Winter tees

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does your course have separate winter tees ?

If so what size are they and what condition would you expect them to be in ?

We have some winter tees on the main tees, some are separate and others are just a cut bit of fairway ahead of the tee. Recently we just got a couple of movable tees with an astroturf type material in them. They are really good, just need to get brushed to keep loose grass off them.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most places i've played tend to have proper astrofurf mats. Much prefer that to playing off of a cut bit of fairway. Normally they are in decent condition.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have some right next to the main tee area, some between that and the fairway, but also a couple in-between the yellow and the white tee.

They are all in varying conditions of "not good enough"ness apart from the one on the 18th which isn't a mat or just a bit of mown grass. In fact, I don't actually know what it's made of. It's pretty much full on synthetic grass. No problems getting a tee into in and it never seems to be frozen. Just wish they could do the rest of them like that one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played a couple of weeks ago at our course. All 18 tees had been moved forward between 10-25yds from the standard tee boxes, which are always well looked after. The winter tees were just on the fairway and were frankly a bit rubbish. If they are going to do this every year, and I understand why, then they do need to make it a little smarter than just sticking yellow tee box markers 20yds up the fairway.

Winter time is not the period to judge a course but if I was a visitor I would not return after seeing the set up we had.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That set up is really not uncommon.

In winter if the designated area is not in good condition j will just tee off at the nearest spot that takes my fancy.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have 4 holes with separate winter teeing areas (tees) and the 2 short par 3's have properly set up artificial tees - one near the existing tee and the other providing a completely different aspect for the winter!

For the other 12 holes we continue to use the normal yellow tees.

Basically it works really well.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We play off proper tees on 17 or 18 holes all the time. Most have been specially built during the winter for winter use. There's always some major work being done in the winter when there's not as much cutting etc. to do.

I'd hate to play off artificial or forward tees. It's all very well saying "it's only for the winter" but the winter can last from October to March. Couldn't stand playing on a substandard course all that time.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

We have some winter tees on the main tees, some are separate and others are just a cut bit of fairway ahead of the tee. Recently we just got a couple of movable tees with an astroturf type material in them. They are really good, just need to get brushed to keep loose grass off them.

spookily my course has the same as you:D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yep and but a few are winter tee's. we use a mixture of ladies tee's yellow's and separate ones that are just for winter and make the holes a whole shot shorter.

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
We have 5 winter tees which are on the 4 par 3 & 1 on the par 4th. They are not you usual astro grass mats, but good quality as you can put a tee in to them or do what I do brush the grass with your shoe to get the fibres standing up and hit of the deck

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We only have red tees and play from them all year round. Often the Yellows are moved forward so they are just a yard behind the reds. We do however have one hole where all the tees are moved forward about 70 yards, no idea why.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What i forgot to add earlier is that on the 17th the winter tee is further back than the medal tee :confused:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have

11 which are more or less the same as the summer box tees
5 which are on different winter tees (2 harder, 3 easier)
and
2 which are on sites adjacent to the summer tees.

We play off mats on the fairway through the depths of winter so many of us choose to play off the mat on the tee as well for consistency.

Don't recall ever playing to a winter green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have fairly generous sized tee boxes and the markers get moved around regularly and they tend to make the tee area quite small each time unless its a comp. Seems to work OK as the tees are in good nick

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Some are moved forward to the yellow teeing area, some holes have multiple tee banks so we use 1 for the winter saving the other 2 and then those 2 will come back into play whilst the 3rd recovers. Majority of the white areas are protected over winter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All 6 of our par 3's have a range mat dumped on the normal teeing ground...the idea is to protect the main tee area. But you still have to walk over the tee box to get to it so, although it stops the divots, it doesn't really protect the tee. There is plenty of room either side or just in front to prepare an area to have the mat on but this simple action seems to be beyond the club even tho GH it has been suggested numerous times.
All other holes we play off the normal tee except 1 par 4 where, to protect the teebox, there is a mat - dumped on the far side of the tee............