Worst golf course that you have played/visited!

D

Deleted member 15344

Funny how so many of these courses have very 'grand' names.

For me.
Thames Ditton & Esher. in England
Benbecula in Scotland...........probably the worst course in the universe.

Thats not really a golf course though is it ?

Just a pitch and putt around the airfield

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you talking about the same Dorset Golf & Country club I went to last year and am going back to this year? I went in September, none of the holes are impossible, we have buggies but I don't remember any long drives between holes, the clubhouse is nice with decent food and beer and it wasn't at all boggy. They also have a large changing room. If you're talking about this one...

http://www.dorsetgolfresort.com

...you either have very high expectations, are very bad at golf or it's gone downhill rapidly in 9 months.

I think that he is referring to the course from about 30 years ago when it was called lakey hill. There are a couple of walks between tees now, but I think the worst thing is the internal OOB to the right of the 6th hole. The course has matured well since it was revamped 25 years ago, and no I am not a member there.

Hack-Man-Hob

Club Champion
Visit site
Its a great hole. The one after is also a good par 3. I like boldmere but I guess its because it's where I started to learn the game. It's very short and the lay out is poor. That's all changing tho I've heard. The clubhouse is moving to where the 17th is. Not sure when the work is taking place.

Yeah that little trio of par threes up in the trees is great, I've been playing it since council just let it go and mytime took over, condition has really improved in that 2/3 years. I heard the same about the club house, the 17th is just the crappest hole! I offended the pro my first time there I actually thought it was the chipping green he wasn't happy, he's gone now, hopefully that hole will be too! Make the most of the space you have I suppose is the difficulty for Boldmere being inside Sutton Park if only they the land SCGC has just the other side of the park

Hack-Man-Hob

Club Champion
Visit site
For me it's a strange answer but let me explain... Tamworth (Ammington) the worst and best (ish)....

1st course I played in England and a great layout, mature, interesting holes awesome members and a lot of history fantastic condition. Worst because of the terrible way it was managed neglected and the rapid decline untill it was eventually lost.

I believe the council were really struggling to make it profitable and changed ownership to a guy who was allowing truck loads of dirt and gravel and all sorts of cack to be dumped on the course, it ran out of money and it eventually died (not science facts just a rough outline on what I believe happened with probably a whole lot deeper political and financial issues for another thread)

Anyway I heard it had just re opened maybe a day or two after months of closure after hard fought die hard golfers negotiations and DIY maintenance to get it opened and really wanted to play it again. 25 quid and the greens were like the moon with a touch of weeds and the fairways were like the grass verge out side my house (with dog poop) .... I was really cheesed off for the front 9 but the back 9 I was alot more aware of what had actually gone on here and the efforts and love of the locals who did everything to get it back up and running.
Played a few holes on the back 9 with and old old member his Mrs (and their dog) and it was the most enjoyable few holes Ive ever had. Was a real sense of spirit and fight form the little members that were left and the local residents we encountered on and around the course and lots of thankyou's for choosing to play there.

Terrible terrible condition and really sad to see how it had withered from what was once a great muni course if not the best in the uk. Think its still clinging on, opened and maybe closed and opened a couple of times I hope it survives but I think it's damned as the land has already been sold.

Shame

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think that he is referring to the course from about 30 years ago when it was called lakey hill. There are a couple of walks between tees now, but I think the worst thing is the internal OOB to the right of the 6th hole. The course has matured well since it was revamped 25 years ago, and no I am not a member there.

Is that on that Par 5 with the water hazard about 100yds from the green? If so I agree, that's very strange. From memory, it doglegs right off the tee but cutting the corner isn't an option because of the trees so not quite sure why you would need OOB.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thames Ditton & Esher - as already stated, appalling little 9-hole course with public everywhere, mad confusing layout and just silly holes.

Wimbledon Common - outside of the officious Nazi-like park rangers on their horses, the course is poor, greens wet and spongy almost all year and the clubhouse is nothing more than a football changing room.

The Belfry - they rip you off from the minute you walk in the door, treat you like sh1t and the course is way way over-rated.

Arborath - this is actually just the pro who had an attitude when I walked in the door and then came out to watch me hit my first tee shot. I tried to make pleasant conversation and got the reply of "i just came out here to make sure you played off the yellow tees". Which I did for the first hole. Utter t0sser.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thames Ditton & Esher - as already stated, appalling little 9-hole course with public everywhere, mad confusing layout and just silly holes.

