Winter handicapping.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
If the majority of your roll-up put a card in each time they played, then presumably everyone would have the 'right' handicap....Or you could make it a precondition of entering into your roll-up? (or, the pot-winner would have to come from someone who's put his/her card into WHS). Within a few weeks everyone should be on their correct handicap

I think the problem at the OP’s and certainly at ours is that with the course shortened so much and winter rules being inforced the scores do not qualify and cannot be submitted for handicap.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What Ever the normal length of the course is. Less 1000 yards of the course reduction. If the reduction is 15%. Reduce all handicaps by 15%.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
How about... any winning score score under 36 points gets cut 2 shots for three games. 2nd place gets cuts one shot. For every two points above 36, the cut is increased by 1 shot. Consecutive prizes result in concurrent reductions. So anyone on a streak gets increasing cuts. Does mean someone in the group needs to keep 'a list '

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
How about... any winning score score under 36 points gets cut 2 shots for three games. 2nd place gets cuts one shot. For every two points above 36, the cut is increased by 1 shot. Consecutive prizes result in concurrent reductions. So anyone on a streak gets increasing cuts. Does mean someone in the group needs to keep 'a list '

We do the two shot reduction for the winner on our Saturday Swindle group, nothing official though, just mates rocking up for a game. It does seem to spread it around a bit although the runner up with 47 points the other week was gutted.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I presume this will problem year on year and the realistic answer to this problem is to put pressure on the club to get the course measured for a winter course and only use mats where they are allowed to so still have the course allowable for handicaps.

Not related to course length but related to swindles we use a system similar to others whereby winners get penalised for 1 or 2 weeks for winning with bigger penalties for exceptional scores.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I presume this will problem year on year and the realistic answer to this problem is to put pressure on the club to get the course measured for a winter course and only use mats where they are allowed to so still have the course allowable for handicaps.

Not related to course length but related to swindles we use a system similar to others whereby winners get penalised for 1 or 2 weeks for winning with bigger penalties for exceptional scores.
i can't see the club moving away from the way the course is set up in winter, it's more about getting it ready for the season rather than playing qualifying comps in winter.
At the moment the club won't even countainence running any non qualifying comps. We do play on a measured course, but the use of mats on all parts apart from the rough isn't going to change as due to the milder winters in the last few years more and more are playing the first cut was getting destroyed. Also we don't play individual comps that often most of the time it's team scores.. it wasn't an issue in prev years, its been pretty even scoring. But coupled with the club emplying a rough cutter across the whole course, completely eradicating any tough over winter, which is an attempt to get rid of AMG and make it more whisky in summer. The course was also shortened further with 7th being a par 4, 8,9 and 17 being par 3s...the bigger factor though was we had a winter card with the si changed. It's prob a a number of factors this year, easy short course, no rough and on the whole the majority playing having higher handicaps under WHS as it's basically mostly older guys. Previous years I don't think there was anyone over an 18 handicap. It's also coming to light that all the si are to be adjusted in the near future.
Look like there isn't an easy solution. The trouble with going to the 3/4 handicap reduction being discussed only hurts the higher guys, we have half a dozen scratch players who would get no reduction.
Worth an ask anyway?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We do the two shot reduction for the winner on our Saturday Swindle group, nothing official though, just mates rocking up for a game. It does seem to spread it around a bit although the runner up with 47 points the other week was gutted.
Nairn Dunbar run lots of NQ comps and they use 3/4 with reductions scores under handicap or at least they were when I was a member. Trouble is most of our games are team scores.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Our swindle doesn't do anything different for winter, but using some Excel jiggery pokery, we calculate a standard scratch for the day (average of top 80% scores, we exclude the really bad ones). Players lose half a shot for every point better than the standard scratch. Anyone lower than the standard scratch but within two, makes buffer, and anyone lower that that gets half a shot back. One high handicap lost 7 shots last weekend :ROFLMAO:. The spreadsheet is maintained within the swindle and rolls through the year.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's 1,000 yards shorter for everyone. You feel guilty about getting extra shots but so is everyone else... as long as the allocation is equitable it doesn't matter does it?
Actually, it benefits higher handicappers. There are 1000 less yards for them to hit generally poorer shots than low handicap players. If, as an academic exercise, a Slope was to be officially measured on the winter course, then I've no doubt the Slope would be a lot lower than the current Slope. If this was applied to Indices, obviously higher handicappers would lose more shots.