Why White Socks?

sunshine

Visit site
White socks are simply more golfy, amiright?

White "sports" socks make golf seem more sporty. This helps fat middle aged people justify golf as aerobic exercice as they waddle down the fairway (or sit in buggies in the US).

Well it works for me.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Remember when I was 19 I played with my friend around Stover in South Devon, he was a member I was a visitor.

I was wearing a polo shirt, shorts with pockets on the side but not cargo shorts, came down to the knee, and ankle socks (white) it was about 30c and I wanted to keep as cool as possible.

In the car park an older man comes up to me and literally say "do you know who I am" not in a nice way to introduce himself but dripping with arrogance. "I am the seniors captain, and what you are wearing is inappropriate for this course, you cannot wear rugby shirt (I wasn't), cargo shorts (I wasn't) or trainer socks. I just ignored him as I had already paid by green fee to the pro. On about the 3rd me and my friend caught up their group which was a fourball. They didn't call us through, so my friend asked if we could play through "no, we are playing an important seniors fourball match, and we are not allowed to let anyone through"

It just summed up everything that is wrong with golf, where shitty attitudes, backwards thinking and poor on course etiquette take a back seat to archaic rules on what you can wear

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
All dress codes are irrational to varying degrees.

If it doesn't suit, don't play there. Giving them your hard earned money isn't compulsory. You have the right to refuse.

I played somewhere today with lots of rules. That's their business. I'd go back tomorrow too!

we all know that they can, the question is why. There's no logical reason

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
, the question is why. There's no logical reason

Why? Dress codes stem from a time where there was more formality around what was worn and when. Actually "appropriate dress" has evolved since the dawn of time. Unless you head to the pub in "doublet and hose" in your town!! Some of the old gits on here have even abandoned their punk/mod/metal outfits! :ROFLMAO:

These things evolve over time, different places evolve at different speeds. (deliberately or otherwise) No one plays golf in tweed jackets anymore etc etc...fashions and conventions change.

We all "confirm" for some form of dress code from time to time whether consciously or not. Job interviews, funerals, replica footy shirts! :)

No idea how old you are, but a bad experience in Devon when you were 19, is indicative of some old golfers, but not all of them. Every place has its plonkers! Some clubs are very "old school" some are anything but... generalisations are rarely indicative.

This week I was a two courses that share a boundary fence, but culturally could not be further apart. Both were great courses. Both were fun to visit. Both aim at different markets. Sometimes diversity of experience makes it more enjoyable, if not entirely rational!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Why? Dress codes stem from a time where there was more formality around what was worn and when. Actually "appropriate dress" has evolved since the dawn of time. Unless you head to the pub in "doublet and hose" in your town!! Some of the old gits on here have even abandoned their punk/mod/metal outfits! :ROFLMAO:

These things evolve over time, different places evolve at different speeds. (deliberately or otherwise) No one plays golf in tweed jackets anymore etc etc...fashions and conventions change.

We all "confirm" for some form of dress code from time to time whether consciously or not. Job interviews, funerals, replica footy shirts! :)

No idea how old you are, but a bad experience in Devon when you were 19, is indicative of some old golfers, but not all of them. Every place has its plonkers! Some clubs are very "old school" some are anything but... generalisations are rarely indicative.

This week I was a two courses that share a boundary fence, but culturally could not be further apart. Both were great courses. Both were fun to visit. Both aim at different markets. Sometimes diversity of experience makes it more enjoyable, if not entirely rational!

I agree with that, but does seem that golf is lagging behind pretty much every other area of evolution in that terms

Of course every club has its plonkers and wouldn't say that old git was indictive of every older member. But his attitude rang true with the way a lot of golf clubs operate, or how golf as a sport is viewed as a hole. A lot of rules and traditions that seemed to have straight out of the 19th century.

There's no way yo get all clubs to agree to stop being so pedantic and old fashioned, it just boggles the mind that a lot of places are so detached from modern life. Of course it is up to them how they want to act and behave, I just cannot work out why anyone would want to be a stuffy old git, wearing uncomfortable clothes because that's the way it has always been done

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I just cannot work out why anyone would want to be a stuffy old git, wearing uncomfortable clothes because that's the way it has always been done

I am not sure that confirming to a dress code HAS TO BE a) Uncomfortable or b) Stuffy! E.g Long socks with shorts isn't something I would ever wear personally, for golf. (although I do for football! The ref insists on socks up and shin pads. Does that make it stuffy?)

I'd wear a better alternative, eg I have some excellent (very modern) Under Armour Heat Gear Trousers that are very light and offer UV protection too. No sun burn or inspect bites...

Pedantry can come from either side of a viewpoint! ;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
there are levels

like forcing people to wear jacket and tie in the clubhouse, that is stuffy. Most clubs in my experience are now allowing jeans, t shirts and trainers in the clubhouse. But that has only been happening in the last decade or so.