Wimbledon Common - outside of the officious Nazi-like park rangers on their horses, the course is poor, greens wet and spongy almost all year and the clubhouse is nothing more than a football changing room.

The Belfry - they rip you off from the minute you walk in the door, treat you like sh1t and the course is way way over-rated.

Arborath - this is actually just the pro who had an attitude when I walked in the door and then came out to watch me hit my first tee shot. I tried to make pleasant conversation and got the reply of "i just came out here to make sure you played off the yellow tees". Which I did for the first hole. Utter t0sser.
Theres really no need for pro's especially in the current climate or at any time for that matter to act like this, worthy of going back in the pro shop after your round and pointing out to him how much of a pratt you found him and that he's proberly the clubs worst asset.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was talking to one of the greenkeepers on the way round and told him the story. He agreed the pro was a nob and thought playing off the whites for 17 holes was totally the right thing to do. It was when he described the pro as "being so annoying you thought he was English" was when I really fell about laughing.

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers , it really should be a lot better now with all the good weather we've had, compared to last year.

Even the good weather wouldn't persuade me to play westerwood again. There's enough decent courses within 15mins drive of there to justify not playing it. I wouldn't go back there even if it was for free, too many (stupid) blind shots and the course not in great condition. With the weather having been good take plenty of balls as there'll be a lot of unpredictable bounces into rough and down hills.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Funny how so many of these courses have very 'grand' names.

For me.
Thames Ditton & Esher. in England

This course is the reason I got golf insurance. Depending on the time of day you could stand on the 4th/5th tees (you play up and down the same fairway) for 15/20 minutes waiting for the dog walkers, followed by the Esher College students to clear, you'd step up only to find the 5:30pm from Waterloo at arrived and the courses was inundated with commuters. Eventually you just have to go for it otherwise you're there all day.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I haven't played a vast amount of courses so I'm not really in a posistion to pick a really bad one but I'm going to anyway.

For me it would have to be Bolmere Golf Club in Sutton Coldfield, it is a muni so you get what your given but at the same time the layout and design is awful.

Here's the scorecard which will give you an idea of what I mean...

That 240 yard par 3 is a blind tee shot over a hill :mmm:
I started playing golf at Boldmere in the 1960's when it was quite a nice little nine holer. Then they changed it into an 18 hole by adding three holes in an adjacent field and shoehorning 6 extra holes into the existing layout. Didn't really work and made the resulting course far too short.

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Swansea bay, terrible golf course rough was 3ft long 1 inch off tight fairway, raised greens then 3ft rough no cut between. Every playing in our society lost at least 5 balls Never going to play that course again

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Swansea bay, terrible golf course rough was 3ft long 1 inch off tight fairway, raised greens then 3ft rough no cut between. Every playing in our society lost at least 5 balls Never going to play that course again

Harsh!

You should all have made a bit more effort to keep your balls on the cut stuff.

Long rough is not a good reason IMO to vote a club the worst you've ever played when every course around the country is struggling to cope with knee high (and deeper) rough. I know that the greenkeepers at my place are struggling to keep the rough under control as it is horrific in places - and they can't cut it all down.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even the good weather wouldn't persuade me to play westerwood again. There's enough decent courses within 15mins drive of there to justify not playing it. I wouldn't go back there even if it was for free, too many (stupid) blind shots and the course not in great condition. With the weather having been good take plenty of balls as there'll be a lot of unpredictable bounces into rough and down hills.
MC72 , I was only trying to cheer up Matt 71 a little, but i do agree with you :thup:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The course that I like the least is Wareham. It has just never done anything for me.

Edit:

I forgot about Bridport & West Dorset. 2 decent holes and the rest is just not inspiring to me. Only ever played there in club matches and would never pay for the privilege.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I played Tylney Park in Hampshire a few years back and it had knee high rough either side of the fairway and encircling every green. If a ball missed a fairway by five yards it was gone. Similarly if the ball missed a green by ten yards in any direction it was also a lost ball. I slated it at the time and it was a contender to usurp Lydd. I went back a year later and they had cut the rough right back, made it far more playable and it was a different course and an excellent challenge. I hope that Swansea Bay could see the light too

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with Tylney Park - that place was a joke.

You can throw Horton Park in Epsom in there too. A bunch of cow fields with some tees and some "greens" at the end of each.