Winter golf....absolutely pointless...tell me otherwise.

D

Deleted member 1740

The choice of course is important in the winter, id rather travel and pay a few quid to play somewhere decent than play a soaked parkland.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well, rocked up yesterday. Not too bad apart from the heavy drizzle on the last four holes. Shot my lowest ever gross score at Royal Ascot without playing great. Scrambled superbly and so I have to say in current conditions it's worth it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, rocked up yesterday. Not too bad apart from the heavy drizzle on the last four holes. Shot my lowest ever gross score at Royal Ascot without playing great. Scrambled superbly and so I have to say in current conditions it's worth it.

How did you get on at the first Homer?

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Frozen greens today, like trying to stop the ball on an upturned glass basin! Nice and sunny though and a lovely morning, 40 points shooting 81 on a par 67 so worth going out.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go to the course, hit ball until it is in the hole. Or don't.

If you enjoy it, do it. If you don't, dont.

Simples. But absolutely no point moaning one way or the other.
I don't see why discussing why you like winter golf or otherwise on a golf forum should be an issue.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Anyway, as the OP, I absolutely loved my game on Saturday, beautiful crisp morning, full greens except #3, played pretty decent.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Must be those lessons that you had :)

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
100% pointless but then you have some great #WinterSeries events on decent courses for very little money with big prizes over regular club comps 👏👏👏

So range today ready for 2moro

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Because a day after seeing a group of brass monkeys on our 18th hole for our Drive-In, yesterday it was lovely, no wind, around mid 50 degrees and I shot -2 gross to win the roll-up by a mile. :D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyway, as the OP, I absolutely loved my game on Saturday, beautiful crisp morning, full greens except #3, played pretty decent.

So is the lesson to learn "play when you feel that the course/weather is ok, don't play if you don't fancy it"?

No harm in that, but to put the clubs away for 5 months because it turns to November 1st, isn't going to improve your game, and you can miss out on so much golf, IMO.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm just no in to winter greens and forward tees. Once we go on winters fully I think I'll gain more by going to the strip, and we're lucky as our practise area is pretty good.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So is the lesson to learn "play when you feel that the course/weather is ok, don't play if you don't fancy it"?

No harm in that, but to put the clubs away for 5 months because it turns to November 1st, isn't going to improve your game, and you can miss out on so much golf, IMO.

Agree with this. What I would add is that sometimes a break can be good, if we've gone stale. A break (maybe not 5 months though) can give a fresh hunger for the game

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Day off and played nine holes of virtual millionaires golf. All good with life until the heavens opened with no warning on the 7th. Still worth getting out and the greens were in fantastic order for the time of year

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a really well run Sunday morning winter eclectic combined with a blind pairs draw done in the bar afterwards. The eclectic gives you focus on the course and the blind pairs draw is always good craic in the bar afterwards. It's just for fun and that's how it should be.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm just no in to winter greens and forward tees. Once we go on winters fully I think I'll gain more by going to the strip, and we're lucky as our practise area is pretty good.

We are still on full course until next Monday, at which point we go on fairway mats and winter forward tee's on some holes along with 17 going from a 370 yard par 4 to 175 par 3.

of course its annoying,but its to protect the course during months where there is little or no growth, which lasts 3/4 months. We don't take it that seriously and its just a walk and the chance to get out and have a laugh with mates and keep the swing going. its a links course so dry on the whole and when its frozen solid it can be a hoot watching the ball go miles and bounce all over the place.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have fond memories of Nairn GC and all the others in the area from whence I were a lad, loved all the courses round there, Royal Tarlair, Hopeman, Lossie, Cullen, Banff, happy memories, none of which were in the depth of Winter mind :D