Worst golf course that you have played/visited!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry but I really don't like this sort of thread - not a lot of sensitivity shown to members of clubs 'damned' when these clubs may have or have had issues we know nothing about and members who may be working their socks off to keep the place going and improve it. Yes - maybe in some circumstances members of such a club can use this sort of thing as 'supporting evidence' - but I'm still not comfortable.

LCVreg

Assistant Pro
www.wessexgolf.com
Sorry but I really don't like this sort of thread - not a lot of sensitivity shown to members of clubs 'damned' when these clubs may have or have had issues we know nothing about and members who may be working their socks off to keep the place going and improve it. Yes - maybe in some circumstances members of such a club can use this sort of thing as 'supporting evidence' - but I'm still not comfortable.

This was prompted by a similar one being done by Kevin Markham in Ireland - as you will see from my opening piece, I am not in it to castigate any particular course, and indeed, i notice some very silly replies already. No i am trying to get a picture of those courses that are terribly run, either by conditions or attitude, and thence people can thereon make up their own minds. Short term nonsense about insects on fairways and all that should be cast aside, but having to pay £40 on an uncut cart track, with bunkers that havn't seen a rake in months and with an attitude of take it or leave it should be well documented for all to see!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This was prompted by a similar one being done by Kevin Markham in Ireland - as you will see from my opening piece, I am not in it to castigate any particular course, and indeed, i notice some very silly replies already. No i am trying to get a picture of those courses that are terribly run, either by conditions or attitude, and thence people can thereon make up their own minds. Short term nonsense about insects on fairways and all that should be cast aside, but having to pay £40 on an uncut cart track, with bunkers that havn't seen a rake in months and with an attitude of take it or leave it should be well documented for all to see!

I can see what you are getting at - but if I am looking at playing a course it's easy enough to find out what it's like and then to decide whether to not to play. But it is always my decision to play or not - and some clubs and their members could find the sort of comments made about their track very offensive and unfair. Make general comments that you found a certain course X, Y or Z but to damn it as 'the worst' is (I feel) a bit unfair.

LCVreg

Assistant Pro
www.wessexgolf.com
Oh sad, i though thames Ditton and Esher was a cracking little 9 hole oasis - OK, it will never be in bril condition, but it is what it is and everything reflects this.....as for Benbecula, well, again, exactly what it is, a typical old flat scottish island course - you gets what you find - sheep probably best fairway mowers.....I'd play on any of these wonderfull old and small Scottish course in preference to any of these modern goliaths, given the chance............but then, I am wierd!!

LCVreg

Assistant Pro
www.wessexgolf.com
Yep fair comment! - a lot of golf organisers, members etc put in a lot of work and to have say a disaffected ex member or the like slate something can be really irksome. I hope though that in the total thread, this can be separated from the truly awful, in one way or another, places.
I can see what you are getting at - but if I am looking at playing a course it's easy enough to find out what it's like and then to decide whether to not to play. But it is always my decision to play or not - and some clubs and their members could find the sort of comments made about their track very offensive and unfair. Make general comments that you found a certain course X, Y or Z but to damn it as 'the worst' is (I feel) a bit unfair.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

is this the same guy that went to Castle Stuart in Dec when the course was closed and made up a review?

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fingers crossed for you, let me know if its improved. My course is only about 15 miles away from there, depending on the date i can sign on 3 players £10 each , downside is you have to play along with me.

cheers that is quality but its a 4 ball with our kid from Sunny Falkirk and co. Will let you know how bad it is when we play :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Lydd. This thread can be closed now. We have a winner. Saturday morning, with a comp on and only three cars including one which was our group, in the car park. Not a soul on the course. Even the members didn't want to play it in a comp!

That's outrageous Homer, how could you possibly run down one of the finest courses in East Kent and make out that its a goat track ....... oh sorry! I thought you meant Littlestone, no Lydd really is a ploughed potato field where even potatoes wouldn't want to be!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh i doubt it very much! - He has written two books on Irish golf courses, and has played every single one of the (the 18 holers anyway)

no thats the guy all right pulled him up about it at the time.

He walked around the course, but did not play it... he even commented he had a great crac in the club house which was a dead givaway. firstly the place was closed and its not a members club so no one there, i was good mates with the front of house manager at the time he confirmed this after the review was put in the mag!

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Very much in agreement. This is a negative thread which could be harmful to some in certain circumstances. The forum should just provide interest and entertainment.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

yet we are quite happy to damn businesses that give someone a bad service who might also be trying hard to improve?

D

Deleted member 15344

The courses at the Ashbury Manor hotel would have to be up there based on my last experience a couple of years ago. They used to be OK but last time I went they had really gone downhill. It's a shame because it used to be a decent layout but they have gotten a bit big for themselves and can't keep up with the maintainence. On top of that, the quality of food is awful and the beer is too expensive.

It used to be great for a group of golfers who went to play golf and have a beer in the evening, now it's great for a group of drinkers who go to drink and play golf in the day.

Kigsbere is still a cracking course but you're not far wrong with the others

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me its Elemore in County Durham. You ever pay behind the bar for your golf and their website has a picture of a dude playing in jogging bottoms (at least it did then) you know your in for a bad one!!!

First hole, eyeing up the flag with a 6 iron my hand. Hit it 50 yards over the back. Getting up to the green i found the flag wasn't far away, but in fact a tiny 3ft flag - like a corner flag from a kids Sunday league game.

Fluffy green, rubbish in the bunkers and a proper stinky lake in the middle.

That said its not a bad layout, just has roughly £0 investment in the course.

D

Deleted member 17920

Kigbeare is definitely the best of them I'll give you that. I don't much care for the 5 and a half hour rounds though (especially considering you have to use a buggy)
Haven't been to the ashbury golf hotel for a few years but never had a slow round and I have been 5 times, kigbeare is the best course by a long way.

As for the worst course I have played and wouldn't visit again it would have to be Swiss fairways clermont Florida, got to the shop to check in asked if it was busy and was told its quiet today, me and my mate paid the $30 to play, 1st hole quiet got to the 2nd hole and 4 groups waiting, pin positions a joke the whole way round cue the 6hr round! Can't believe to this day we actually finished the round and didn't quit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very much in agreement. This is a negative thread which could be harmful to some in certain circumstances. The forum should just provide interest and entertainment.

I said quite clearly in my post that we turned up on a Saturday morning with a monthly stableford on. Two cars in the car park and no one on the course. If members aren't playing the place then I think it says a lot about the place. I didn't even mention the shocking reception we had from the staff after. Some places really don't help thmeselves