World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get that so why penalise the high handicappers in strokeplay? What I don’t understand is why they’re different.
1) The system is attempting to equalise winning opportunities for low and high cappers in stroke play.
2) Match play is quite a different game to stroke play. Tactics, psychology where strokes are given/taken. But that's what the figures tell them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you saying the CDH database is now redundan, where would we get player’s information for opens
WHS presumably. Unless the file format of the CDH is changed and they then have two repositories of the data. 1) The WHS where all the number crunching is done and stored and 2) A slave revamped dumb CDH.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I believe that if I do not let my club share by email address and DOB with EG then I will not be able to maintain a handicap index at the Club. Not that I have any issue sharing that information - but is that the case?

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I believe that if I do not let my club share by email address and DOB with EG then I will not be able to maintain a handicap index at the Club. Not that I have any issue sharing that information - is that the case?
Yes, they asked clubs to update all that information a week or so ago on their ISVs, otherwise players would not get an Index. That caused much frustration and panic, given a lot of clubs had a lot of missing information they suddenly needed to provide.

YandaB

Visit site
Yes, they asked clubs to update all that information a week or so ago on their ISVs, otherwise players would not get an Index. That caused much frustration and panic, given a lot of clubs had a lot of missing information they suddenly needed to provide.
I don't see how they justify requiring DOB. I cannot see which of the following can require a DOB (list of things that they use the personal information for, taken from EG WHC Privacy Notice):

• to provide you with your membership services;
• to calculate your handicap;
• to run golf competitions;
• to provide you with information that you request from us or which may be of interest to you;
• to notify you about changes to our services;
• to provide member support;
• for research about our members’ behaviour and our services generally, and to report to bodies such as Sport England; and
• to develop and improve our services, website and platforms.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see how they justify requiring DOB. I cannot see which of the following can require a DOB (list of things that they use the personal information for, taken from EG WHC Privacy Notice):

• to provide you with information that you request from us or which may be of interest to you;
• for research about our members’ behaviour and our services generally, and to report to bodies such as Sport England; and
I was told it's to differentiate between EG,David Brown and another David Brown at any one club

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Would have known this when the system requirements for the WHS were drawn up. Would have been some time back. Now they ask for it? Who is running this project? :) I can guess!

I don't see how they justify requiring DOB. I cannot see which of the following can require a DOB

I am waiting for a request for my preferred personal pronouns!!

Swango1980

Visit site

I don't know. Does it help them determine what Section you are in (such as Seniors / Juniors), which feeds into what you may be interested in and conduct research on members behaviour?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that so why penalise the high handicappers in strokeplay? What I don’t understand is why they’re different.

As I understand it it is about maintaining a similar difference between the two players

Take 3 players one with a HI of 10 another with a HI of 20 playing and a third with 30 and average course with a slope rating of 125

So there is 10 shots difference in their ability using HIs

Roughly with a 95% allowance

The 10 stays at 10
The 20 goes to 21
The 30 goes to 31

so it is actually the lowest handicap player that is the worst off. Without the 95% he would now be 2 shots worse off compared to the 30 handicapper.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I understand it it is about maintaining a similar difference between the two players

Take 3 players one with a HI of 10 another with a HI of 20 playing and a third with 30 and average course with a slope rating of 125

So there is 10 shots difference in their ability using HIs

Roughly with a 95% allowance

The 10 stays at 10
The 20 goes to 21
The 30 goes to 31

so it is actually the lowest handicap player that is the worst off. Without the 95% he would now be 2 shots worse off compared to the 30 handicapper.
What would be the situation without 95%. That surely is the criterion

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Date of Birth is needed for one reason and one reason only.

So that the authorities have a means of measuring the mean/median/mode age of golfers at the beginning of the WHS and say 2 years down the line....this will allow them to proudly proclaim that the WHS has achieved one of its indirect aims of getting more and younger people playing golf. I can think of no other reason for needing the data.

DoB is not a 100% reliable way of differentiating between two golfers of the same name. If they wanted to do that then they surely would use the CDH number of the player?