A question about winter tees and tee markers

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Just after opinions but other than well drained links courses, does anyone actually want their golf to be qualifying on a muddy winter course?

Jason.H

Visit site
Just after opinions but other than well drained links courses, does anyone actually want their golf to be qualifying on a muddy winter course?

We are non qualifying November to March and to be honest I don’t mind. We still have our scheduled comps every weekend and that’s just fine.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We are non qualifying November to March and to be honest I don’t mind. We still have our scheduled comps every weekend and that’s just fine.
Yep same here. The only disadvantage is when someone has a real purple patch over the winter and their handicap doesn’t move.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep same here. The only disadvantage is when someone has a real purple patch over the winter and their handicap doesn’t move.
Or they are getting older or their ability is otherwise declining and their handicap doesn't move. So they start the 'season' with too high a handicap. WHS is not a seasonal system but does allow for season based adjustments (eg PLs). It often isn't recognised that if handicaps are supposed to reflect ability, then they must be able to go up as well as down in order for everyone to have an equal chance.
Why does there need to be a seasonal 'shutdown' when there is provision for 'on the day course' conditions suspension?

Jason.H

Visit site
Our club uses winter mats. Last year the committee had a lot of complaints that people were using their matts off the fairways therefore gaining an advantage. To be fair you can’t make out where the cut is. So this year rather than reiterate the correct rules they decided to non qualify this winter. And we use matts everywhere except extreme rough. All bunkers are gur also. To me the course is a lot easier but then it’s the same for everyone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club uses winter mats. Last year the committee had a lot of complaints that people were using their matts off the fairways therefore gaining an advantage. To be fair you can’t make out where the cut is. So this year rather than reiterate the correct rules they decided to non qualify this winter. And we use matts everywhere except extreme rough. All bunkers are gur also. To me the course is a lot easier but then it’s the same for everyone.
I am discussing this issue with my H&C committee at the moment. Given that fairway mats are intended to protect a 'quality' surface and not provide a better lie (that's what preferred lies are for) why should the rough be 'protected'? Rough is is what it is - rough.

Jason.H

Visit site
I think because of the type of grass and especially during the winter it’s almost impossible to determine the fairway. During the summer when it’s mown nicely it’s very obvious.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes. My course gets very boggy in the winter. But, it doesn't seem to stop good scores coming in. If scores are not allowed in the winter, it gets a bit tedious when a player runs into form, gets several good scores over the 4 or 5 months without any cuts, and you just have to accept they'll clean up for the rest of the winter, and maybe the first few comps in the upcoming normal season. Usually I find there are a handful of players that fit this category each year (in the years were non-qualifiers have been the norm)