.

A player could hole EVERY 5-10 footer they had as their first putt (say 20 in a season), but still have a low percentage here because they also holed out 80 times when their approach ended up inside 5”

Yep, see post #149

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiosity I've just thought through my round last weekend - in which I was shocking and shot about 12 shots over my handicap - and noted down how many shots I would have saved on each hole from a) getting gimmes inside 10 feet and b) if I'd have hit my perfect drive on the par 4s & 5.

Final totals:
Missed putts from inside 10 feet: 4
Shots lost from non-perfect drive: 9

The figures were a lot closer until the 16th where I had to put down 3 lost shots as I managed to top my drive into heavy rough, then hacked from there into a ditch and had to drop out - my perfect drive would have had me well over the ditch in the first place for 1 as opposed to over it for 4. This sort of thing is exactly why I think the driving option will save most people more shots, because you can lose 2 or 3 shots at a time as opposed to just one shot lost with a putt.

Edit: Just as a caveat I will say that my driving was particularly awful on that round, and worse than normal.
Ok, I've just done this exercise again for my Saturday round at Stockley Park. For context I played a little better than the round above but was still 5 over handicap. Also, there were two putts missed which I can't recall if they were a shade under or over 10 feet so I've counted them as 0.5 each. There was one drive on the 18th which went into the right hand rough, but as it was a par 5, the conditions were appalling by this point, and I actually hit a decent hybrid out of there - I can't precisely say that it cost me a shot or not. So I've counted that as 0.5 as well.

With those points in mind the totals are:
Missed putts from inside 10 feet: 5
Shots lost from non-perfect drive: 5.5

Pretty even this time.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Ok, I've just done this exercise again for my Saturday round at Stockley Park. For context I played a little better than the round above but was still 5 over handicap. Also, there were two putts missed which I can't recall if they were a shade under or over 10 feet so I've counted them as 0.5 each. There was one drive on the 18th which went into the right hand rough, but as it was a par 5, the conditions were appalling by this point, and I actually hit a decent hybrid out of there - I can't precisely say that it cost me a shot or not. So I've counted that as 0.5 as well.

With those points in mind the totals are:
Missed putts from inside 10 feet: 5
Shots lost from non-perfect drive: 5.5

Pretty even this time.

I was doing this but I then though it's not a good test. Because you can easily look at a putt and decide if it's 10 foot or less.
But I can't quantify the result of all perfect drives and the opportunities They would give.
16th hole, I hit a lovely drive but kept it up the left because of a dog leg and not wanting to block myself out.
This leaves a much longer 2nd , my best drive would mean coming in with as much as 3 clubs less.
Not only will you be saving yourself from those extras shots from oob and hacks out, you will also have a perfect approach on all par 4s

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was doing this but I then though it's not a good test. Because you can easily look at a putt and decide if it's 10 foot or less.
But I can't quantify the result of all perfect drives and the opportunities They would give.
16th hole, I hit a lovely drive but kept it up the left because of a dog leg and not wanting to block myself out.
This leaves a much longer 2nd , my best drive would mean coming in with as much as 3 clubs less.
Not only will you be saving yourself from those extras shots from oob and hacks out, you will also have a perfect approach on all par 4s
It is difficult to quantify things exactly, that's why I decided to count a couple of halves. But I just counted any tee shot that was in the rough in a position that prevented me from going for the green, as a shot lost. I know it's not perfect because you can still lose a shot after hitting the fairway and it's not exact like the counting of a missed putt. I didn't count any drives that were in the fairway but perhaps not the ideal position, because as you say, you couldn't say for certain a shot was lost there just from it not being the perfect drive.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It is difficult to quantify things exactly, that's why I decided to count a couple of halves. But I just counted any tee shot that was in the rough in a position that prevented me from going for the green, as a shot lost. I know it's not perfect because you can still lose a shot after hitting the fairway and it's not exact like the counting of a missed putt. I didn't count any drives that were in the fairway but perhaps not the ideal position, because as you say, you couldn't say for certain a shot was lost there just from it not being the perfect drive.

I might do an experiment one day.

Play 2 balls and give ball A putts from 10 feet.

And ball B will be played from the perfect position in the fairway on every hole.

User20204

Visit site

And ball B will be played from the perfect position in the fairway on every hole.

That's a good thing to try but not at this time of year is say, mid season would give a better reflection.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If anyone was behind you it would look like you were playing like a pro.
Every drive right down the middle and knocking all them puts in.
That would be nice.!