Would You Have Pulled Your Opponent

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know my first reply last night was a tad flippant :smirk:(I did come back with another that gives my thoughts on your predicament earlier today) but it did interest me what went wrong on 18 so thanks for filling in the detail

I'm just not good enough to wield a LW so never faced with the choice but do sometime have to choose between PW and bump and run shot and 9/10 I'm gonna keep it low and run it on

Yup 9/10 times me also. This time I just thought it was dead straightforward - the bump and run might just might have kicked very unluckily out to the right into the RH greenside bunker, but I just kept the clubface closed going back so pulled it straight left into the bunker. Otherwise it was a great shot...:)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I would speak up before he putted, and I'd explain why on the way to the next tee. The why from the perspective of the match I was playing and the why from what others might do in the future.

If, for some reason I didn't speak up, I'd just forget it. There's no mileage in kicking yourself other than "don't do it again."

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The time to say something was actually when the incident happened NOT after the game. What if he did again later in the round but on a much more missable putt? I would have mentioned it straight away but I wouldn't have asked him to replay the shot. He needs to be aware of the rules, especially if playing in competitions.
Agree with this. Speaking as someone who's only joined a club this year - if I wasn't aware of a rule, I'd rather be told after the event so I don't potentially make the same mistake in front of someone who will penalise it next time. Recently my friend and I were matched up with the club captain and former club captain in a fourball on a competition, and as they knew we were new members, they helped us a lot with the rulings at various times, and we really appreciated it. (And they also didn't punish us for any minor transgressions.)

So yeah, I would have said, you were right not to make him retake it and to let it slide, but then I think you should have let him know that he'd broken a rule and other members might not be as kind as yourself.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would have just given him the putt in the first place.
Not really worth squabbling or worrying about.
Seems like you pulled the game round after that incident though

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
if he was new to golf, i would have told him, it was loss of match;)
Not the right answer but defo the best & funniest

But it would be a good way to break the ice ,Imagine it

guy 1 sorry mate loss of match for playing outa turn ...
guy 2 (new guy) Seriously ?
guy 1 Nah just kidding , good putt but ya cant just putt out of turn in match play or u can be asked to retake it .. but as ya made it anyhow il give to ya this time well done

bet ye would walk off discussing other rules with a good impression of each other

Last edited:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
The time to say something was actually when the incident happened NOT after the game. What if he did again later in the round but on a much more missable putt? I would have mentioned it straight away but I wouldn't have asked him to replay the shot. He needs to be aware of the rules, especially if playing in competitions.

Is the correct answer...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is the correct answer...

I felt awkward - and I don't normally shirk from pulling folks up on the rules or pointing things out. I think I kept quiet because I was then four down at the turn and the only way back would be for the wheels to fall off his trolley - and my saying something at that point might well have been interpreted by him as me giving his wheels a sharp kick.

Anyway - thanks to the feedback here I'm not now going to say anything.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I felt awkward - and I don't normally shirk from pulling folks up on the rules or pointing things out. I think I kept quiet because I was then four down at the turn and the only way back would be for the wheels to fall off his trolley - and my saying something at that point might well have been interpreted by him as me giving his wheels a sharp kick.

Well, would be a bit weird to call him up 3 days later or whatever it is now! Haha.

D

Deleted Member 1156

He is probably going to do the same thing again in the next round as he is still unaware of the rule. I think what you are saying about not upsetting him is a cover up, if he can't handle the situation then he doesn't deserve to win the match. It's all part of the matchplay learning curve.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He is probably going to do the same thing again in the next round as he is still unaware of the rule. I think what you are saying about not upsetting him is a cover up, if he can't handle the situation then he doesn't deserve to win the match. It's all part of the matchplay learning curve.

So would you advise me to say something to him next time I see him? He would know that he didn't win because of the incident - but becuase of my stupid play on the last.

Back to thinking I might tell him :confused:

D

Deleted Member 1156

So would you advise me to say something to him next time I see him? He would know that he didn't win because of the incident - but becuase of my stupid play on the last.

Back to thinking I might tell him :confused:

Yes I think you should.......in a nice way :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Next time you see him.

"listen good luck in the next round, that was a great match. I was going to say to you about blah bla blah as you never know when it could come back to bite you. "

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

This. How is he going to learn the rights and wrongs otherwise.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The point that has been lost on everybody was whether Article 50 was mentioned and whether he voted to leave.

That would have been a 'hole' new ball game!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, I know I posted earlier but in light of the way the thread's gone, just to play devil's advocate...

What's wrong with leaving it to the next player? After all, he hasn't actually done anything "wrong" and hasn't broken a rule. Ok, he didn't have the honour but that doesn't mean he can't play first - it only means his opponent can, if they so choose, exercise an entitlement to play first & can call the shot back to be replayed in turn. The only person to whom it may matter is the person he's playing at the time. If he keeps doing it, and no-one mentions anything, then it means no-one is actually bothered at the time or in the circumstances. The only time it will be mentioned is when someone is actually bothered - which is the time to say something?

Stands back and ...

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, I know I posted earlier but in light of the way the thread's gone, just to play devil's advocate...

What's wrong with leaving it to the next player? After all, he hasn't actually done anything "wrong" and hasn't broken a rule. Ok, he didn't have the honour but that doesn't mean he can't play first - it only means his opponent can, if they so choose, exercise an entitlement to play first & can call the shot back to be replayed in turn. The only person to whom it may matter is the person he's playing at the time. If he keeps doing it, and no-one mentions anything, then it means no-one is actually bothered at the time or in the circumstances. The only time it will be mentioned is when someone is actually bothered - which is the time to say something?

Stands back and ...

Common sense has no place on this forum

go and stand in the corner and think about what you have done :D