World Handicap System (WHS)

wjemather

Visit site
Ok, that is great. So, in terms of the admin of it all (in Club V1), let us say there is a no return. Is it true that Club V1 at present is unable to have a no return option and apply the proper penalty score to WHS (if it did have that option, then it would make things so much easier). If it does not have that option, would the best be the following:

Competition closed without the player(s) who no returned at all
A list of those players sent to handicap secretary
Handicap secretary to go into WHS, and apply an appropriate penalty score (or, if player had been inlcuded in the closed competition, edit that score to ensure it is the proper penalty score)

I think that would help our comp sec to effectively set a deadline for scorecards, and whether they are returned or not, he can close the comp and not worry about chasing players (I can do the chasing for handicap)
Yes, as far as I can tell, ClubV1 does not deal with unreturned competition scores correctly, so it's a manual clean-up job on the WHS Platform - we haven't run a medal yet, but this was certainly the case with our Stableford comps.

Penalty scores are discretionary, "aimed at those who deliberately fail to return a score, or for those who persistently refuse to return scores", so it's unlikely ISVs will ever automate them. FWIW, I submitted an enhancement request for a better, semi-automated process on the WHS Platform in December/January.

Anyway, I'd probably suggest something like this:

1. Close competition and allow ClubV1 to deal with the unreturned scores as it does (i.e. submit "all 0s" to WHS).
2. List of unreturned scores to handicap secretary.
3. Handicap secretary to delete these scores on WHS asap, ideally the same day (I assume WHS will include these in the PCC calculation, but shouldn't since they are not valid scores).
4. Handicap secretary attempts to obtain the actual scores and input onto WHS asap.
5. Handicap secretary to apply penalty score per the guidance (if deemed appropriate) the following day if the actual scores cannot be determined.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Found a possible flaw with the EG app. Played at Enville today which has poor phone coverage, so wasn't able to open it all. That maybe down to my provider and didn't try WiFi to see if it opened it or not.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Found a possible flaw with the EG app. Played at Enville today which has poor phone coverage, so wasn't able to open it all. That maybe down to my provider and didn't try WiFi to see if it opened it or not.

This will be a problem but you could pre reg with the pro and sign the card the old fashioned way no?

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm terriffied by all of this. Its literally the end of handicapping in my view. Did Smileys card effect his handicap despite not pre registering?

He announced his intention on the first tee to register the round, so it was always going to be put in. It didn't affect his handicap but it is a part of his scoring record. The two hour delay that was forced on him is, IMO, a good thing. At our club we have had a change in the golf team, and they absolutely haven't got to grips with any way of registering rounds prior to playing at the moment- so to me the app is a godsend. My concern is that this local situation means some people will just put a card in the box if it is a poor round to raise their handicap ahead of comps restarting in May. My group are registering all rounds at moment, but i think it will be to our overall detriment. I have already resigned myself to the fact that i will be playing for my handicap, not prizes, when comps resume till it settles. I don't think many other members at all will submit cards in April.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Entered a supplementary score on howdidido yesterday.. selected yellow tees. It is almost immediately added to the EG golf app and by this morning was confirmed as a qualifying score against my handicap. How bluddy cool is that!!!!!!? Awesome ??

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just received an email from my club advising that scores entered via the EG app will not be accepted ?. A local meeting of county bods highlighted a range of problems and it has scared them off for the time being.

A shame as the system so well laid out by @Canfordhacker looks so good. Hopefully it will just be temporary and they will look again as the season progresses.

Shocking behaviour. Not embracing new technology. Fuddy duddys.

ianh.90

Visit site
Hoping to potentially ask a stupid q, as I am not fully clued up on WHS as I probably would like to be.

I submitted a 9 hole score last night through how did I do which is automatically picked up by Scottish Golf, pre registered submitted my score of 40. Now having a look on SG this morning my adjusted score is 84. How is this figure calculated as I have tried to find some info and I am struggling to understand in my simplistic mind. Is it due to the fact, although we registered for 9 they have to account for a potential poor back 9 (its only a 9 hole course), which to be fair my norm is around a 43ish so was a good round for myself?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hoping to potentially ask a stupid q, as I am not fully clued up on WHS as I probably would like to be.

I submitted a 9 hole score last night through how did I do which is automatically picked up by Scottish Golf, pre registered submitted my score of 40. Now having a look on SG this morning my adjusted score is 84. How is this figure calculated as I have tried to find some info and I am struggling to understand in my simplistic mind. Is it due to the fact, although we registered for 9 they have to account for a potential poor back 9 (its only a 9 hole course), which to be fair my norm is around a 43ish so was a good round for myself?

As per abjectplop

If you want to read the whole lot re 9 hole scores the reference is Rule 5.1b of

https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/WHSDocs/WHS-Rules-of-Handicapping.pdf

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
OK, this may have been addressed previously, but there is a lot to read here.

Medal, Saturday, off the blue markers (back tees). Greens pretty rapid, some tough pin positions. A guy I played with today had a tough time.

Today, he puts in a supplementary score. Off the blue tees, so same allowance. Greens slower, pins easier. But.... the big difference, the blue tees were further forward than the white blocks.

Now according to the chart, handicap allowance is the same off whites or blues, despite 600 yards difference in course length. So he played a minimum of 800 yards shorter than Saturday.

He hit 81 net 67, off an allowance of 14 off blues. This seems crazy to me.

Is there some other equation that comes in, or is this the same as playing off the blue stones, despite that not being so?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, this may have been addressed previously, but there is a lot to read here.

Medal, Saturday, off the blue markers (back tees). Greens pretty rapid, some tough pin positions. A guy I played with today had a tough time.

Today, he puts in a supplementary score. Off the blue tees, so same allowance. Greens slower, pins easier. But.... the big difference, the blue tees were further forward than the white blocks.

Now according to the chart, handicap allowance is the same off whites or blues, despite 600 yards difference in course length. So he played a minimum of 800 yards shorter than Saturday.

He hit 81 net 67, off an allowance of 14 off blues. This seems crazy to me.

Is there some other equation that comes in, or is this the same as playing off the blue stones, despite that not being so?

https://www.bigga.org.uk/news-listing/world-handicap-system-impact-greenkeepers.html

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fine, but none of that applies here.

My course always, without fail, puts out the three tee markers every day, that are way shorter than the measured course. Some of the tees are 80 yards off where they should be.
If they are within the 100 yards then they are fine , but over they are not . From the scenario you described any scores submitted for casual play should not count

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It sounds like your Committee / Green Staff are not acting as they should be then. So, if any there is any weaknesses here, it is not WHS. It is your club committee / green staff.

Why do they change the blue tee markers so significantly?

Because the older members don't want to play off the back (blue)tees, but don't want to play off the whites, as it's demeaning.