Worst meltdown in your golfing life?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

As the topic suggests. What is the worst meltdown/low point of your golfing life?

I'll kick it off with my personal experience.

6 years ago I went on a 5 day golf holiday in the southern parts of Sweden (yes, I'm Swedish) together with a few mate's of mine. It was planned accordingly, with the following components:

Morning: Golf

Afternoon/night: Drink

I am a very competitive person. Always have been, always will be. So even though the golf break was a getaway just for fun, there's always the competitive devil in the back of my head. I had been on a pretty ugly downwards spiral in terms of my golf before the trip, so I hoped the trip could help me find the joy with the game again.

First round: I cannot remember the actual score, but what I do remember was that I was furious walking off the course after the 18th.

Oh well, a few drinks and a bbq in the sun should sort things out and get the mood back on track.

Next morning. A summary of my shots would've looked something like this: Shank, shank, shank, thin, fat, shank, thin, fat.

After shanking 2 balls out of bounds on the 6th, elevated par 3 hole - I packed my bags, got in the car and drove back home. A neat little journey of about 5 hours.

I didn't touch a golf club until I got back into the game again last May. Now I'm obsessed, but in a good way. I still get the occasional twitch in my eye as it turns black and smoke is coming out my ears when I see the ball taking that awful right turn mid air when you blast off with the driver from tee, but 6 years older means 6 years wiser - and calmer. A few deep breaths and I'm good to go again.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really a meltdown, more like a Tin Cup moment on the 17th at Milford GC. It's a 100y hole over water to a small green. I took a 13 as I kept dropping the ball in the splosh!

D

Deleted member 25172

Not really a meltdown, more like a Tin Cup moment on the 17th at Milford GC. It's a 100y hole over water to a small green. I took a 13 as I kept dropping the ball in the splosh!

That just means that you're in the same club as Sergio Garcia, although his 13 came on a par 5. And well, at Augusta. With millions watching.

Same same but different.

D

Deleted member 21258

Due to 100 hour work pressures, I entered the club champs and by the 1st tee already knew I should not have been there and should be working. Not a scoring meltdown but just a WTH am I doing meltdown, I was slightly Mr angry.:eek: I walked off(we were a 3 ball) after my tee shot on the 4th tee and shortly afterwards stopped playing for years apart from a couple of golf days a year.

Left my best golfing pal playing with a stranger, have never walked off a course before or after.

Still embarrassed by it now and more gutted that I do not see the guy anymore due his move abroad a couple of years later, we just clicked on the course for whatever reason.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mini melt down the other week.
Got onto our par 5 4th for two about 15 feet from the flag, proceeded to 3 putt for a par as you do.
Walked onto the next tee and knocked two drives oob.
It’s probably the only time I’ve genuinely wanted to walk off a course.

D

Deleted member 25172

Mini melt down the other week.
Got onto our par 5 4th for two about 15 feet from the flag, proceeded to 3 putt for a par as you do.
Walked onto the next tee and knocked two drives oob.
It’s probably the only time I’ve genuinely wanted to walk off a course.

Melt down? That's just standard day on the course that is. :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
After a couple of months with an horrendous slice I was playing a friendly knock with a couple of mates when the volcano finally erupted. On a difficult par 4, pond at driving distance, I decided to lay up short of the pond. Second shot was a total top into the water. Okay, let's drop another ball. Cue second top into the water. BOOM! The clubs, on the trolley, were driven into the pond. Much applause from the balcony.

Unfortunately my car keys and wallet were in the golf bag. Trousers off, and in I went. I dragged the offending equipment out of the pond, accompanied by much laughter and cheering.

Neck now fully wound in.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
hahaha Hobbit, love it, and there was me thinking you were calmness personified.

I have hurled a few clubs and walked in once but that was due to atrocious weather (the whole fourball agreed to call it a day), fortunately never fully lost it.... yet

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't really remember what went wrong as I've scrubbed it from my mind now, but on the first round of this year's club champs back in June I birdied the first but then went on to score 109. Twenty shots over my handicap at the time. My worst round in the last two or three years for sure. One month later I went round in 84 in a monthly medal. So the club champs must have been a meltdown of sorts! I don't think I've even scored higher than 95 since then.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Front 9 one round, and 24 points. Back nine gave me 10 points for a pitiful 34:(

Had a 14 on a par 3, tee shot into the greenside bunker, 11 to get out the bunker trying to be too cute to the pin cut close to the bunkers front edge then 2 putts. Yes it was a medal round as well.

The world will keep turning is all I can ever say to myself.

Visit site
I've never walked off during a round but plenty of times after a build up of bad shots I've ended up waving the club like Excalibur and hacking at the trees/branches/vegetation...much to the howls of laughter from playing partners.

Once I took a full baseball swing to my bag...when we reached the 19th I then found my phone (in my bag) smashed :eek: ... that ended up an expensive round!

I have calmed down a bit since then thankfully.

D

Deleted member 25172

Front 9 one round, and 24 points. Back nine gave me 10 points for a pitiful 34:(

Had a 14 on a par 3, tee shot into the greenside bunker, 11 to get out the bunker trying to be too cute to the pin cut close to the bunkers front edge then 2 putts. Yes it was a medal round as well.

