Worst golf course that you have played/visited!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with Tylney Park - that place was a joke.

You can throw Horton Park in Epsom in there too. A bunch of cow fields with some tees and some "greens" at the end of each.

I use to play there free as I knew the pros not long after it opened. It was horrid. Not been back in years and not even seen their island green on the par 3. Tylney is now much better and I was really impressed the last time I played it

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You can throw Horton Park in Epsom in there too. A bunch of cow fields with some tees and some "greens" at the end of each.

Must admit, I think the Horton Park addition is a little harsh. Yes it does have that patch in the middle which is a bit boring however it is a pay and play and they've invested some decent money in the last 12 months or so. Having played it last month with a friend I think that if this was truly in the running for 'Worst Golf Course' then there are a lot of courses around the country in a lot of trouble!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I use to play there free as I knew the pros not long after it opened. It was horrid. Not been back in years and not even seen their island green on the par 3. Tylney is now much better and I was really impressed the last time I played it

Yes - I played Tylney Park earlier this year - and it bucketed for half the round. But it coped pretty well with the rain and I enjoyed my round (trying at the same time to get an invite off two Wentworth ladies PPs to play their place - I failed :()

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've never played a course that I've declared I wouldn't go back to. Though there are a few I would take a bit of convincing about!

And price/style contribute quite a bit to my opinion.

The 2 that spring to mind 'down South' are The Barn and Blakes. The Barn is simply a cheap and cheerful place to place some golf and have a beer - quite a good beginners course, but not interesting enough for me. Blakes deems itself an 'inland links' but that's only because they (probably) never budgeted for tree planting - so the wind is a huge factor. Pretty dodgy drainage/maintenance and similar cheapest possible approach to bar/food/changing rooms. A couple of good holes, but both times I've played there, I've come away thinking it was a waste of a day!

As for Arbroath..an apparent 'dull' sort of course that is quite deceptive. Didn't have a problem with the Pro as a couple of members invited me to join them - such is the way of golf in that part of the world! Simple (and cheap) classic old (ancient even) links golf that is a pleasure to be teased and tormented! And it was only a light breeze too!

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a course I can't recall the name of just outside Nottingham, not too far from the power station, laughable when I played it 6/7/8 years ago. The company was good though!

Wasn't there a thread like this a few years ago?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Oceanico Faldo course.

Faldo should not be allowed to design golf courses if this is what he comes up with. It looked pretty, but you had no idea what to do on most of the tees. No idea what the strategy should be, as most of the hazards were hidden from view, and a fair number of blind drives.

On a 660 yard par 5, I expect to be able to hit a driver. It was a blind drive over a mound. I nailed it, bang on the line I had chosen, and ran out of fairway, never to be seen again. In retrospect, I should have hit a 4i. Even the strokesaver didn't give a yardage to the end of the fairway, so unless you had played it before you had no idea what was going to happen. My line was perfect, but about 50 yards too long.

Couldn't agree more. Despite the hype which came with the opening of this course, the comfortable clubhouse and the great views, this has to be the most tricked up course I have ever played.

Our group of eight were split 50/50. Some loved it. I absolutely hated it and will never set foot there again.

The Lion

Visit site
Thought I’d reactivate this thread with an absolute cracker about the “goat track” (as per Forumers) that is Lydd. Check out the image below for a laugh...

1621348752971.jpeg

That’ll be as good as Rye or Littlestone then ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But what defines a bad course? I've played at places where the members were the worst bunch of people I've ever met, but the course was nice. I have a distain for 9 hole courses but only when I think about membership - I don't mind playing them but I'd wouldn't consider bothering to join one, doing 9 at mine is fine, but being limited to just 9, get lost, I'd rather not bother.

Is it the bar, the pro, the pro shop, lack of facilities or the course itself.

For example I don't mind Tenterden, but the pro shop is like a shed and the driving range is miles away. I like Ashford, but find the noise from the M20 distracting at times. I'm not a fan of the Ridge, just because every time I play there the condition of the course is terrible - but the clubhouse is decent. In fact I'd rate Lydd over the Ridge course wise.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
But what defines a bad course? I've played at places where the members were the worst bunch of people I've ever met, but the course was nice. I have a distain for 9 hole courses but only when I think about membership - I don't mind playing them but I'd wouldn't consider bothering to join one, doing 9 at mine is fine, but being limited to just 9, get lost, I'd rather not bother.

For example I don't mind Tenterden, but the pro shop is like a shed and the driving range is miles away. I like Ashford, but find the noise from the M20 distracting at times. I'm not a fan of the Ridge, just because every time I play there the condition of the course is terrible - but the clubhouse is decent. In fact I'd rate Lydd over the Ridge course wise.

A pretty good summation Sats, but I'd add locally Sene Valley can be a slog with its height changes and the low 9 in winter can get extremely wet, Faversham has a few mmmmmm holes, Sittingbourne is pretty ok, Bearsted has some holes you cant see off the tee where to hit due to elevation and dog legs, and none hold up well in winter as they're pretty much all on clay.

I wish I lived Hampshire/Berkshire way but then membership is dearer that way on ?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
But what defines a bad course? I've played at places where the members were the worst bunch of people I've ever met, but the course was nice.

I think you’re misunderstanding the thread title and confusing golf clubs with golf courses......

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thought I’d reactivate this thread with an absolute cracker about the “goat track” (as per Forumers) that is Lydd. Check out the image below for a laugh...

View attachment 36671

That’ll be as good as Rye or Littlestone then ?

No, Lydd is nowhere near Rye or Littlestone or any other local course as it is, but I played there a couple of times in the last 2 years and with a fair amount of money spent on it, it could be as good as Royal Cinque Ports or st George's - it's a long track, plays like a Links course and the acreage would allow a fantastic course.a few years ago topsoil was allowed to be dumped on the sides of many fairways and that improved the aesthetics enormously

However, the course owner owns Lydd airport too and wants to make it another Garwick and build a hotel on the golf course - it hasn't happened in the years I've been here and I dont ever see it happening

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A pretty good summation Sats, but I'd add locally Sene Valley can be a slog with its height changes and the low 9 in winter can get extremely wet, Faversham has a few mmmmmm holes, Sittingbourne is pretty ok, Bearsted has some holes you cant see off the tee where to hit due to elevation and dog legs, and none hold up well in winter as they're pretty much all on clay.

I wish I lived Hampshire/Berkshire way but then membership is dearer that way on ?

I get you with Sene being hilly! I do like to run up the 17th for a cardio boost!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I get you with Sene being hilly! I do like to run up the 17th for a cardio boost!

I played it several dozen times just before I was due my first hip replacement. I invariably hit in the crud right, you cant know how painful the search was ??

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played it several dozen times just before I was due my first hip replacement. I invariably hit in the crud right, you cant know how painful the search was ??

It's testament to the buggy park at Sene we've got over 45 buggies for members! On other notes - we'll have to get out for a game either at yours or mine.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's testament to the buggy park at Sene we've got over 45 buggies for members! On other notes - we'll have to get out for a game either at yours or mine.

Mine is In a right state at the moment but it will improve eventually

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Arborath - this is actually just the pro who had an attitude when I walked in the door and then came out to watch me hit my first tee shot. I tried to make pleasant conversation and got the reply of "i just came out here to make sure you played off the yellow tees". Which I did for the first hole. Utter t0sser.

Just for reference as this is an old topic - Arbroath got a new pro three years ago.