Why do you rarely get golf waterproofs with a hood?

Wolf

Visit site
Rain jacket with a hood on a golf course just wouldn't work because of body function during the swing.

I've got a FJ waterproof bucket hat that does a cracking job, if people don't want to wear one because they think they look stupid I'd simply ask what's more important looking like a knob or keeping dry... Function over appearance everytime for me crap weather.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Rain jacket with a hood on a golf course just wouldn't work because of body function during the swing.

I've got a FJ waterproof bucket hat that does a cracking job, if people don't want to wear one because they think they look stupid I'd simply ask what's more important looking like a knob or keeping dry... Function over appearance everytime for me crap weather.
Deff, i have a GG fishermans type sou'wester, i look a proper knob, but a dry one;)

GolfingPastor

Visit site
Just spitballing this as plenty of showers are predicted for this weekend and it's Club Champs so not playing isn't really an option.

My waterproof jacket is old and a quite baggy so I want to pick up a newer one, I'm just finding it weird that you never seem to see a golf waterproof with a hood. Is it a dress code thing?? Because if so I think it's bit daft to expect golfers to tolerate rain down the back of the neck just for some perceived ideal of smartness. Think I've seen Jason Day and Tony Finau with a hooded one so maybe this was the reason but it's starting to change?

I use a DLX waterproof that has a removable hood. It’s better than any Footjoy, Sunderland or Lindberg waterproof I’ve ever owned, but only problem for me is I’ve lost a bit of weight so it’s now too big in XL

https://www.outdoorlook.co.uk/tresp...MIpuWPmM7S4gIVpbXtCh2JCAqbEAQYBiABEgIcn_D_BwE

sunshine

Visit site
...because when you swing, your body turns and the jacket turns with it & the hood follows the jacket. As such, if your head stays still the hood will turn and cover your face - I've seen it happen

Surprised it took 27 replies before someone arrived at the obvious answer.

When you swing your shoulders rotate, so the shoulders of the jacket will also rotate....

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I understand the obvious reason as to why it doesnt work with a standard hood attachment but surely in todays techy focused world someone could come up with one that works for golf......I think it would sell well

D

Deleted member 15344

Nike had a waterproof jacket with a hood on it that could be folded under the collar - you can’t swing a club with it , too restrictive but it’s there for general wear if needed ( my wife now has the top ) . Plenty of other ways to keep the head dry - cap , bucket hat , umbrella- all does the job and if it’s really that wet then don’t play

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just spitballing this as plenty of showers are predicted for this weekend and it's Club Champs so not playing isn't really an option.

My waterproof jacket is old and a quite baggy so I want to pick up a newer one, I'm just finding it weird that you never seem to see a golf waterproof with a hood. Is it a dress code thing?? Because if so I think it's bit daft to expect golfers to tolerate rain down the back of the neck just for some perceived ideal of smartness. Think I've seen Jason Day and Tony Finau with a hooded one so maybe this was the reason but it's starting to change?

If it’s got a hood it is pretty much poor quality golf wise

Get yourself a decent jacket. Proquip, Sunderland of Scotland or galvin greens

The rain doesn’t get down the back of neck... because you zip the jacket up and it covers that..

Just get a waterproof hat!!!! Like £20 max

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have had my Benross waterproofs for 4 years now and been in some pretty foul weather and not had any rain down my neck so far and have very little hair to divert it 🤣

D

Deleted member 1147

Bucket hats?...if they’re good enough for Reni they’re good enough for me 🥁!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Couple of people have been run over by cars by me because they were wearing hoods.
If you turn your shoulders in swinging the hood must go with the shoulder line.
This restriction dosnt work for golf.

I have seen golfers where a bucket hat would improve their “outfit”.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand the obvious reason as to why it doesnt work with a standard hood attachment but surely in todays techy focused world someone could come up with one that works for golf......I think it would sell well
Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at. We're talking about golf specific wear here. Surely someone could produce a hood that's cut in such a way that it wouldn't obscure the vision when you swing? I dunno. Perhaps they've all looked into it and come up with nothing!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at. We're talking about golf specific wear here. Surely someone could produce a hood that's cut in such a way that it wouldn't obscure the vision when you swing? I dunno. Perhaps they've all looked into it and come up with nothing!
Clear plastic Mac .