World Handicap System (WHS)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slope rating is not the measure of a course's difficulty relative to other courses. The measure to compare the relative difficulty of one course to another is the Course rating.
It never ceases to surprise me that the number of times this is posted on the Golf Monthly boards referring to WHS, people don't seem to understand.

Slope simply indicates how difficult a particular set of tees at a particular course is for a high handicapper relative to a low handicapper.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It never ceases to surprise me that the number of times this is posted on the Golf Monthly boards referring to WHS, people don't seem to understand.

Slope simply indicates how difficult a particular set of tees at a particular course is for a high handicapper relative to a low handicapper.

Nothing on these boards surprises me any more...

Swango1980

Visit site
Got that. But, in my opinion, they have got it seriously wrong at my local course. It's defence is that it's very hilly, a mate of mine hates it because of this, and sometimes the pin positions can be difficult. But when I played there for one season, I could get at least one birdie a round, sometimes more, and I NEVER get these.
I'm not sure you get it, when you then immediately follow that by talking about how difficult it is?

Playing of whites at mine is miles more difficult than yellows. Course Rating is almost 3 higher off whites than yellows unsurprisingly. However, Slope is very similar, 133 whites and 130 yellows.

I guess this makes sense. Two holes off yellows are about 350 yards, and have a dyke 120 yards carry off tee. Off whites, they are about 440 yards, and carry off tee is 210 yards. So, harder for everyone. Some might say those holes are easier for low handicapper, and in an absolute sense they are, as they are more likely able to play them as par 4's. Whereas many higher handicappers have no chance of getting to green in 2 off whites. However, relatively speaking, those holes are harder for lower handicappers. They suddenly become very tough par 4's, when off yellows they are fairly easy par 4's for them. However, for higher handicappers, they are a relatively easy "par 5", whereas off yellows they are still not a very likely chance to get a 4 anyway, as they are high handicappers

Mozza14

Visit site

Most likely this is because they may be researching the subject for the first time or interpreted slope to indicate degree of difficulty.

I have followed the story quite well and for the majority of golfers, who are not scratch golfers, slope imho is indeed one measure of difficulty. It may not be the only measure, but if it is not, why are more shots being given to a 20 handicapper at the Brabazon rather than Oxley Park? It is because, for such a player that course is more difficult. The Course Rating may well be higher as well by a good amount but it is the combination of the two factors that represent difficulty for most golfers. So you can include me in those that 'don't seem to understand'.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
if there are only 8 cards in the system it is not the average of the best 8 it is the average of the lowest 2

It works like this if there are less than 20

Number of qualifying scores and calculation

3 Lowest single score minus 2 shots
4 Lowest single score minus 1 shot
5 Lowest score
6 Average of the lowest 2 scores minus 1 shot
7 to 8 Average of the lowest 2
9 to 11 Average of the lowest 3
12 to 14 Average of the lowest 4
15-16 Average of the lowest 5
17-18 Average of the lowest 6
19 Average of the lowest 7
20 or more Average of the lowest 8

it continues incrementally until there are 20 scores in the system.
How does this relate to net double bogey?

I have 12 cards in and therefore I take my average of the best 4 rounds.
But does it cap each hole on what would have been a net db at the time with my congu handicap.
Or does it go gross db, so a par 4 is 6 max ...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does this relate to net double bogey?

I have 12 cards in and therefore I take my average of the best 4 rounds.
But does it cap each hole on what would have been a net db at the time with my congu handicap.
Or does it go gross db, so a par 4 is 6 max ...
Net db is applicable. Rule 3.1b

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got that. But, in my opinion, they have got it seriously wrong at my local course. It's defence is that it's very hilly, a mate of mine hates it because of this, and sometimes the pin positions can be difficult. But when I played there for one season, I could get at least one birdie a round, sometimes more, and I NEVER get these.

Which are the other courses CF?

I think Maccs defense are the greens (slopey and v.quick) and the funky lies due to it being on the side of a hill. There's a few easier short holes as you say but its a tough start and a tough finish. I play at Macc and another course thats a fair bit longer. I find Macc trickier.

Also, I think this reinforces what is being said re slope being about the difference in difficulty for a low handicap vs a high handicap because Maccs a fairly easy course to bogey your way around, but I've bounced between 5 and 6 this year and only had a handful of decent scores there.

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which are the other courses CF?

I think Maccs defense are the greens (slopey and v.quick) and the funky lies due to it being on the side of a hill. There's a few easier short holes as you say but its a tough start and a tough finish. I play at Macc and another course thats a fair bit longer. I find Macc trickier.

Also, I think this reinforces what is being said re slope being about the difference in difficulty for a low handicap vs a high handicap because Maccs a fairly easy course to bogey your way around, but I've bounced between 5 and 6 this year and only had a handful of decent scores there.

Agreed regarding the greens and the "funky lies". But I'd have thought it would be rated for it's overall strength. The other two I'm thinking of are Styal, where I am currently, is a monster off whites and so tough, I decided to only play the required 3 rounds for H/C purposes this year and this was before all the mither we've had to endure. The other place is Westwood at Leek. If you've not played this I can highly recommend. But it's a tough place to play. A high handicap player struggles round here. And as a mid H/C, I have struggled on many occasions. 50% of the holes can destroy your card. Certainly most of the front nine, as I know for a fact.

Where do you play at normally? We should get together for a knock.

Swango1980

Visit site
My handicap has gone from 30 to 32 over night without swinging a club, could this be to do with move to WHS?
Nope, WHS doesn't come into play until 2nd November. So, definitely nothing to do with that. Perhaps it is something to do with an official from the club deleting a competition in which you received a handicap cut, or it may have been done under Handicap Review (such as Continuous Review), but you should have been told the reason why if that was the case.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
How will declaring and submitting casual rounds work under WHS? Will there be an app or a terminal at every club where you declare pre round then punch in your score or will it vary from club to club??

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How will declaring and submitting casual rounds work under WHS? Will there be an app or a terminal at every club where you declare pre round then punch in your score or will it vary from club to club??
How does your club handle them now?

But it will vary from club to club: from fully manual to fully automated (including taking any fees from your online purse).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Where I play you have two options
1. Sign in in the book in the proshop
2. Enter via an app

Swango1980

Visit site
How does your club handle them now?

But it will vary from club to club: from fully manual to fully automated (including taking any fees from your online purse).
At the moment, people have to e-mail me directly. Then, when round complete, they need to send me a photo of their scorecard, before posting it in box at club. It is a pain in the backside at times, but the PSI screen cannot be used due to Covid. Also, the way our club works, no realistic chance of getting them to register at club with staff, or give them their scores to enter. I was hoping the howdidido App would be developed so that it could all be done via that, with an easy way for handicap secs to do a regular check to ensure everything seemed to have been done reasonably. Although, I suppose the only issue is that 100% of golfers cannot be expected to enter the correct score 100% of the time. Given that some horrific mistakes have been made in the past from experienced golfers entering their scores after a competition on the PSI.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perk of being a Director but our Match Chairman can now access the portal and I've gone from 4.7 to 3.2. My mate has gone from 4.9 to 3.1 ?
So around home course of Whites and Yellows will be 3 shots compared to 5 now. HI of 3.3 goes up to 4

Last edited: