World Handicap System (WHS)

Swango1980

Visit site
Because the older members don't want to play off the back (blue)tees, but don't want to play off the whites, as it's demeaning.
But they are happy playing off the blue tees, which are brought forward of the whites? That is bizarre. Maybe the Seniors could have their own brand new set of pink tees :)

If I was determined to get big handicap cuts, let me know days when Seniors move the blue tees, and I'll come and play some general play rounds at your place

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fine, but none of that applies here.

My course always, without fail, puts out the three tee markers every day, that are way shorter than the measured course. Some of the tees are 80 yards off where they should be.

Tee markers should be within plus or minus 10 yards of the fixed distance point. There is some allowance for protection of the tees, avoidance of damage and tees undergoing repair.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
But this is getting to the core of why I disagree with supplemental cards. It's a complete nonsense.

Your club moving a certain colour of the measured tees forward for the sake of the old boys pride is a complete nonsense.

Make them play off white and the handicap effects will not be so drastic.

Why do people actually care about the colour of the blocks?!

wjemather

Visit site
Because the older members don't want to play off the back (blue)tees, but don't want to play off the whites, as it's demeaning.
Players should play from the tee markers most suited to their abilities, not their egos.
But this is getting to the core of why I disagree with supplemental cards. It's a complete nonsense.
It has nothing to do with supplementary/general play/casual rounds - it's purely down to course/greens staff not setting the course up in accordance with the rules of handicapping, presumably to pander to players who won't do as above. Your handicap committee should be removing all scores submitted on days when the course is not setup correctly.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
After reading the post on how to do scores on "away" courses I was just adding the wife in as a "friend" ready for Saturday's game at an away course and noticed her H/C has now dropped 2 shots due to her score entry on Monday.

This is a bluddy brilliant idea!!!!!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Players should play from the tee markers most suited to their abilities, not their egos.

It has nothing to do with supplementary/general play/casual rounds - it's purely down to course/greens staff not setting the course up in accordance with the rules of handicapping, presumably to pander to players who won't do as above. Your handicap committee should be removing all scores submitted on days when the course is not setup correctly.
I've been chatting to our Match Chairman about this as our tees are getting quite a lot of wear trying to keep to the 100 yards tolerance. There may have to be days we say the course is not available for casual rounds, to give them a rest ?

wjemather

Visit site
I've been chatting to our Match Chairman about this as our tees are getting quite a lot of wear trying to keep to the 100 yards tolerance. There may have to be days we say the course is not available for casual rounds, to give them a rest ?
Long term, I would suggest getting creative with additional sets of tee markers, such that all areas of the teeing grounds can be used to even wear (making sure there is +/-10 yards available from each permanent distance marker); having different sets of markers in play on different days would also help.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Long term, I would suggest getting creative with additional sets of tee markers, such that all areas of the teeing grounds can be used to even wear (making sure there is +/-10 yards available from each permanent distance marker); having different sets of markers in play on different days would also help.
Just been doing a spreadsheet ;). If the 1st was 10 yards behind the "Stones" and the 10th on the "Stones " and pro rata in-between i.e. 18th tee marker would be 8 yards forward of "Stones", the green keepers could move the markers forward at a yard a day on a 20 day rotation to give sufficient recovery time . Once tee markers got to 10 yards in front of "stones" go to the back and start all over again.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fine, but none of that applies here.

My course always, without fail, puts out the three tee markers every day, that are way shorter than the measured course. Some of the tees are 80 yards off where they should be.

We have a similar problem, albeit nothing to do with our members' ego. The course was remeasured and rated in September 2019, assuming that a new back tee would be built on our 14th. Construction has not yet taken place, so we are always going to be 30 yards short on that hole even if we use the very back of the current tee. Additionally, our greens committee seem very keen to protect the teeing areas and will only 'guarantee' that the white course is within 100 yards of its measured length on competition days. I played a casual round yesterday and the course was at least 230 yards shorter than the card. This seems totally contrary to the spirit of WHS. I am putting some evidence together to present to the people in charge of the club, in the hope that we can find a way forward.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why not just say that for a few days mid-week if you want to have a general play round being acceptable for handicap, it WILL be off the yellows? (Or which ever tees are least worn out). It's a measured course. It's got a CR and a slope. If the players are too proud to play off those tees then they can't use those days to fiddle their handicaps. That way you protect the other tees and the handicaps.

4LEX

Visit site
Could a scratch player play off the ladies tees for handicap purposes?

Sounds slightly insane but I'm planning a mates golf day and it'll be mainly having a laugh and drinking with a night out. However theres a mix of players from plus handicaps to some who would struggle to break 100. I just want to make it fun and fancy going off the ladies tees to see how low I can go and make it more fun for the hackers.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sounds slightly insane but I'm planning a mates golf day and it'll be mainly having a laugh and drinking with a night out. However theres a mix of players from plus handicaps to some who would struggle to break 100. I just want to make it fun and fancy going off the ladies tees to see how low I can go and make it more fun for the hackers.
If they have been rated for men, then absolutely ???

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Something we defo need to address in this country

Should be front middle and back tees

Swango1980

Visit site
But aren't they just 'Red' tees and measured? Like some clubs have black tees which are even further forward (often on paths in the healthlad courses) :unsure:

No, for handicap purposes, courses are rated differently for men and women. So, in your case the tees will have to have been rated for men (assuming your scratch friends are male).

It would not be possible at my club, because the county only ever rated them for women (they never asked the owner if there was an option for men, and none of the golfing Committee were even aware they were rating the course that day, so had no communication with the raters). Not sure how many other courses will have had red tees rated for men, I know there are a few.