Why do you rarely get golf waterproofs with a hood?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would it not be really restrictive?

Just thinking of walking to work this morning with my hood up, couldn't imagine trying to play golf like that. Would need to get custom fit for it to ensure it didn't interfere with my swing or vison
Honestly, I have no idea. This current waterproof I've had for about a decade doesn't have a hood, so I've never tried to swing with one on. I wouldn't have thought a lightweight hood on a thin waterproof jacket would be very restrictive. As long as it fits well. i.e. if they did put hoods on golf jackets I'm sure they could design it in such a way that it sits comfortably without creasing in around your eyes.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
How do you swing while holding that, have you got three arms??

Its in a holder on my trolley and when i need to take a shot i come out from under it. on the odd time I carry and it rains it Must be a sign of my top quality waterproofs that I dont have a problem with water going down my neck.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Waterproof jackets zip up tight to your neck. They look neat, tidy, there is no hood flapping about in the wind. Speaking to FJ reps recently they want to see people using their gear outside of the golf course and I am not sure a hood fits that jacket look.

For a hood to work it would have to be tight fitting around your face as otherwise your view would be obstructed and if windy the hood would be blown off. The problem you then have is what stops the rain getting into your face and eyes? A cap or bucket hat has peaks to stop the rain getting into your eyes, a hood does not in the form it would need to be.

What happens to the hood when it is not raining but it is cold, windy, or it might rain and you have your jacket on? The hood blows around, it becomes distracting. You can't zip up your jacket as tightly around your neck as the design does not allow for it as well with a hood built on, the shape fights against it.

I understand the question but I think you will be waiting a long while for someone to produce a golf jacket with a hood

D

Deleted member 1147

...because when you swing, your body turns and the jacket turns with it & the hood follows the jacket. As such, if your head stays still the hood will turn and cover your face - I've seen it happen

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Waterproof jackets zip up tight to your neck. They look neat, tidy, there is no hood flapping about in the wind. Speaking to FJ reps recently they want to see people using their gear outside of the golf course and I am not sure a hood fits that jacket look.

For a hood to work it would have to be tight fitting around your face as otherwise your view would be obstructed and if windy the hood would be blown off. The problem you then have is what stops the rain getting into your face and eyes? A cap or bucket hat has peaks to stop the rain getting into your eyes, a hood does not in the form it would need to be.

What happens to the hood when it is not raining but it is cold, windy, or it might rain and you have your jacket on? The hood blows around, it becomes distracting. You can't zip up your jacket as tightly around your neck as the design does not allow for it as well with a hood built on, the shape fights against it.

I understand the question but I think you will be waiting a long while for someone to produce a golf jacket with a hood
I would wear my normal golf cap under the hood, personally.

I understand the reasonings people prefer a jacket with no hood, but people's preferences differ, I'd have thought there was enough golfers who would quite like a hood for it to be worthwhile producing some. But apparently not.

I did see one Nike one that has a hood that folds up and buttons down under the collar. That seems like a reasonable compromise that could work. But it was just the one that I saw on one website (and not in my size either). Alternatively, like you get on a lot of non-golf jackets, hoods can be detachable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most zip up quite high and I simply wear a waterproof cap as I need the peak as a glasses wearer. If rain was forecast to be heavy I'd take a change of clothes and wouldn't be bothered about whether water seeped down my neck. I use a brolly (with dry towel underneath) between shots so it's only taking the shots I've a a problem and even then a small one. Plenty of choice here so check if any of these have hoods

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Waterproofs.html#usestorage

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
...because when you swing, your body turns and the jacket turns with it & the hood follows the jacket. As such, if your head stays still the hood will turn and cover your face - I've seen it happen
I'm not sure mine does.. :ROFLMAO: That's a fair point though. As I said earlier I've not actually tried swinging with a hood. I'll be sure to do a few imaginary swings when I'm trying one on.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm not sure mine does.. :ROFLMAO: That's a fair point though. As I said earlier I've not actually tried swinging with a hood. I'll be sure to do a few imaginary swings when I'm trying one on.
A mate of mine wore a "non-golf" waterproof and it was hammering down with rain, so he put his hood up. Whilst making his backswing you could see the jacket, and the hood with it, rotate with him and his face was covered by the hood. So he shanked it straight into the water :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most zip up quite high and I simply wear a waterproof cap as I need the peak as a glasses wearer. If rain was forecast to be heavy I'd take a change of clothes and wouldn't be bothered about whether water seeped down my neck. I use a brolly (with dry towel underneath) between shots so it's only taking the shots I've a a problem and even then a small one. Plenty of choice here so check if any of these have hoods

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Waterproofs.html#usestorage
Yeah I did look there first, clubhouse is usually my first stop for golf stuff. Not seeing any with hoods is what prompted me to ask the question. :D

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our committee consider hoods to be an artificial aid to the swing in keeping your head still and have banned them under rule 4.3a

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Try swinging with a hood up, it twists round, it's restrictive and looks stupid.

If you're that bothered about wet hair/head don't play in the rain.

I have a cap, I have a bucket hat for when it's not windy and I also have a goretex waterproof cap somewhere. Plenty of options without looking like an anorak!

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The more expensive Galvin green cknit jackets have a rubber collar and the back of the neck which stops any water going down your back.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Try swinging with a hood up, it twists round, it's restrictive and looks stupid.

If you're that bothered about wet hair/head don't play in the rain.

I have a cap, I have a bucket hat for when it's not windy and I also have a goretex waterproof cap somewhere. Plenty of options without looking like an anorak!
LOl when was the last time your hair got wet???:ROFLMAO: