World Handicap System

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Just trying to come to terms with working out my handicap index/ Score differential so if I have the wrong terminology sincere apologies but unfortunately not as well versed as some on here.

My last 8 score differentials equate to 157.4/8 = HI 19.7. number 20 at present is 16.9 and my next best is 22.9 which means if I do not better 19.7 in my next Comp. My overall total will be 163.4. One of my scores was “away’ were I had a 9 on a par 5, I had 1 shot so I take it that will be an 8. Allowing for soft/ hard caps, and a couple of other items which I read have I the basics correct or is there anything else?
You've got the basics aye, but your adjusted score will show with that deduction for the 9 already made on your record, you don't adjust it again.

wjemather

Visit site
Just trying to come to terms with working out my handicap index/ Score differential so if I have the wrong terminology sincere apologies but unfortunately not as well versed as some on here.

My last 8 score differentials equate to 157.4/8 = HI 19.7. number 20 at present is 16.9 and my next best is 22.9 which means if I do not better 19.7 in my next Comp. My overall total will be 163.4. One of my scores was “away’ were I had a 9 on a par 5, I had 1 shot so I take it that will be an 8. Allowing for soft/ hard caps, and a couple of other items which I read have I the basics correct or is there anything else?
As BB says, but one other thing... Your overall total will only be 163.4 if you do not return a better differential than 22.9 (not 19.7); if you return 19.7, your new total would be 160.2.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

I've got a spreadsheet that works everything out and makes it super easy to understand what's going on (outside of hard/soft caps). Just input 20 scores, cr and slope for each round and it does the rest.

As a nomad it's super handy to keep track of where I am and course handicaps at different courses.

Shoot me a pm if you want it pinging over.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has anyone played in a Bogey comp under WHS?

Last year on a hole where you didn’t save a shot and you missed for par you could pick up as it was a minus.
With WHS do I need to hole out so I’m not given a net double bogey on the WHS score?

badgergm

Visit site
Has anyone played in a Bogey comp under WHS?

Last year on a hole where you didn’t save a shot and you missed for par you could pick up as it was a minus.
With WHS do I need to hole out so I’m not given a net double bogey on the WHS score?
Yes, you do need to hole Out for net bogey for handicap purposes. Contrary to the guidance from R&A which still recommends picking up when lost the hole.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, you do need to hole Out for net bogey for handicap purposes. Contrary to the guidance from R&A which still recommends picking up when lost the hole.

I realised that after the comp. It makes no sense though as the strategy for a bogey comp differs from a stroke play event.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Here's one for the WHS Boffins...

My dear wife came home yesterday having scored 3 shots better than her current "20th" score. (which was one of her best 8) She was excited to see what her reduction in HI would be.

I looked at the App, and the PCC for the old "dropping off score" was 3. I said you'll have to wait till they close out the comp to see what PCC is. It was 0.

Score diff on the score that dropped out of last 20 - 30.9

Score diff on yesterday's score that replaced it as counting - 30.9

.............. handicap index stays same eh? (same course, same tees, same course rating, same slope)

Nope - Handicap Index went up 0.2

I am clearly missing something..... clues appreciated

Swango1980

Visit site

My dear wife came home yesterday having scored 3 shots better than her current "20th" score. (which was one of her best 8) She was excited to see what her reduction in HI would be.

I looked at the App, and the PCC for the old "dropping off score" was 3. I said you'll have to wait till they close out the comp to see what PCC is. It was 0.

.............. handicap index stays same eh? (same course, same tees, same course rating same slope)

Interesting. I don't suppose she was in soft or hard cap territory, with the low handicap index increasing after yesterday's round? Probably unlikely, but a possibility.

There wasn't an admin error, where the score was entered twice (only asking that, as this has been an issue at my new club, with the player entering their score, then someone at the club entering it from the card as well)?

Swango1980

Visit site
No cap issues.

If entered twice at club, wouldn't both appear on the portal?
Yeah. Without seeing her scoring record, difficult to know why it went up 0.2. If the score differential was the same as the one she lost, should have stayed the same. If it didn't feature in her top 8, then her top 8 would stay the same. If it did appear in her top 8, then it is replaced by the same number.

Like to think I am missing something, it is still early in the morning, but it is a brain scratcher

wjemather

Visit site

.............. handicap index stays same eh? (same course, same tees, same course rating, same slope)

Perhaps there has been a correction to an earlier score (or PCC)? Without seeing her full handicap record (before and after), we can only speculate, but the calculation will be accurate.

wjemather

Visit site
That's a good call... I'll get her to ask the Handicap Sec if any adjustments have been keyed.. if none have....??? :)

How would you see the handicap record "before" the last card was entered? I guess you can't.
No, there's no way of seeing how it was before the latest score entry unless an export/print was done (e.g. a full handicap certificate).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't find if this has been asked before, apologies if it has :)

Is there stilla minimum numbers of cards that must be submitted every year, similar to the 3 cards a year to maintain (c) status? Or can you play loads of 4bbb and non qualifying comps of a potentially higher handicap than is correct?

wjemather

Visit site

Is there stilla minimum numbers of cards that must be submitted every year, similar to the 3 cards a year to maintain (c) status? Or can you play loads of 4bbb and non qualifying comps of a potentially higher handicap than is correct?
Once you have a handicap, it remains valid as long as you are a member of an affiliated golf club or handicap scheme. It immediately becomes active again upon rejoining such a club/scheme, regardless of the length of time that has passed without membership. There is no requirement to submit a certain number of scores each year to maintain your handicap, but competition organisers are able to put such conditions in their terms of competition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There is no 'C' status under the WHS.

It is up to each club to set their requirements for entry in to comps.

Last edited:

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can anyone answer this query? I'm sure it has been said a thousand times on here but I'm not clear.

I played on Saturday. Score was 76. Course rating is 69.3/Slope 129. PCC was 0. Score diff is showing as 5.9.

Should it not be 6.7 as that was how many shots I was over the rating or does your actual score get adjusted down as the slope is over 113?