The all things EV chat thread

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evs remind me a bit of smart phones (just without the must switch bit)

We got to a stage with the brilliant Nokia 3310 that latest like a week..

Then the smart phones came. The batteries were rubbish

Tech has moved on now less people use the older phones ..batteries are better but still don't last forever but the charge times are now amazing on some. 30 mins up to 80% etc

We have adapted a lot, charge at other places .. like pc at work might plug in.. top up often as possible if we can

Charge at home more often than before but we happier with what they provide now

At first we didn't like it tho
EV's need infrastructure, and we all know how slow we are with that sort of thing in this country. You cant persuade a population to change to a new drive unit in their car when they don't see the infrastructure already in place to support it.
Video 2000 and Betamax are still in the memory of many, but who wants to throw £10's of k down the pan on the wrong option.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I still reckon Hydrogen isn’t dead yet
Considering the ethical issues with mining lithium,
They just need to get away from the Hindenburg image
I commented on this earlier in the thread.
Hydrogen is not dead for commercial vehicles, but for standard cars, even our company is saying they believe electric is the way forward for conventional cars.
It will take more than one fuel type to replace fossil fuels, dependant upon the mode of transport. For example, there's is talk of ammonia being used for shipping.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd prefer not to buy from China period but it's pretty hard not to these days.
Absolutely agree. As someone who has a decent sized toe in the electronics industry I am very aware of their dominance. I'm also very aware of their build quality, quality standards full stop, their reaction to problems etc and that is why I won't be in one. A car is too big an investment, is too important to need to be safe for that to happen.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I ordered the Ioniq 5 at the beginning of November with a delivery date around the end of January. Just before Christmas this was pushed back to the 3rd March and I've just been updated that there is now not a delivery date however it's likely to be June at the earliest. At this rate I'll get it just before the Ioniq 6 is released!!

Planning on having a chat with my lease guy to see if there are any cancelled orders about that I can look at.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ordered the Ioniq 5 at the beginning of November with a delivery date around the end of January. Just before Christmas this was pushed back to the 3rd March and I've just been updated that there is now not a delivery date however it's likely to be June at the earliest. At this rate I'll get it just before the Ioniq 6 is released!!

Planning on having a chat with my lease guy to see if there are any cancelled orders about that I can look at.

That's a long old wait

Wonder how long before they catch up on orders and they become weeks not months again

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's a long old wait

It is and, unfortunately, it doesn't appear that it's much better with any of the other makes/models that I was looking for, in fact placing a new order today would probably push be back towards the end of summer unless there is a sudden improvement in the availability of the chips. Hyundai have tried to keep there production going by lowing the specs/reducing some of the features in their Ioniq 5 to ensure that some cars are still going out. I think my best bet might be to jump on a cancellation however that will depend on what is available in the spec/colours that I was originally looking for.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I commented on this earlier in the thread.
Hydrogen is not dead for commercial vehicles, but for standard cars, even our company is saying they believe electric is the way forward for conventional cars.
It will take more than one fuel type to replace fossil fuels, dependant upon the mode of transport. For example, there's is talk of ammonia being used for shipping.

They already have hydrogen powered buses running in Aberdeen. The current project I'm involved with is looking at generating hydrogen from offshore wind turbines.

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2022/0...-demo-project-at-aberdeen-offshore-wind-farm/

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't get passed the cost.
You use electricity to separate the hydrogen, then you need
pressurised storage
pressurised tankers/lorries
pressurised storage tanks at garages
new pressurised pumps
cars with pressurised ''fuel tanks''
Then the hydrogen in the car is used to create electricity to power the motor.
So basically you're using electricity to make hydrogen that makes electricity
Why the massive expensive middle man?

And who is going to pay for it if all the countries are spending their millions on electric cars/charging/battery technology?

If people don't want to change from ICE cars to EVs (and there are a few) which are far cheaper to run, they are not likely to want to change to hydrogen cars which are more expensive to buy and run.

The costs of driving 100km is approximately
Hydrogen....£11.40
Petrol..........£7.48
Diesel ........£6.76
EV..............£2.79

Robster59

Tour Rookie
They already have hydrogen powered buses running in Aberdeen. The current project I'm involved with is looking at generating hydrogen from offshore wind turbines.

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2022/0...-demo-project-at-aberdeen-offshore-wind-farm/
It's something our company are very much into and have been promoting it for years. I remember seeing a demo Kia at one of our Sales Conferences. It would seem from the last few announcements however that we will be concentrating on commercial vehicles rather than private cars.
Go-Ahead inks major green hydrogen supply deal with Air Products
https://www.airproducts.com/campaigns/energy-transition#/

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
pressurised storage
new pressurised pumps

And who is going to pay for it if all the countries are spending their millions on electric cars/charging/battery technology?

If people don't want to change from ICE cars to EVs (and there are a few) which are far cheaper to run, they are not likely to want to change to hydrogen cars which are more expensive to buy and run.

Hydrogen....£11.40
Petrol..........£7.48
Diesel ........£6.76
EV..............£2.79
As I say, I don't think Hydrogen is necessarily the way for private cars. The points you make above on infrastructure and transport are all valid.
However, for larger commercial vehicles it is an option. Our company is converting its global fleet to hydrogen (see my post #1,342).
And for the cost of generation, our company is working hard on its sustainability and sourcing energy from renewables.
To be fair, production of any kind of energy source is going to require energy to do it.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
pressurised storage
new pressurised pumps

Hydrogen....£11.40
Petrol..........£7.48
Diesel ........£6.76
EV..............£2.79
I think it'd because there is so much of it and it's really easy to get, at least in small scale, makes it so tempting . You can do it at home with a battery and a few other bits and bobs. Like you say though it uses a lot of power to get and that currently makes it fairly unviable on a massive scale. It will be interesting to see how the renewable powered plants do. There could well be a place for it in some areas, aero and long haul trucking maybe.