World Handicap System

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our pro handles all supplementary cards. As it wasn't in his retainer he now gets £1.50 and we charge players an extra 50p as a contribution to the computer costs (which is made for all comps in addition to the sweep and twos club). Members are quite happy about it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remember handicaps are generated almost exclusively in medal / strokeplay format. Maybe the odd stableford round counts,.

Not true where I play, we have 3 comps a week (+1 a fortnight for seniors). During the winter months these are all stablefords, during the summer 2 out of the 3 are stableford. The seniors comps are 2 stablefords to 1 medal.

(CONGU Clause C). Handicaps are mainly based upon stableford scoring as anything worse than a net double bogey is reduced too nett double bogey so having a major 'blow up' on a hole or simply recording holes as NRs actually has the same effect on handicap as having a slightly bad score on hole.

It is possible to have NRs on a card and get your handicap cut using the net double bogey adjustment

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough re: stableford - but that wasn't my impression. Both clubs I've played in only had 1 official stableford competition a year.

Other times when I looked at my stableford score in a strokeplay event, thinking it would be enough to at least hit buffer... I still went up 0.1.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough re: stableford - but that wasn't my impression. Both clubs I've played in only had 1 official stableford competition a year.

Other times when I looked at my stableford score in a strokeplay event, thinking it would be enough to at least hit buffer... I still went up 0.1.
Were you comparing with par, CSS or SSS

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Matchplay certainly doesn't help low handicappers (especially at a reasonably short course or 'easy' set up).

High handicappers can turn up and get a shot on most holes and it is quite easy to put pressure on a low man who feels he has to hit every green.
Low handicappers who think like that are the ones that get beaten by high cappers. They erroneously think that they have to play out of their skin because their opponent is getting so many shots, so they push too hard and mess up. All they need to do is play their game and wait for the high capper to blow up - which they usually do.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Low handicappers who think like that are the ones that get beaten by high cappers. They erroneously think that they have to play out of their skin because their opponent is getting so many shots, so they push too hard and mess up. All they need to do is play their game and wait for the high capper to blow up - which they usually do.

But that depends on why a player is a high handicapper.

He may be new to the game, but he is probably more likely to be an experienced player who is simply inconsistent and doesn't really try to improve particularly hard and may only play to his handicap once a season or so.

Blowing up in a medal is a big problem as it ruins your whole score, but in matchplay - its only 1 hole and you can move on knowing you are standing on the next tee with 1 free shot.

I did well as a high handicapper in matchplay when I was improving (as a 23 handicapper). I couldn't get a medal score together despite playing and trying in as many medals as I could.

In matchplay I was so much more relaxed and played (and scored) much better. Obviously I still had bad holes, but I could just pick up and move to the next tee.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blowing up in a medal is a big problem as it ruins your whole score, but in matchplay - its only 1 hole and you can move on knowing you are standing on the next tee with 1 free shot.

I did well as a high handicapper in matchplay when I was improving (as a 23 handicapper). I couldn't get a medal score together despite playing and trying in as many medals as I could.

There seems to be some confusion.

You are handicapped to stableford scoring ie If you have a 12 at a par 3 you wont be dropping 9 shots to the course from any handicap for handicap purposes!

On the other hand you will suffer when the prizes are distributed!

On balance the lower handicaps have a further advantage in medal play, it's neutral for stableford events and the higher guys have their best chances in bogey events (The match play equivilent competition).

But these are still generalities that definitely don't always play out, and I've met inconsistent cat 1 players and entirely consistent cat 4 ones (usually typified by 2 points a hole stableford cards)

Leveltwos

Visit site
Just wondering where par (bogey) competitions will fit into this? At the moment your handicap is adjusted to your +/- score against css which often doesn’t reflect what your stableford score would have been.
Also, as the whole golfing world will now be dancing to the same handicapping tune does this now mean that our golfing cousins across the water will have to cease submitting scores that include mulligans and breakfast balls etc? Or, more interestingly, will we be encouraged to use them ourselves? In the interest of world wide uniformity of course!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
does this now mean that our golfing cousins across the water will have to cease submitting scores that include mulligans and breakfast balls etc?

That will of course be a test of the 'attested scores' requirement. But rules over there seem to be a take it or leave it option.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well you certainly are bitter

“Should be lower but can’t be bothered” ?!how do you know they can’t be bothered

People play the game for different reasons a lot just for a bit of competitive fun , 99% have the HC they do for a reason

If you can’t handle losing to someone of a higher HC then don’t play in the matchplay Comps then or dry your eyes and suck it up it’s just a game and moaning and attitudes like yours give low HC a bad name. If you are that serious go and play scratch games or maybe you have a HC you can’t play too.

And your scenario is irrelevant - Golf has a Handicap System to try and level the playing field so that we can all compete together as much as possible - if you don’t like it then play scratch
I know because I ask ! That’s how I find out things in general.
Please don’t tell me what to do , if you don’t like my opinion tough.
I can play to my cap but it’s not enough against some of the bandits I’ve played.

D

Deleted member 15344

I know because I ask ! That’s how I find out things in general.
Please don’t tell me what to do , if you don’t like my opinion tough.
I can play to my cap but it’s not enough against some of the bandits I’ve played.

In all my time doing HC and Comp sec there is always that one person that always complains about High HCs , normally calls them bandits and it’s normally because they are bitter about being beaten by someone with a higher HC - my answer to them is always the same - play better or accept being beaten graciously. The HC system isn’t biased towards any HC - they have shown that factually and if you can’t handle getting beaten by a higher HC and actually refer to them as bandits then the simple answer for you is to not play in them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all my time doing HC and Comp sec there is always that one person that always complains about High HCs , normally calls them bandits and it’s normally because they are bitter about being beaten by someone with a higher HC - my answer to them is always the same - play better or accept being beaten graciously. The HC system isn’t biased towards any HC - they have shown that factually and if you can’t handle getting beaten by a higher HC and actually refer to them as bandits then the simple answer for you is to not play in them.
as I said I don’t need you to tell me what to do.
I am just voicing my opinion
High cappers don’t bother me it’s the 12/ 16 bandits that should be off 10 but you can’t see this or more like don’t want to.
every clubs got them.
Just to let you know I did say I don’t play in the ko any more .
You can’t get in the scratch events here off 5 it usually ballots at 3.0.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This reminds me of one guy at our club who believes we should do away with handicaps and it should be the best gross that wins. He no doubt has this view because he is a low handicapped senior and only ever plays in seniors comps where we have a fairly limited number of single figure golfers who play in those comps.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
This reminds me of one guy at our club who believes we should do away with handicaps and it should be the best gross that wins. He no doubt has this view because he is a low handicapped senior and only ever plays in seniors comps where we have a fairly limited number of single figure golfers who play in those comps.

Best way around all this is to have a best gross prize in amongst the normal prizes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
And he will see his subs double (at least).