wind

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why is it windy all the time?

I haven’t played golf this year without it being windy. Really doesn’t bring out the best in me either. Especially since getting a driver with more loft, and some g10 irons over the winter which make me hit the ball higher!

I’m playing after work today (gusts of 30+ MPH). I’d hate to be a member of a links course at the moment!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Diet perhaps?

My course is in a wood, so we don't tend to notice the wind as much. What there is though funnels through the trees and always feels like a head wind.

More to the point, why is it so cold? I want to play in a tee shirt, not a fleece and rain jacket like last night.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although I'm only a 28 handicap I have a good technique for hitting a low shot when its windy (i'n not talking about thinning the ball or hitting a wormburner either). Its probly not the correct way to play but it gets me round when its windy.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Tigers stinger is like nothing anyone ever did before, its an innovation in golfing technique. Punch shots used to get you there but you had to club up. But a 2-iron that goes 260 yards, 10 feet off the ground? Wooh!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
haha nice and easy when its breezy was one of Greg Normans favourites, never a truer word spake from the Shark either.

To get close to the flight shape of Tigers stinger isn't too difficult although the distance is out of the question for us folks who wince at the thought of XXX shafts. Try and keep your glove facing the target through impact, buckle the left elbow, and really turn your right hand over to get it drawing back in - you'll see a different ball flight straight away, specially with a wood....sadly this shot can go very wrong very quickly, going way left, or catching it fat. Indeed, if you don't keep it smooth and you don't keep those wrists firm in the back swing its much easier to hit a Stinker than a Stinger.

The shot of Tigers 3-Wood stinger at Augusta last week, when the camera was behind him on the 7th tee, day 2 I think, that was my abiding memory of the masters - the way the ball took off to the right a couple feet of the ground then rose like a plane swinging back into the middle....Wayne Grady sucked the air in as though Tiger had duffed it, I don't think he's ever witnessed it before....the mans playing a different ball game to even his fellow pro's.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played today & the wind was a bloody nightmare. I was quite happy when we got to the 18th tee (pictured below) & didn't have the wind in our faces.

18thteevi5.jpg

Hit a drive that was looking good until an almighty downwind came from nowhere & took my ball into the drink,310 yards away.

Turned round & saw my mate with a big smirk on his face. I forgot we had £50 on the game. (It was all square.I get a bogey,he gets a par,& i'm 50 quid worse off) Why the **** didn't i take a 3-wood......... :mad:

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Found my self in the tree's a lot yesterday, had to play a 6 iron punch shot quite a few times. By the end of the day i was playing it so well, i got confident and started to draw a few of them around tree's too. All i did was choke down the club, put the ball right back in the stance, weight on left foot slightly. May even try this when the wind does get up. It was dead yesterday, was like a summers day!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yidio, you need to look more closely at your scoresaver.
The water's much closer than 300 (270-ish?). you want to be level with the captains bunker or 20 yards on from that, leaving a full pitch in.....
You could be in the drink with a 3 wood in the summer....

Bad luck.....not meaning to tell you "I told you so" about course management. £50 is too much to lose.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im sure it's 335ish from the whites & the ball dropped in about 5 yards shy of safety which is about 300ish.

Usually a nice controlled driver will drop 15 yards shy of the water,it would've done today if it hadn't been for the freak gush of wind! 10 yards to the right & it would've hit the path & bounced onto the green. Oh well. Win some,lose some.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like I said.....have a look at your scoresaver....I'm looking at it now. I recognised the picture (beautiful, by the way!) and remembered the only club I've ever hit there.... :p
are you saying it almost cleared the water? if that's the case, yes it was a HUGE drive!!!! in fact you might have driven the green! :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played at Wycombe Heights High Wycombe today - good name! Blowing a bloody gale all morning. 18th hole is 344yrds from the yellows. Admittedly its downhill but I hit a 3 wood onto the green it gives you some idea how hard the wind was blowing. Another downwind par 3 171yrds an 8 iron went through!! But a 150 odd yarder and 5 wood didn't make it.
can't wait for it to quieten down a bit.....

By the way onto a previous thread about the screen size, I had a half screen until just now. Its a full screen now. Has someone changed something or have i just pressed the wrong button (technophobe!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm sure there isn't a hole at Royal Ascot at the moment that actually plays downwind. It feels like everything is either into the teeth of a gale or you are fighting huge cross winds. Even on the practice ground it is wind against and left to right.

Still the nughts are long enough to get a nine in after work now so that can only mean once April (and the April showers) has passed we will get the warmer days and evenings. The sun will shine and the wind will drop and we will all start complaining about sunburn

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get yourslef to the coast lovely boy.

I had the enormous good fortune to play 4 proper links courses in a row last October and it has done me so so much good!

Better than a course of lessons.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
By the way onto a previous thread about the screen size, I had a half screen until just now. Its a full screen now. Has someone changed something or have i just pressed the wrong button (technophobe!)

No, it's the image that Yidio posted. You need to reduce the size of the images <u>before</u> you post them in Photobucket, Flikr or whatever you use, just as you do for an email.
The only way I know to control the size if you're just using an image from the web is to copy it to your pc, resize it then post it. (Of course somebody may know a simpler way.)