Winter golf....absolutely pointless...tell me otherwise.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Proper winter conditions as I teed off at 8am with clear blue skies and a 2 club cold cutting wind.

Full course on full greens, a little soft on the front aprons due to a lot of rain in the night but not a puddle in sight.

Course played extremely long due to the conditions and I was only 1 over handicap on the turn but 3 down 😳. Then my opponent played to level par on the back 9 off 12 and even though I parred 12 & 13, I then lost 5&4 and shook hands on the 14th 😳

I can’t blame the winter conditions, although it’s obviously a bit easier going for a green in reg with a 6i with a second shot than a 4i 😟 and his long game was very good today.

He finished with a gross 77 (nett 65) his first sub 80 so he was chufffed. I was content with my nett 74 in those conditions but was no match for my oponent who chose to have his best day ever against me today.

Winter conditions are and can be very tough but still enjoyable to play in, but if you don’t play well then there an easy excuse to blame for a poor round

Today the bandit got bandito’d 😜

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Proper winter conditions as I teed off at 8am with clear blue skies and a 2 club cold cutting wind.

Full course on full greens, a little soft on the front aprons due to a lot of rain in the night but not a puddle in sight.

Course played extremely long due to the conditions and I was only 1 over handicap on the turn but 3 down 😳. Then my opponent played to level par on the back 9 off 12 and even though I parred 12 & 13, I then lost 5&4 and shook hands on the 14th 😳

I can’t blame the winter conditions, although it’s obviously a bit easier going for a green in reg with a 6i with a second shot than a 4i 😟 and his long game was very good today.

He finished with a gross 77 (nett 65) his first sub 80 so he was chufffed. I was content with my nett 74 in those conditions but was no match for my oponent who chose to have his best day ever against me today.

Winter conditions are and can be very tough but still enjoyable to play in, but if you don’t play well then there an easy excuse to blame for a poor round

Today the bandit got bandito’d 😜

What a gubbing but fair play to you for telling us about it, many would have said nothing :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Winter golf at its best today. After playing both courses at Ballyliffin yesterday I wasn't in a great hurry to return to my wet parkland course. I stood outside this morning and felt a real bite in the air. I put thoughts of playing to the back of my mind.

An hour or two later I check my whatsapp at there is a litany of messages discussing our home club being closed and decisions being made to meet at our local links about 20 minutes away. North west golf club just outside buncrana. We were one the last groups heading out with enough light to make it round.

Biting wind on the first but off we went. The weather gave us everything. Wind, splash of rain, a hail shower then plenty of sun drenched holes that showed me the course in a light I'd never seen before. Its a relatively flat course but many bumps and hallows along the way. the shadows cast were absolutely stunning. Pity the camera on my phone could not capture the beauty before my eyes. Only got one nice picture.

The course itself was immaculate and greens as good as any I've played on this year. A credit to the hardworking ground staff. We play there regularly over winter for some respite from the heavy parkland conditions of our home club. It is never easy to score there as it is tight and the wind is ever present. Strangely today it was the complete opposite direction to what it normally is. Nice to play these holes in a complete different wind.

Course was packed too so there was plenty of other golfers put enjoying themselves in the winter sun/rain/hail.

33 points to go with 35 &37 yesterday is a tidy little return for someone not hitting the ball that well and a new driver in the bag that is neigh on uncontrollable (new shaft required)

Here is a video of the course for those that's never heard of it. a true hidden gem. Can be played for very cheap on golfnow deals.

[video=youtube;KzQxj3cJkvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQxj3cJkvI[/video]

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What a gubbing but fair play to you for telling us about it, many would have said nothing :thup:

It was a gubbing but I played to buffer and in those conditions I had to be pleased, did I throw some shots away and could have been closer, hell yeah, but sometimes you come up against someone having a purple day, and I’d have had to of found another 8 shots to beat him 😳

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was a gubbing but I played to buffer and in those conditions I had to be pleased, did I throw some shots away and could have been closer, hell yeah, but sometimes you come up against someone having a purple day, and I’d have had to of found another 8 shots to beat him 

Seems you enjoyed it and that's what it's all about.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Winter golf at its best today. After playing both courses at Ballyliffin yesterday I wasn't in a great hurry to return to my wet parkland course. I stood outside this morning and felt a real bite in the air. I put thoughts of playing to the back of my mind.

An hour or two later I check my whatsapp at there is a litany of messages discussing our home club being closed and decisions being made to meet at our local links about 20 minutes away. North west golf club just outside buncrana. We were one the last groups heading out with enough light to make it round.

Biting wind on the first but off we went. The weather gave us everything. Wind, splash of rain, a hail shower then plenty of sun drenched holes that showed me the course in a light I'd never seen before. Its a relatively flat course but many bumps and hallows along the way. the shadows cast were absolutely stunning. Pity the camera on my phone could not capture the beauty before my eyes. Only got one nice picture.

The course itself was immaculate and greens as good as any I've played on this year. A credit to the hardworking ground staff. We play there regularly over winter for some respite from the heavy parkland conditions of our home club. It is never easy to score there as it is tight and the wind is ever present. Strangely today it was the complete opposite direction to what it normally is. Nice to play these holes in a complete different wind.

Course was packed too so there was plenty of other golfers put enjoying themselves in the winter sun/rain/hail.

33 points to go with 35 &37 yesterday is a tidy little return for someone not hitting the ball that well and a new driver in the bag that is neigh on uncontrollable (new shaft required)

Here is a video of the course for those that's never heard of it. a true hidden gem. Can be played for very cheap on golfnow deals.

Looks a lovely course, in a stunning part of the world

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go to the course, hit ball until it is in the hole. Or don't.

If you enjoy it, do it. If you don't, dont.

Simples. But absolutely no point moaning one way or the other.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Nice hole, that.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Looks a great place to play nice video, Have you ever played at Rathmullen? We were impounded there a few years ago and the Garda wouldn't let us farther than 1/4 miles radius of the pier, they relented after 24 hours and we got someone to run us out to Rathmullen golf club a 9 holer, after the round knocked on a house on the course I think ,and asked if we could phone a Taxi the wife wouldn't hear of it and shouted to her son to get of his arse and run the boys back.

Lucky enough there was a pub at the end of the pier we had 3 great nights ,remember asking the barman when does the bar shut, October he said was March at the time :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never been up to rathmullan. There is quite a few wee links courses I haven't discovered yet. will be picking them off over time.

Here is a video from that 11th tee today. The camera doesn't do justice what the eye could see. for a 5 hole stretch on the back 9 as the sum went down it was absolutely delightful. Every little bump casting a shadow. Magical.

Oh, birdied that hole too. :)

[video=youtube;04iLlPkJmno]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04iLlPkJmno[/video]

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the end of every season I am full of good intentions of playing through the winter, maintaining my swing and keeping my short game sharp.
The first round I play where it is pouring down with rain, blowing a gale, so cold I can't feel my hands or feet, up to my ankles in mud and on temporary greens I realise it's dreadful and I just don't want to be there.
The end result is that I don't bother playing and my game goes back to square one. All the improvements I have made throughout the season are lost and my game never improves.
I think I need a warm weather training base 😀
I am with the OP on this one. Unless you find a rare fine day, Winter golf is a complete waste of time.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously winter golf is nowhere as nice as in the bettr weather, but at least it gets me out of the house and something to look forward to every day of the previous 5 working days.
I like to take the opportunities to play when they are there, better to play in the crap weather than sit inside wasting away and wishing I was out there.