Winter handicapping.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The roll up group I'm in are discussing ways to adjust handicaps over winter. The course at the moment is almost 1000 yards shorter over winter with 3 of the 4 hardest si are way shorter, for instance si 2 and 4 are at least 70 yards shorter off the tee. There is little or no rough at the moment and some of the greenside bunkers are GUI after being newly reveted. It wasn't an issue before WHS. But therecare now a few who's handicap have increased a fair bit in that they now get 2 shots on 3 of the easiest holes onnthe course. Even myself feel a bit guilty of getting a shot on the, 5th and 3rds as they are a drive and a chip.

Any suggestions?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Of say ’the pot’ is split say 2/3 and 1/3 the winner is docked 2 shots and 2nd 1 shot. You then agree for how long the deduction stands. The easiest option at the end of January is for the shots to be docked throughout Winter

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play to official handicaps, some may get a benefit in winter as they stop the ball quicker on greens, shorter holes as you mention etc but that's just rub of the green.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The roll up group I'm in are discussing ways to adjust handicaps over winter. The course at the moment is almost 1000 yards shorter over winter with 3 of the 4 hardest si are way shorter, for instance si 2 and 4 are at least 70 yards shorter off the tee. There is little or no rough at the moment and some of the greenside bunkers are GUI after being newly reveted. It wasn't an issue before WHS. But therecare now a few who's handicap have increased a fair bit in that they now get 2 shots on 3 of the easiest holes onnthe course. Even myself feel a bit guilty of getting a shot on the, 5th and 3rds as they are a drive and a chip.

Any suggestions?
Why wasn't an issue before WHS?

But I bet it is the low cappers who have complained.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If its a roll up group, you could look at what we do. We cut the winner two shots for the next three roll up games they play (so the next three Saturdays they play in our group) and second place gets cut one shot for the same three week period. We have found it has shared the money around much more. If someone wins during their cut weeks they get cut a further one or two shots to run concurrently

sunshine

Visit site
It's 1,000 yards shorter for everyone. You feel guilty about getting extra shots but so is everyone else... as long as the allocation is equitable it doesn't matter does it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
1. Decide how many shots the reduction in length has benefited scratch players - subtract that from current CR to get 'New CR'
2. Decide how much reduction in length has benefited 18-20 capper
3. Adjust 'slope' so that a CH calc for the 18-20 capper = Old CH minus value from '2' to get 'New Slope'
You've now got the essential details for the 'new' course.
Use 'New CR' and and 'New Slope' as temporary values for usual calculation - as nobody's HI has changed.

Oh and tell the low cappers to stop whingeing!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's 1,000 yards shorter for everyone. You feel guilty about getting extra shots but so is everyone else... as long as the allocation is equitable it doesn't matter does it?
not really, but a few of the guys who get two shots on 4 and 5 holes have raised the issue. We have thought of 3/4, but we already do that for team scores if you are a 4 ball, compared to 3 ball team. Just thought id ask if anyone else has anything like this difference in course over winter.

AliMc

Visit site
Good on them, but I think that would be an exception rather than the norm.
Played with Alex and Richard yesterday Ken, me 5, Alex 6 and Richard 8, Alex decided not to take his shot which was nice of him as he knocked it round the 17 holes in 65 and won the money anyway
Note: the 11th was not being played due to the work to install the new irrigation system

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
OP sounds very much like our place, along with people new to the game improving and scores non qualifying due to the shortened course there are some really high scores being posted in the Sunday Winter League Series.
We were discussing it after playing on Saturday, some lads saying they would have to shoot eight under par gross over nine holes to be anywhere near.
We sort of come up with the idea, due to the course not qualifying and nothing being official as such, that a winter card could be the way forward just changing around the stroke index order.

evemccc

Visit site
If the majority of your roll-up put a card in each time they played, then presumably everyone would have the 'right' handicap....Or you could make it a precondition of entering into your roll-up? (or, the pot-winner would have to come from someone who's put his/her card into WHS). Within a few weeks everyone should be on their correct handicap