The all things EV chat thread

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The wife's Maxda Cx5 diesel got the Spanish archer last week. Dreadful timing and planning. 2015 model with 90k, we spent 3k on a new turbo last year, 550 for a new wing mirror a couple of months ago after a tree fell on it and then the rear windscreen spontaneously combusted last month. Then last week the air con seemed no puff - Halfords said the canister was full - and then another looked and said the motor/ pump had gone and would be a grand - she called someone and they picked it up and took away for 3.5k the day after! What a money pitt.

So today she ordered a new Peugot 3008 to lease for 3 years! Not cheap but she was in the mood for no hassle and i was not brave enough to object much! :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:. We have not even seen the car in the flesh as it it is not out yet! But first forray into slighly electric in that it is a self-cgarging hybrid

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The wife's Maxda Cx5 diesel got the Spanish archer last week. Dreadful timing and planning. 2015 model with 90k, we spent 3k on a new turbo last year, 550 for a new wing mirror a couple of months ago after a tree fell on it and then the rear windscreen spontaneously combusted last month. Then last week the air con seemed no puff - Halfords said the canister was full - and then another looked and said the motor/ pump had gone and would be a grand - she called someone and they picked it up and took away for 3.5k the day after! What a money pitt.

So today she ordered a new Peugot 3008 to lease for 3 years! Not cheap but she was in the mood for no hassle and i was not brave enough to object much! :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:. We have not even seen the car in the flesh as it it is not out yet! But first forray into slighly electric in that it is a self-cgarging hybrid

That looks really nice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Welcome to the dark side

This is how it begins

😁

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I worry that there seems to be a growing number of people who are happy to buy a car without a test drive. Cars are such personal things and all manner of little features can make or break your relationship with one. Buying a car on spec is fraught with danger.

I guess since it's a 3 year lease there's less at stake. But let's hope she likes the Peugeot.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I worry that there seems to be a growing number of people who are happy to buy a car without a test drive. Cars are such personal things and all manner of little features can make or break your relationship with one. Buying a car on spec is fraught with danger.

I guess since it's a 3 year lease there's less at stake. But let's hope she likes the Peugeot.

I bought an Audi A5 without so much as a sit in it. It lasted 3 months. The pedals were slightly offset from the driving seat. It felt like I had to sit at an angle - most uncomfortable.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

i know. Two days earlier she was happy with the Seat Ateca, being a better deal than Skooda equivalent and the other contenders. Then a work colleague syas he loves hos new electric 2008, so we have to visit Peugeot. She did drive the current plug in hybrid model - there are very few existing self charging ones - and loved it. Deal done. Woman made up her mind!!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Posted in the Random Irritations thread a couple of weeks ago that an Open Reach engineer had reversed his van into Mrs Colch's car and damaged the passenger door. Found out yesterday that the insurance company are writing it down as DTL - drivable total loss. We've got the option of £3600 or £3150 plus the car back. Found a new door for it at a local scrapyard for £50 so probably going to go with the second option. Apparently need to then get a new MOT for it. Just a shame that he didn't hit my car instead as I'd then be looking to get an EV to replace it, but with Mrs Colch's car needed for towing her trailer and the caravan can't replace that one with an EV.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

To most people a car is the transport equivalent of buying a washing machine. It’s just a tool to get them from one place to another.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To most people a car is the transport equivalent of buying a washing machine. It’s just a tool to get them from one place to another.

Exactly, the spec sheet tells you so much aswell. Thinking about it I bought my last 5 cars without a test drive

Three brand new, didn't bother test driving

Two second hand..one had delivered to home during COVID (juggernaut) and the other delivered to work (wife's car)

I think for me anyways the rise of PCP means test driving isn't so important.. my 3 years of PCP are a long test drive.. I either hand back (the Corsa) sell on (my HRv) or purchase (Kia looks set)

Second hand you can normally make what you paid back if you really hated it. (Juggernaut we had no choice. We either got it or didn't fit)

That said out of my last 5 cars not one of them I've hated the ride or drive .. or been uncomfortable

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just heard back from the insurance company. It's going to be a Cat N write off. No structural damage so we can just get the door replaced and put it through the MOT again.
Cools. Pretty sure you aren't looking to sell on so no issue there. Just maybe check the insurance don't play silly on the new insurance.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cools. Pretty sure you aren't looking to sell on so no issue there. Just maybe check the insurance don't play silly on the new insurance.

Might try to trade it in later this year to get a van instead but will obviously declare it when we do. If we can't do that then we'll either sell it privately or sell it for scrap. For now we just need it fixed and back on the road so that Mrs Colch can keep using it for work. Insurance company have said that there will be no change to the policy so fingers crossed they stick to that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing im struggling to get used to with the new car is just how far it goes day to day without needing to actually top up

Sunday woke up to 100%

Went 30 miles. Got in from work today 50 mile round trip

Doing 85 miles tomorrow for golf , usually id charge the Corsa as it after work I wouldn't want to go on a 80 mile trip just incase

I've got 68% battery

I can do the trip, do golf Thursday (top up 15% at the club) then do work and back Friday Saturday before I'd need a good night charge for golf Sunday (120 miles)