Wildlife on your course....

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rabbits-a-plenty and squirrels. I have witnessed a Stoat chasing a rabbit around a fairway. A cuckoo can be heard a this time of year. Woodpeckers and kites.
there are fish in the pond but couldn't tell you what they are.
Also quite a few crows that can empty the pockets of your golf bag if you are not careful, I've returned to my bag to find pencils, scorecard holder, handy sized rule book and my car keys spread over the ground. They can even undo a zip enough to get into a pocket.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sparrow Hawks, Buzzards, Red kites and the occasional osprey. Yellow hammers, song thrushes a few different finches and loads of crows.

Rabbits, stoats and weasels. more rabbits.

And though not on the course... but adjacent to 7 holes, Moray firth Dolphins, Porpoises and flocks of Gannets diving for fish.

Over winter all sorts of Geese that winter in the moray firth

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have deer that just sit on the grass and unless you get to close don't move, I was playing with a lady golfer once and as she tee'd of a deer ran across the fairway and her golf ball hit it square on the head, it staggered a bit but once the birdies spinning around its head went it ran off.

Well it would being hit on the full at 75yds :eek:

:smirk:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The common ones:

Crow
Magpie
Grey squirrel (that climb into your bag and nick your fruit)
Seagulls (by the hundreds)
Wood pigeon
Buzzard
Kestrel

Not so common:

Deer
Woodpecker
And I once saw a kingfisher a few years ago.

Buzzard

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have Red Kite, Foxes, Deer, Rabbits, Squirrels and Snakes (adders). I will not venture in certain rough areas mid summer! I screamed like a girl last time i saw one!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Squirrels, the obligatory rabbits, lots of pheasants (good on them as well as nearby you can hear pheasant shoots so our course is a place of sanctuary), occasional owls, a woodpecker near the first tee, deer (seen once but I hope they will come back), occasional swans. Probably lots more as my course is very rural but I just don't know what they are.

D

Deleted member 21258

Rabbits, rabbits and rabbits mainly. Sometimes pheasants.

But do see buzzards fairly often flying above.

Great picture by qwerty, well cool.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
all manor of english wildlife shows up on our track ,from the rabbits to deer ,badgers and foxes squirrels and pheasants. but we have also had wild boar as there is a pack of them loose in the area. we also get the buzzards flying high and loads of kestrels hovering over the rough looking for mice and voles .then of course if you have water on your course you always get mallards and bloody canada geese,[cant they crap in one place and not all over the fairways]
the crows are really nasty buggers as i have seen them attack rabbits and kill them .

nature at times can be very cruel .but also very beautiful .

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've seen a deer at Gainsborough, a weasel or stoat chasing a rabbit at Blankney and a grass snake in the rough at Welton Manor.

Shep

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Our course is normally infested with Canada Geese plus a few Egyptian Geese. They nibble at the fairway grass, but unfortunately not the rough, and leave their dropping everywhere on the short grass. In addition we have a couple of Herons, plenty of small birds, parakeets which escaped from a zoo a few years ago and seem to be thriving, foxes and various small mammals.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A solitary Pheasant appeared this year and was very popular for a couple of months but sadly he got hit by a car on the Dual Carriageway

I'm not sure why, but I lol'd at this. Perhaps it was the Alan Patridge style of delivery :D

Anyway, there's nowt really at our course aside from the usual rabbits and squirrels. Our birds of prey are magpies and crows...

Love playing away from home... and having a look out for any birds of prey though, love watching them just don't see enough to be able to identify them easily enough.

Was great to see the seals up in Scotland, albeit from a distance.

Best thing I think I've seen was at Blairgowrie on a forum meet - out from behind one of the greens popped a new born fawn, barely able to walk properly, with its mother some 10 yards behind it, watching over it very, very carefully!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Geese, bloody geese. Hundreds of the sods. And they push debris out the rear end faster than they shovel food into their gobs. The fairways are awash with it. Time for a cull ...

The egyptian geese are fine though - and few in number (and l still find it odd to see them sometimes perched in a tree!) Foxes, squirrels, rabbits. Mallards, coots and moorhens. Woodpeckers and pretty common now, green parakeets

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anybody ever played at Yelverton?

The one time I played there it was teeming with farm animals. Every fairway was littered with "mines".

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Most golf course all have idyllic settings, some have rivers running through them, nice man made or natural ponds, some run through heavily wooded areas and some unfortunately have none of the above!

So for those that do have a peaceful, tranquil setting other than the swearing disgruntled golfer, what wildlife do you see either consistently or just on that rare occasion?

At Coventry we have many different breeds of Geese and currently the parents are all out walking around the course with their young in tow, also the many breeds of ducks that sit near the water and walk across the fairways from pond to pond or to the river also have their young in tow, we have a lovely pair of Swans at the river in front of our 11th tee and they have built a nest there, I had a Muntjac deer run across in front of me on Friday for the first time, I didn't know we had any deer of any kind at the course, and to be honest, I didn't know what it was at the time.

We have loads of Buzzards soaring and gliding above us but I've not seen or noticed any other kind of bird worth a second look, unfortunately.

So, what great wildlife do you see as you walk around your golf course?

Windermere has a rather large adder that suns itself on a rock.

D

Deleted member 15344

Buzzards
Kites
Woodpeckers
Various other birds
Ducks
Muntjac
Pheasants
Fox
Badger