World Handicap System

Just trying to come to terms with working out my handicap index/ Score differential so if I have the wrong terminology sincere apologies but unfortunately not as well versed as some on here.

My last 8 score differentials equate to 157.4/8 = HI 19.7. number 20 at present is 16.9 and my next best is 22.9 which means if I do not better 19.7 in my next Comp. My overall total will be 163.4. One of my scores was “away’ were I had a 9 on a par 5, I had 1 shot so I take it that will be an 8. Allowing for soft/ hard caps, and a couple of other items which I read have I the basics correct or is there anything else?
You've got the basics aye, but your adjusted score will show with that deduction for the 9 already made on your record, you don't adjust it again.

wjemather

Just trying to come to terms with working out my handicap index/ Score differential so if I have the wrong terminology sincere apologies but unfortunately not as well versed as some on here.

My last 8 score differentials equate to 157.4/8 = HI 19.7. number 20 at present is 16.9 and my next best is 22.9 which means if I do not better 19.7 in my next Comp. My overall total will be 163.4. One of my scores was “away’ were I had a 9 on a par 5, I had 1 shot so I take it that will be an 8. Allowing for soft/ hard caps, and a couple of other items which I read have I the basics correct or is there anything else?
As BB says, but one other thing... Your overall total will only be 163.4 if you do not return a better differential than 22.9 (not 19.7); if you return 19.7, your new total would be 160.2.

hairball_89

Club Champion

I've got a spreadsheet that works everything out and makes it super easy to understand what's going on (outside of hard/soft caps). Just input 20 scores, cr and slope for each round and it does the rest.

As a nomad it's super handy to keep track of where I am and course handicaps at different courses.

Shoot me a pm if you want it pinging over.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Has anyone played in a Bogey comp under WHS?

Last year on a hole where you didn’t save a shot and you missed for par you could pick up as it was a minus.
With WHS do I need to hole out so I’m not given a net double bogey on the WHS score?

Has anyone played in a Bogey comp under WHS?

Last year on a hole where you didn’t save a shot and you missed for par you could pick up as it was a minus.
With WHS do I need to hole out so I’m not given a net double bogey on the WHS score?
Yes, you do need to hole Out for net bogey for handicap purposes. Contrary to the guidance from R&A which still recommends picking up when lost the hole.