Why do we use a glove?

Spikey

Visit site
Forgot my glove one week after changing my bag, and couldn't be bothered to go and fetch a new one, so played without.
I was ready to come off after 9 holes because of the pain from the huge blister that had started to form on the pad of my left hand.
I soldiered on (I have this thing about never walking off), but was then unable to play for a fortnight whilst the heel of my hand healed properly.
Probably more to do with my poor grip and movement of the club in my hand, but I'll never play without again.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get through several gloves every round :mad:

Every time i hoof one into the trees or near to an o.o.b marker, i sign a glove and toss it into the area where the ball is lost.
Having no spectators to hit and save my ball being lost , i do it as an offering to the golfing gods so maybe one day they will take pity and actually leave me with a ball in play.

Stocked up for the winter as direct golf are selling dunlop gloves for 50p each :rofl:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thats ridiculous.

something i learnt on a Footjoy/GM day earlier this year is that the tolerances between the Players Glove and the Footjoy SciFlex is indentical and made from exactly the same leather (pittards).

Save yourself £7 a pop!

Can't stand the feel of synthetic leather. It's like nails down a blackboard to me, so I always have all leather.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grip and the avoidance of blisters for me. In the words of Tom Baker in Blackadder, "You have a womans hands".

I have always bought synthetic ones but have recently bought a leather Bridgestone glove so it will be interesting to see how that fares. I normally wear them out on the bottom of the palm, grip issue, so I am hoping this one lasts a little longer. Ironically the one glove that didn't wear at all there was the Zero Friction one given away via GM but unfortunately it split in about 3 other places so that was the end of that experiment.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Suspect I am heading to the no glove world, almost never use one on the range. On course I tend to put it on when using the longer clubs. Probably not a fixed rule but 8 or 7 iron onward, although more likely to use no the shorter clubs in the cooler weather. Just shows how much of a personal preference thing it is.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sports Direct sell very good Mizuno Bioflex gloves for £4.25. I usually buy a few of them whenever I visit their stores.

General Fade

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have never been able to wear a glove. See them similar driving gloves, no contact, no feel and in the past.

Trying wet weather gloves but struggling with the concept as they need a good soaking apparently to work and that to me beats the object. wet hands, wet glove, cold hands, grip??

The only place that should be wet with golf is in a water hazard or the 19th. Niether needs a glove:D

gregers

Head Pro
Visit site
dont wear 1,
im mostly left handed,but play right handed so i am left hand strong.so if i wear a glove i tend to turn the club over.
i do have quite a few in my bag,just in case i play with someone who needs 1.
and i do have some winter gloves,left and right for when its REALLY cold or wet.

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
I am strongly considering trying without from the Spring on. By Summer time my hands look ridiculous with hugely differing colours.

Only thing putting me off is I don't normally wear one when using the net before a round and it seems to really jar more when I don't catch one right. On the otherside though I guess your feel can only be improved. Worth a go I reckon.