Winter golf....absolutely pointless...tell me otherwise.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking forward to my golf today- a layer of frost, at least 4 layers of clothing on my top, winter mitts, snood and beanie. Yellow ball for the first time this year

At least there will be no temporary greens.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i tend to play all though winter and barring snow play pretty much twice a week, either at Nairn or Tain. we don't have any comps, so just social, no comps which is ok as i tend to play 20-30 comps though the season. only downside i find is with the constant 4BBB, you forget how to make a score, because if you are out of the hole we just pick up.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I got the golf bug a couple of months ago. Numerous lessons, and several hundred pounds later winter golf is all I have. Day off today, its nice and fresh so i'm going to my nearest for a few holes before another lesson after lunch. I played yesterday as well, winter mats on tees and some holes closed off but I still feel i'm learning more than solely going to the range? Shots on a course are so different.

I'm getting what I can tbh. Currently scouting local clubs to balance convenience and quality to suit my pocket - I want a handicap next year that I can work on :fore:

So, in answer to the question. Not pointless, IMHO. Maybe perhaps the focus changes?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For me, winter golf is integral for anyone hoping to improve. Not sure many can take 4months off and expect to improve consistently or at least as quickly as they’d hope.

As has been mentioned, it’s good for finding your true carries and the social side can’t be ignored either.

Ive played more in the last 2 weeks than the previous 2months due to changing club and finding more like minded to play a round with.

Out in 20 mins and again tomorrow.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We now have a good layer of snow here yet you guys are telling me it's still a good idea.

Is this what its like for you:
badweather2.jpg

edit: For what its worth I had to clean the clubs on Saturday afternoon to remove sun-cream from the grips/shafts etc from the morning round so that it doesn't stain or perish the rubber (its not all fun in the sun)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

From yesterday, Mud upto ankles, mud in the face, bunkers hard, cold strong NW wind, thins hurt, fats go nowhere, plugged lies, balls in leaves.

Loved it, wouldn't have missed it, same again next week for me, yes please.:thup:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter is def here snow up not far from us today, in saying that we were on winter greens on saturday but by 9.30 the course was back to full course so we only played 3 holes on winter greens, course is good for this time of year and you rarely come of covered in mud

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hit my new 9 hole mini links course near me.. just bought a membership for a year

bone dry.. wouldnt even know it had pissed down at the weekend

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Winter is def here snow up not far from us today, in saying that we were on winter greens on saturday but by 9.30 the course was back to full course so we only played 3 holes on winter greens, course is good for this time of year and you rarely come of covered in mud

Scotscraig is usually a good track for the next few months, not what we get up here though as you know.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I probably wouldn't tee off if it was like this but I'd at least try and finish my round if I'd already started...:whistle:

FB_IMG_1510583512579.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well the point is that I enjoy golf regardless of the conditions. And without that I'd have to stay at home and talk to the wife or something. Heaven forfend!

D

Deleted member 15344

Turned up this morning - 0 degrees , sun was shining , playing on the full course - but of a chilly wind but was a lovely morning - if you wait for the perfect day you will hardly ever play in the UK

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly I take it or leave it depending on conditions and if I feel like playing or not. Got plenty of other hobbies to pass the time if i don't feel like playing.

Sounds like from the comments above the only hobby most for you have is golf. So it's either that or nothing.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday at Eaglescliffe in that biting wind and soggy fairways I was doubting my sanity but a run of 4 birdies on the bounce to go 3 up on my brother buoyed my spirits and ended up 2 and 1 winner, been a while since I beat round his own track.

Again questioning my sanity getting up at 7 to be at Seaton Carew for a 9.15 tee time and what a day, dry fairways , super slick greens and sunshine for first couple of hours, chilly but nah bad till the wind got up for the last two holes.

Two pretty much opposite days and if I was local would certainly be looking at SEaton's offer of Winter membership for £250 for 5 months, a cracking deal.

So to the OP , get ya self down to some links, you know you want to ;)