Would you rather?

D

Deleted member 21258

I may be tempted to try this out, one weekend when I play 36 holes.

I have no idea where you got that stat from but it's wrong!!

Not much of a sample size yet this season, but last year the leader in this category was 67% and the guy in 100th was at 56%

Reading your post another way, maybe you looked at Lanto Griffin, top of the FedEx so far? Nope, he's at 68% in this stat

He quoted the 5-10 ft range and it is very low.:)

Looking at for 2019 it is lower at 28% :eek: :-

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.421.2019.html

Looking at all putts made inside 10 ft, it is much higher at 91% (that said, not surprising, given how few putts they sink outside the 5 ft rang and their lagging/inside 5 ft is so good, so for a pro, he would take the driving I would imagine rather than putting maybe?) :-

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.484.2019.html

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiosity I've just thought through my round last weekend - in which I was shocking and shot about 12 shots over my handicap - and noted down how many shots I would have saved on each hole from a) getting gimmes inside 10 feet and b) if I'd have hit my perfect drive on the par 4s & 5.

Final totals:
Missed putts from inside 10 feet: 4
Shots lost from non-perfect drive: 9

The figures were a lot closer until the 16th where I had to put down 3 lost shots as I managed to top my drive into heavy rough, then hacked from there into a ditch and had to drop out - my perfect drive would have had me well over the ditch in the first place for 1 as opposed to over it for 4. This sort of thing is exactly why I think the driving option will save most people more shots, because you can lose 2 or 3 shots at a time as opposed to just one shot lost with a putt.

Edit: Just as a caveat I will say that my driving was particularly awful on that round, and worse than normal.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Looking at all putts made inside 10 ft, it is much higher at 91% (that said, not surprising, given how few putts they sink outside the 5 ft rang and their lagging/inside 5 ft is so good, so for a pro, he would take the driving I would imagine rather than putting maybe?) :-

Again, wrong stat. That is 'how many of player x 1 putts are within the 5-10ft range.

Average tour Pro is 50/50 from 9ft was the stat I always remember

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

This is the one you want

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.404.html

User20204

Visit site
I h

ave played the Lancashire seniors the last couple of years and can back up what Upsidedown is saying.
Some of these seniors are seriously good .
Played at my home course three years ago and one guy had 56yds into a 357yd par four.
One thing I noticed with these lads is how well they had looked after themselves they looked very fit.
And after a few handshakes how strong they obviously were.
Several shot in the sixties that day ,that’s very good at Grange Park.

I'm certainly not disputing how could some seniors are, we have 2 plus players at our club but his original statement about their distance off the tee has been subsequently changed to add more info than was first given.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
All play at 6400+ and our Sunday best drives would be between 260 and 300 depending on conditions. Today we all drove the ball well but could have putted better ,none of my drives today put me in any bother but I missed 2 putts from inside 10 foot so my 2 under would have been 4 under .
We have skill levels that mean if we miss the fairway we can recover and make par, not all the time but most times :sneaky:
I'm certainly not disputing how could some seniors are, we have 2 plus players at our club but his original statement about their distance off the tee has been subsequently changed to add more info than was first given.
No I haven't the statement stays the same, I merely quantified it because I naturally assumed that folks interpretation of depending on conditions would encompass firm fairways for the higher end distances.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Cheers, your right and makes more sense for their level.

Still not sure what the total 1 putts 5-10 feet actually are, got an example to explain it?

Its a confusing one. I think it is this...

Player x has 100 'one-putts' in a season. 70 are inside 5ft, 20 between 5ft and 10ft, 12 from 10 to 20ft and 8 over 20ft. That would then be broken down into percentages.

From a players perspective, its helping to break down scrambling stats one level deeper, ie. I am scrambling well because I am chipping dead or because I am holing out well. They can then work on the opposite.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, wrong stat. That is 'how many of player x 1 putts are within the 5-10ft range.

Average tour Pro is 50/50 from 9ft was the stat I always remember

think it is less than that. I believe tour average from 6ft was 50%...which when you are talking about the best players in the world, makes the 6ft putts we miss fairly obvious....and yet we all think we should be making them.

I'm still taking hitting driver perfectly down the center cut please Bob!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no idea where you got that stat from but it's wrong!!

Not much of a sample size yet this season, but last year the leader in this category was 67% and the guy in 100th was at 56%

Reading your post another way, maybe you looked at Lanto Griffin, top of the FedEx so far? Nope, he's at 68% in this stat

I got that stat from the PGATour website putting stats but have realised that what they I am saying has been incorrectly interpreted (I used the last column)

The point I am making, which you clearly show, is the even the best pro made only two thirds of the putts from that distance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is from the PGA website

Does not cut and paste well but is fairly obvious

Total 1 Putts - 5-10'

Y-T-D-statistics through: Through Week Ending: 09/09/2019, Sep 8, 2019
Print

RANK THIS WEEK RANK LAST WEEK PLAYER NAME ROUNDS TOTAL TOTAL (FOR ALL DISTANCES) PCT OF ALL 1-PUTTS 1 1 Sungjae Im 122 209 745 28.1

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
This is from the PGA website

Does not cut and paste well but is fairly obvious

Total 1 Putts - 5-10'

Y-T-D-statistics through: Through Week Ending: 09/09/2019, Sep 8, 2019
Print

RANK THIS WEEK RANK LAST WEEK PLAYER NAME ROUNDS TOTAL TOTAL (FOR ALL DISTANCES) PCT OF ALL 1-PUTTS 1 1 Sungjae Im 122 209 745 28.1

I don't know how else to tell you that you're looking at the wrong stat for what you're trying to say 🤦🏻‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1147

Would YOU rather......
Nothing to do with tour players.

If your putting is rubbish, take the putting
If your driving is rubbish take the driving
If they are both rubbish go fishing with Smiffy.
I’m ok at both, but believe my scoring is best when I hit fairways more often.
I currently save a lot of pars, but could do with more birdie opportunities.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know how else to tell you that you're looking at the wrong stat for what you're trying to say 🤦🏻‍♂️

What I am trying to say is simple really - some players seem to think that they are better putters from 10ft than they probably are.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
think it is less than that. I believe tour average from 6ft was 50%...which when you are talking about the best players in the world, makes the 6ft putts we miss fairly obvious....and yet we all think we should be making them.

I'm still taking hitting driver perfectly down the center cut please Bob!

No it is 9ft. From 6ft you're looking at 70% average

But yes, driver every time!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
What I am trying to say is simple really - some players seem to think that they are better putters from 10ft than they probably are.

But the stat you are using isn't measuring putts made from 10foot. Not even close. I've explained above what '1 putt from 5-10ft' is on #149

Some people are dangerous with stats!