Why do you rarely get golf waterproofs with a hood?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just spitballing this as plenty of showers are predicted for this weekend and it's Club Champs so not playing isn't really an option.

My waterproof jacket is old and a quite baggy so I want to pick up a newer one, I'm just finding it weird that you never seem to see a golf waterproof with a hood. Is it a dress code thing?? Because if so I think it's bit daft to expect golfers to tolerate rain down the back of the neck just for some perceived ideal of smartness. Think I've seen Jason Day and Tony Finau with a hooded one so maybe this was the reason but it's starting to change?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm in e
Just spitballing this as plenty of showers are predicted for this weekend and it's Club Champs so not playing isn't really an option.

My waterproof jacket is old and a quite baggy so I want to pick up a newer one, I'm just finding it weird that you never seem to see a golf waterproof with a hood. Is it a dress code thing?? Because if so I think it's bit daft to expect golfers to tolerate rain down the back of the neck just for some perceived ideal of smartness. Think I've seen Jason Day and Tony Finau with a hooded one so maybe this was the reason but it's starting to change?

I'm in exactly the same position as you at the moment, looking for a decent waterproof jacket and wondering why I can't have a hood with it. You could always put it down for the 30 seconds of the swing if it was restrictive. Was thinking of looking at walking type jackets. Nothing worse than leaning forward and feeling rain running down your neck.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in exactly the same position as you at the moment, looking for a decent waterproof jacket and wondering why I can't have a hood with it. You could always put it down for the 30 seconds of the swing if it was restrictive. Was thinking of looking at walking type jackets. Nothing worse than leaning forward and feeling rain running down your neck.
Yeah, it's so odd in my opinion, like golf decrees if you play in the rain your head must get wet! Haha. I'm going to look at general non-golf specific jackets and hopefully I can find one that's snug but not restrictive. And has a hood!

D

Deleted member 21258

don't know you can get waterproofs with a hood, maybe not golf specific ones.

May be a bit restrictive, with the body moving but not the head??

Very much found the above, when I have worn a normal coat with a hood, the hood is a pain when swinging and can get in the way of seeing the ball.

That said I do tend to turn my head on the backswing and upper body sways which wont help(glasses also tended to catch on the hood, bleeding things:mad:)

I have been known to wear a fishing hat in rain:D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most don't like the idea of the hood flopping about in the wind. Either worry that it will mess up the stroke or simply wont stay up as you walk into the wind.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Apparel manufactures have probably considered it, probably found that for it to be effective in keeping rain out it’s then restrictive during a swing, probably realised that taking it down prior to a swing just gets the players hands wet and means he has to dry them off again. Probably looked online and found rain bucket hats for £2.99 and realised separate rainwear for head/body is probably fine

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparel manufactures have probably considered it, probably found that for it to be effective in keeping rain out it’s then restrictive during a swing, probably realised that taking it down prior to a swing just gets the players hands wet and means he has to dry them off again. Probably looked online and found rain bucket hats for £2.99 and realised separate rainwear for head/body is probably fine
I think bucket hats look a bit ridiculous though. :LOL:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why not?? :unsure:

Would it not be really restrictive?

Just thinking of walking to work this morning with my hood up, couldn't imagine trying to play golf like that. Would need to get custom fit for it to ensure it didn't interfere with my swing or vison