The world will keep turning is all I can ever say to myself.

11 to get out of the bunker? Goodness me. My bunker game is well below par and I might need 2 or 3 on the odd occasion to get out, but that would probably have resulted in a heart attack for me.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
11 to get out of the bunker? Goodness me. My bunker game is well below par and I might need 2 or 3 on the odd occasion to get out, but that would probably have resulted in a heart attack for me.
The pin was cut close to the front of the green, and close to the edge of the bunker. I was trying to be too cute and drop the ball on the edge of the bunker so it finished close to the pin, only it kept bouncing off the top edge of the bunker. Once I got so far with it, I couldnt admit my error of judgement and kept trying, only to then admit my error after 10 attempts and put it into the middle of the green which is what I should have done in the first place.
All I could do was laugh at my stupidity, and it's something I wont be allowed ever to forget.:oops:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Worst I can recall was getting a call from the office on the 9th hole about multiple absenteeism’s and listening to the couldn’t care less attitude from the manager sent me over the edge, so ripped him a new one but still played absolutely shocking for the back 9

D

Deleted member 25172

The pin was cut close to the front of the green, and close to the edge of the bunker. I was trying to be too cute and drop the ball on the edge of the bunker so it finished close to the pin, only it kept bouncing off the top edge of the bunker. Once I got so far with it, I couldnt admit my error of judgement and kept trying, only to then admit my error after 10 attempts and put it into the middle of the green which is what I should have done in the first place.
All I could do was laugh at my stupidity, and it's something I wont be allowed ever to forget.:oops:

Well, I guess I now know where your "Forever trying." comes from... :)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've said a few times over the years that I am not that competitive, yes I like to play good golf, but accept that many bad rounds are coming. I try and go with the flow, accepting reality and at worst a few swear words and repetitive head shaking will emerge.

Too much competitiveness is a bad thing, not just for yourself but your playing partners. We had to have a word with one of our regulars this season as his outbursts where becoming more frequent and out of control (it has worked thankfully, as he was told he would be asked to leave the group if it didn't change)

I have played with a few people who have walked of and frankly I'm embarrassed for them. Similar to the OP I have seen someone do it on a 6 day golfing holiday - taking of and flying home on their own!. Anyone responding like that to a game of golf needs to, at the very least consider the impact they may be having on others

D

Deleted member 25172

I've said a few times over the years that I am not that competitive, yes I like to play good golf, but accept that many bad rounds are coming. I try and go with the flow, accepting reality and at worst a few swear words and repetitive head shaking will emerge.

Too much competitiveness is a bad thing, not just for yourself but your playing partners. We had to have a word with one of our regulars this season as his outbursts where becoming more frequent and out of control (it has worked thankfully, as he was told he would be asked to leave the group if it didn't change)

I have played with a few people who have walked of and frankly I'm embarrassed for them. Similar to the OP I have seen someone do it on a 6 day golfing holiday - taking of and flying home on their own!. Anyone responding like that to a game of golf needs to, at the very least consider the impact they may be having on others

I'm with you 100% on this. I still get embarrassed today, 6 years later, thinking about what I put down in my first post. But you live and learn. I'm trying not to beat myself down too much anymore, and if I do, I try to keep it inside as best possible. Cause as you said, it ruins the round for your playing partners. I've actually started to meditate to try and get a healthier approach to it. Not mainly for my golf, but it sure is one of the reasons.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think my worst one was my first ever strokeplay comp. At a small 9-hole away course. I think the worst thing is that I went there with a lot of confidence, because it is a short course where accuracy is way more important than length, and normally that really suits my game. But I had never played that course and on that specific day, everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong.

It started with me running late, because I got stuck in traffic in a tiny village that had their annual shooters guard festivities (a major thing in German small villages ... parade with marching bands, the local priest blessing the shooters guns, loads of beer ... all happening on the street while I only wanted to drive through that stupid village). I just made it, no time for a decent warm up except for a few hurried putts. When I wanted to register, I noticed that I had left my wallet at home and didn't even have enough money to pay the entrance fee. Luckily I met someone I knew and she lend me 25 €. So I was already totally stressed out when I made it to the first tee. Short par 3 over water (which normally shouldn't even come into play ... more like a ditch than anything, nowhere near the green). I shanked my first ball oob, topped my third into the water hazard and when I finally left that hole behind me, it was the first time I ever had to record a two digit score for a hole. An 11. On a par 3. And it did not get much better. I came dead last with a score of 72 for the 9holes. It really hurt.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
loads unfortunately, too many to list all of them on here.

but had a couple of bad doses of Shanks in the past, one medal at Tain didn't miss a fairway of the tee then shermaned every 2nd shot OOB, lost a lot of balls and walked off after 8 holes. Has a similar experience at a Forum meet around Blairgowrie a few years ago too, but finished the round all the same, even lost a ball up a tree.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh thats easy, 6 under par gross after 4 holes, birdie eagle eagle birdie, ended up 6 over. :confused:I think it was the absolute worst 0.2 cut Ive ever had.