Would You Have Pulled Your Opponent

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It does seem there's more concern over his putt than your own 5 shots from 50 yards on the last
Maybe that's the better thread topic 😀

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have let him know what he should have done as soon as he had holed it and accepted that he had done it out of ignorance of matchplay rules. That would also save any further potential breaches during the round. If I was that player and you told me as soon as I had holed out, I would apologise and offer to replace the ball as close to the spot I played it from.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I agree with what has been said above. Don't recall the shot but tell him so that he avoids any future embarrassment.

When I was around 16 years old & playing off 17, I played a Daily Mirror tie against a 1 handicap County player, who I went on to beat. On the 6th green I, quite innocently, pulled out a piece of coarse grass which was still attached by the roots. After we'd holed out my opponent pointed out that this was a rule breach but that he didn't intend to apply it. He said that he was sure that, now that I knew the rule, I wouldn't do it again but that I should be careful in case I came up against someone who applied the rules strictly. My regard for that player went up considerably. He was a real gentleman & took his defeat in good spirit, something a lot of players in his position would not have done.

Strictly, we should have both been disqualified for agreeing to waive the rules, but this didn't happen. Since then, I have always tried to be considerate to new golfers who are not fully conversant with the complications of the game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In a K/O match on Saturday playing a fairly new member, new to being a member of a club, and new to matchplay comps ....

Thoughts on any of the above...:)

Up to you, but I wouldn't!

I MIGHT mention that he shouldn't assume acceptance of HIS decision, but that would likely depend on other possible incidents! He may, in fact, be a bit of a hustler!!

I have not mentioned the 9th green matchplay rule breach as that might sound like sour grapes.

Oh Yes you have! :rolleyes:

Overall....There are probably several things that you should point out that others might not be so generous - over a Beer/Cup of Tea - having congratulated him on his win!

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have let him know what he should have done as soon as he had holed it and accepted that he had done it out of ignorance of matchplay rules. That would also save any further potential breaches during the round. If I was that player and you told me as soon as I had holed out, I would apologise and offer to replace the ball as close to the spot I played it from.

This.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in the "tell him on the way to the next hole" camp.

A simple "Just to let you know that in match play, you don't finish off holes by playing out of turn - I could have asked you to replay that last putt" would have done the trick

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lots of advice on what you should or shouldn't have done. No need to add my weight. I want to congratulate you on not calling it at the time, particularly given the status of the match at that point. Well done sir

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As per the consensus he needs to be told for future reference and the bar after wouldn't have been the place. Hard to know when would have been the ideal moment as telling him with the game still live it could have had an impact on his game. Maybe after shaking hands on the last and walking off. Hard to say but fair play to the OP for the way he handled it at the time

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have told him of his rules infringement and asked him to re putt.......just as he was about to strike the ball I would have said 'OK conceded'.

With a big smile on my face. Everyone is then a winner.
Agree you learn the rules by breaking them when your learning the game.
this is the right way to deal with this.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Match was Saturday and by Monday afternoon you’d not told him so it’s tough to tell him now without it looking like sour grapes (I'll wager many players lack the communication skills to even deal with it in the bar afterwards without it looking like sour grapes)

On the green at the time and before you lift your ball might've been best, just when you had to decide between pulling him up on it or letting it go

Once you decide to let it go then you need to let it go

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Strictly, we should have both been disqualified for agreeing to waive the rules,.

As for as I understand, this is not the case. He was entitled to ignore your breach of the rules, you did not agree beforehand to ignore any rule, so neither did anything wrong. He was, afaik, within his rights to tell you after the hole was finished of your rule break and you both acted perfectly correctly

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As for as I understand, this is not the case. He was entitled to ignore your breach of the rules, you did not agree beforehand to ignore any rule, so neither did anything wrong. He was, afaik, within his rights to tell you after the hole was finished of your rule break and you both acted perfectly correctly
Rule 1-3

"Players must not agree to exclude the operation of any rule or to waive any penalty incurred."

Seems quite clear but also a bit daft in matchplay.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rule 1-3

"Players must not agree to exclude the operation of any rule or to waive any penalty incurred."

Seems quite clear but also a bit daft in matchplay.

I can't find anything definitive on the R&A website, but this is from Barry Rhodes site which is pretty reliable.

