Would you like to see Reed top the money list?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
We could have our first American to win the Race to Dubai and Morikawa could pull it off without stepping foot in Europe..

Think it would be great if Westwood could do it 20 years after his first money list title

This is the scenario this week which seems fairly mind boggling

Mathematically any of the leading 60 available players on the Race to Dubai rankings, plus Joost Luiten in 72nd position, could become Race to Dubai Champion with victory.

Reed heads in to the final event at the top of the rankings as he bids to become the first American winner of the Race to Dubai, and is one of four players who could guarantee they become champion with a victory at the DP World Championship. Collin Morikawa, who sits in third, could also achieve the feat on his tournament debut. Tommy Fleetwood and Lee Westwood, who are in second and fourth place respectively, could also win the title. Christiaan Bezuidenhout, Victor Perez, Aaron Rai and Tyrrell Hatton could be crowned Race to Dubai Champion with victory, provided Reed doesn’t finish second alone.

D

Deleted member 3432

Didn't even know that Morikawa was a member of the European Tour.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I certainly don't want to see Reed win - simply not a fan.

Would love Westy to win and he has certainly been most committed to the European Tour this year.

I also don't subscribe to the analysis that any of the top 60 can win. There would surely need to be a ridiculous chain of events for someone outside the top 10 to not finish high enough to hold off a tournament winner from the lower rankings.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s not a personality contest, it’s about the best golfer over the season and that’s all thst matters.

Very sad people have to bring his personality in to it and not discuss his talent.

Another example of how negative we are as people.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not a personality contest, it’s about the best golfer over the season and that’s all thst matters.

Very sad people have to bring his personality in to it and not discuss his talent.

Another example of how negative we are as people.
I agree here.
He has had his problems who hasn’t.
But he’s made the effort to play here.

It’s a farce someone can win without putting foot in Europe.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would I like Reed to top the money list? No. Do I give a toss if he does or not? Also no.

I don't even know what Race to Dubai is, if it's just about how much money they've all made then I really couldn't care less. I like watching them play occasionally, I don't need to know who's made the most money. Curious concept.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have to admit I like Patrick Reed, he does his own thing, isn't under contract to a club manufacturer and plays what he likes, really takes the time to play in Europe (which Koepka also did) and has a swing to die for. I think he gets kicked a lot because people don't like him as he comes across very arrogant and he doesn't have a Guy Smilie personality, but everyone is different and he just gets his head down and plays. How much did the Americans love him when he beat McIlroy in the Ryder Cup but were almost booing him when he won The Masters? I hope he does win The Race to Dubai as he deserves to be where he is by his talent and willingness to play on The European Tour.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Morikawa can genuinely win then the whole concept is wrong.

Reed has come over and played a number of tournaments, has done for a few years, so no problem with that. I'm another who likes Reed so I am fine if he wins. I'd prefer a regular Tour player but that is a general point, not anything against Reed.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve no issue with Reed winning. It does show the format up as a bit flawed (exceptional year) but he’s only been over once… but then so has Hatton in 9th, Casey not at all in 12th so it shows it’s not just Morikawa
Westwood is by no means the ET biggest supporter this season with two others in top 10 ahead of him but no issue with him winning either

Its amazing how many of the top 10 achieved that status back in Jan/Feb and basically stayed there with so little progression from behind after the sports’ lockdown but that’s what order of merit tables will do when the points are stacked unequally and awarded to tournament wins a chunk of the ET members don't even play in

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Didn't Tiger earn enough to win it many times through the money he won at Majors and WGCs, but didn't have enough qualifying events to claim the title. I think a couple of seasons he may have only been one event short.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am just happy that the three Scots boys sitting in the 60's on the list have got in to the final.
I thought they had missed their chance at the weekend but forgot there will be drop outs.
5 Scots in the top 70, finally things looking up a bit.

Re winning......obviously the best man.
Good to see the Americans interested in playing on a World stage.
Some using it as a stepping stone, but having competed lets hope they show some loyalty and return for the big events.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd prefer Westwood, but have no issue with Reed winning it. I like him (y)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
We could have our first American to win the Race to Dubai and Morikawa could pull it off without stepping foot in Europe..

I'd be happy to see Reed win it.

Less happy to Morikawa win; not because I dislike him, but because it highlights the utter farcical nature of not having to play the ET at all, but you could just pitch up and win the big prize at the season closer. Doesn't seem right.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Without the fantasy league I've lost a lot of interest in it.
As it is, whoever wins wins but would prefer someone who has actually played in Europe..

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn't realise Morikawa was a member of the European Tour.

I agree with the minimum qualifying tournaments idea. It wouldn't sit right with me if someone won it without actually playing an ET event (excluding WGC & Majors, none of which this year were played in Europe anyway). Don't mind Reed so much, as at least he makes the effort.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do feel it needs a minimum number of competitions played on continental Europe, maybe 2 would seem about right?

From memory a player has to play in at least 12 European Tour or ET tour co-sanctioned events to be in the Race Dubai money list.

There are only 7 co sanctioned events of the type you are probably thinking off this season so the winner would have had to play in 5 ET only events or co sanctioned events in out of the way places such as Africa and Australia.

For the list of qualifying events see

https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/schedule/