clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Annoys me they even make them tbh

Same with the old golf e

It's before they take ev serious

Now look at I'd 3 etc with 200 miles

Now your talking
Had a go of my mates ID3 it was fantastic.
If it was the same price as a golf I wouldn’t hesitate.
But the prices need to drop a bit and you can’t get one for 18 months apparently.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Annoys me they even make them tbh

Same with the old golf e

It's before they take ev serious

Now look at I'd 3 etc with 200 miles

Now your talking
Agreed, it is pointless. 200 miles should be the minimum. Take off 25% for real world and you are left with 150 range. That is fine for a city car and the commute for many.

Good to see car companies are as honest about electric range as they are about mpg :rolleyes:. It amazes me that they are still allowed to keep peddling such nonsense, yes I know it is there in the teeny tiny small print but come on.......

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed, it is pointless. 200 miles should be the minimum. Take off 25% for real world and you are left with 150 range. That is fine for a city car and the commute for many.

Good to see car companies are as honest about electric range as they are about mpg :rolleyes:. It amazes me that they are still allowed to keep peddling such nonsense, yes I know it is there in the teeny tiny small print but come on.......

I wouldn't consider less than 200 which is why I wouldn't get the leaf

Even tho don't need it .. it's nice to have a bit of buffer and winter as u say

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I went to the local VW dealership on Saturday to have a look at the id3 and id4. Had a look around the showroom and couldn’t see any. Asked the salesman where they were, he said they had one of each car and the two salesman who were not working this weekend has taken them home! Bloody stupid or what?

Got to say, looking around the cars in the showroom, VW interiors sure are cheap and bland now!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doing an experiment tomorrow now the solar is in

I've got the variable 3pin plug out the boot and set it to 6amp limit (about 1.4kwh) then plugged into car and set to pull from 10am

Got 88% battery ATM

So in theory I should be able to top up 12% using my solar free of charge tomorrow

So saves a bit of waste energy production as I don't have export set up yet , and ofc the age old where does your electric come from debate well it's from the sky this time

I'm sure the usual suspects will pipe up with the normal but oil made that car.. and those panels and blah blah .. but end of day it's as green as it can be using current tech that's available to me.

Happy days

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Re. the Mazda 30. It's my understanding that the low range was a very deliberate design choice. It allows the car to use a smaller battery pack, which in turn reduces the weight and cost. There's a valid niche for nice EVs with low range, and Mazda has chosen to address it.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bit of an eye opener this evening about charging. Walked past a local charging point half an hour ago, two 50KW chargers, one out of service (for quite some time apparently). Big black cab hooked up, another parked in front (in out of service bay) waiting, a Highways Maintenance van parked behind waiting and a Hyundi Ioniq waiting behind him. In for a long wait methinks!

Just an obversation :unsure:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re. the Mazda 30. It's my understanding that the low range was a very deliberate design choice. It allows the car to use a smaller battery pack, which in turn reduces the weight and cost. There's a valid niche for nice EVs with low range, and Mazda has chosen to address it.
Is the correct answer about it:)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The leaf 40kw had that, no need to go any smaller tbh , range is short in winter as it is

Plus any degrading over time is less noticeable

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The leaf 40kw had that, no need to go any smaller tbh , range is short in winter as it is
Not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Are you saying that because the Leaf exists there's no need for the Mazda? That would be a strange pov. Like saying there's no need for Vauxhall because Ford exists.

Or are you saying that 40kwh is the absolute minimum acceptable? (The MX30 is 35kwh).
Again, that's a strange pov. Who's to say how small a battery makes sense? If the MX30's range does the job for a particular user, the battery is the right size. The original Renault Zoe was only 22kwh, and it was the right car for plenty of people. (Nearly bought one myself about 4 years ago).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Are you saying that because the Leaf exists there's no need for the Mazda? That would be a strange pov. Like saying there's no need for Vauxhall because Ford exists.

Or are you saying that 40kwh is the absolute minimum acceptable? (The MX30 is 35kwh).
Again, that's a strange pov. Who's to say how small a battery makes sense? If the MX30's range does the job for a particular user, the battery is the right size. The original Renault Zoe was only 22kwh, and it was the right car for plenty of people. (Nearly bought one myself about 4 years ago).

I'm saying the later, 40kw usable should be minimum

The lower ones were old tech and whilst they still work now are getting say 50-70 miles due to degrading etc

Considering the cost of cars etc 40 would be minimum to see small users for life including degrading

The Mazda may be 35 but it's still starting 28k

The mg are starting 27k with 72 kw battery

That's a hell of a difference

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The Mazda may be 35 but it's still starting 28k

The mg are starting 27k with 72 kw battery

That's a hell of a difference
I thought you were serious about environmental impact.
A battery twice the size has a much greater impact from its manufacturing.
If you don't need a battery that big, then getting one is harming the environment for no good reason.
(And you'll get worse miles per kwh due to the weight, so that also harms the environment).

Let me say right now that if I were to be in the market for an EV today, the MG5 would probably be top of my shortlist.
I would probably never consider buying an MX30 for my own use.
But that doesn't mean they don't make sense for some people.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don't need a battery that big, then getting one is harming the environment for no good reason.
(And you'll get worse miles per kwh due to the weight, so that also harms the environment).

Let me say right now that if I were to be in the market for an EV today, the MG5 would probably be top of my shortlist.

Resale tho not many would favour the Mazda making it likely to be replaced battery sooner better to have bigger and not have to replace and lasts longer

Less footprint.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I've just had a look online at the MX30 and my issue isn't so much with the battery size but the car type. I have no issues with smaller batteries, my wife is keen on a new electric Mini to replace her ICE version and I know that has a range of 120 miles (at best!!) however the vast majority of her journey's are local and the longest that she'd do in her own car would be a trip to my folks on the coast which is 50 miles. The thing about the MX30 is that it's a larger car so the target market is going to be different, likely for those with families who might be using it for longer journey's I cannot see it appealing with that limited range.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just had a look online at the MX30 and my issue isn't so much with the battery size but the car type. I have no issues with smaller batteries, my wife is keen on a new electric Mini to replace her ICE version and I know that has a range of 120 miles (at best!!) however the vast majority of her journey's are local and the longest that she'd do in her own car would be a trip to my folks on the coast which is 50 miles. The thing about the MX30 is that it's a larger car so the target market is going to be different, likely for those with families who might be using it for longer journey's I cannot see it appealing with that limited range.

The fiat 500 with a small battery isn't a bad car but like you say this Mazda is pretty big and the battery plus weight of car make it pretty poor tbh.

124 miles

100 realistically

80 winter

I mean it's ok but loaded up with kids and their stuff? No great

It's like the vauxhall 7 seater with the 50 kw battery just underpowered

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 65kwh hyundai kona. It gives me 290 miles and is a rocket ship. Its not a big car either.
20,000 miles later and I have never been caught short with changing

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 65kwh hyundai kona. It gives me 290 miles and is a rocket ship. Its not a big car either.
20,000 miles later and I have never been caught short with changing

I'd love that car, it was the one I wanted but the stock went fast

I did a long trip today, 130 mile round trip, 70 mph most of way, air con on

Left home 100%

Got there 65%

Got home 25%

So in theory that's 170 miles range at motorway speeds

Did my research and had a couple chargers on route as back up

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see the point in comparing apples with oranges. The MX30 is a niche market car, aimed at those more enviromentally concerned. Read the specs on it's desgn, and you will see.
Why don't we start to compare a Rolls Royce with a Focus instead,