You may ask why a player might want to ignore a breach of a Rule that they witness during their match. Well, there are occasions when a breach may not benefit an opponent in any way and you may consider that to raise it may cause unnecessary friction in an otherwise friendly contest. I had an example of this myself two weeks ago, when I noticed that a foursomes opponent did not mark his ball before lifting and cleaning it on the fairway, as was required by a Local Rule for Preferred Lies that was in operation. I did not want to call the one stroke penalty on the player, a fellow Club member, but I knew that it might upset my own game if I said nothing, as I could have been concentrating on observing whether he continued to breach the Rule, rather than on my own play. This is where you have to be careful. Whilst there is no compunction on you to call the penalty, you still must not say anything to your opponent(s) during play of the hole, as under Rule 1-3 players must not agree to exclude the operation of any Rule, or to waive any penalty incurred by either side. A simple remark to an opponent that you noticed him breach a Rule opens both sides to disqualification from the match, unless they insist on the penalty applying before they finish the hole. However, the breach may be openly discussed by both sides as soon as any player has made a stroke from the next teeing ground. The reason for this can be found in Rule 2-5, which outlines the procedure to follow if a doubt or dispute arises between players in match play. Part of that Rule states;
A claim is considered to have been made in a timely manner if, upon discovery of circumstances giving rise to a claim, the player makes his claim (i) before any player in the match plays from the next teeing ground, or (ii) in the case of the last hole of the match, before all players in the match leave the putting green, or (iii) when the circumstances giving rise to the claim are discovered after all the players in the match have left the putting green of the final hole, before the result of the match has been officially announced.
So, once the result of the hole has been decided and the players have commenced play of the next hole, any discussion on a penalty that may have previously been incurred does not affect that result, as there was no agreement between the sides to waive the Rule.

Returning to the personal situation that I described earlier, I waited until all players had teed off from the next hole and then advised the offending opponent’s partner that he should have a word with his playing partner, to explain that he must mark his ball on the fairway before lifting it. The breach was not repeated during the rest of the match, but had it been I would have felt fully justified in imposing the penalty.

So on the way to the next hole (which was my opinion earlier) is also no good, but walking up the next fairway is fine.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The time to say something was actually when the incident happened NOT after the game. What if he did again later in the round but on a much more missable putt? I would have mentioned it straight away but I wouldn't have asked him to replay the shot. He needs to be aware of the rules, especially if playing in competitions.

As we walked to the next tee I was thinking of mentioning it, but I couldn't think of words or a way to put it that wouldn't have made him feel bad about winning the hole in the way he had. And if he had then completely 'blown-up' and I had won I would have struggled with the thought that I had caused him to do that and that he was pissed off with me for deliberately 'putting him off'. Yes I know...very mixed up thinking.

Of course the other reason I didn't mention it before we tee'd off on the 10th was that I was 4 down and - well - that's a toughie to win from - though as in my OP I should actually have done so.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it's one for the bar afterwards.

Often had the conversation that starts "look it doesn't matter to me but ........."

Unfortunately our round had taken near 4 and half hours (we were stuck behind a juniors match - a rant for another time) and it was 6:30pm and so we both had to head straight off home - so no opportunity to discuss over a beer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It does seem there's more concern over his putt than your own 5 shots from 50 yards on the last
Maybe that's the better thread topic 😀

I am actually much more cheesed off with myself than I am in any way upset with my opponent over what he did. In fact I am not really upset at all.

All I needed to do was a low straight bump and run into the middle of the green and two putt. Job done, match won. Instead lob into LH greenside bunker; too heavy out of the bunker and over the green; rubbish chip and two putts. He holes 15footer - match lost.

Grrrr. Never been quite so annoyed with myself walking off an 18th green. Lesson learnt.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am actually much more cheesed off with myself than I am in any way upset with my opponent over what he did. In fact I am not really upset at all.

All I needed to do was a low straight bump and run into the middle of the green and two putt. Job done, match won. Instead lob into LH greenside bunker; too heavy out of the bunker and over the green; rubbish chip and two putts. He holes 15footer - match lost.

Grrrr. Never been quite so annoyed with myself walking off an 18th green. Lesson learnt.

I know my first reply last night was a tad flippant :smirk:(I did come back with another that gives my thoughts on your predicament earlier today) but it did interest me what went wrong on 18 so thanks for filling in the detail

I'm just not good enough to wield a LW so never faced with the choice but do sometime have to choose between PW and bump and run shot and 9/10 I'm gonna keep it low and run it on