Why do we do it!!!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was at the range last night, chatting with a couple of the lads whilst hitting balls. Ended up hitting one the guys callaway steelhead irons, now, I hit my mizunos well, they arent the easiest to hit, but I usually hit them well. Anyhow, tried the callaways, they arent as pretty as mine, but oh dear, they were too easy to hit, they just went straight, good flight, hit a few, one with a slight mishit and it went the same way, decent flight-straight! it was like I was cheating! Now I have an itch to get some :0
so..... why do we do it, try other sticks,or is it just me!
Secondly, do we make the game harder for ourselves using pretty sticks, instead of ones that are ugly but easier to hit??

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Secondly, do we make the game harder for ourselves using pretty sticks, instead of ones that are ugly but easier to hit??

Many do....but then again some continue to use a driver when they can't control it at all, as well as carrying 4 wedges they are equally capable of skulking at any moment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was at the range last night, chatting with a couple of the lads whilst hitting balls. Ended up hitting one the guys callaway steelhead irons, now, I hit my mizunos well, they arent the easiest to hit, but I usually hit them well. Anyhow, tried the callaways, they arent as pretty as mine, but oh dear, they were too easy to hit, they just went straight, good flight, hit a few, one with a slight mishit and it went the same way, decent flight-straight! it was like I was cheating! Now I have an itch to get some :0
I use Callaway Steelheads, got them a month ago. Still getting used to them at the moment but they are coming good. This Sunday just gone I had a 130-something yards, normally a 9 iron but as I was in the rough and it was freezing I went a club up to 8 iron. Ended up ballooning it 20 yards over the back and onto the next tee! So maybe they're too easy to hit. :lol: Someone like me needs all the help I can get though, whereas playing off 7 you can more afford to pick your irons based on what's pleasing to the eye I'm sure.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

You could make golf easier by playing off the red tees, or only play when conditions are perfect or get a few extra shots on your handicap or get one of those ride on buggies etc etc

But where would be the challenge and the satisfaction when it comes together.

I would get more enjoyment because I've practiced, not because I've bought new clubs.

Some people want to buy clubs that suit their swing. Sadly for some it's a long, expensive and endless journey.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I certainly did. I got to 10 handicap and bought some Mizzys, never hit them as well consistently as my GI irons and then reverted back to the old clubs. Recently I had a Titleist fitting and went for AP1's, I don't intend to go back to hard to hit irons again.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
yep I gues it is true that people can carry 4 wedges, and not know which one to thin! HAHA

Playing off 7 is fine, and yes I can hit my irons well Orikoru, its a strength in my game, but if I went for a more forgiving iron, could my iron play improve even more? I dont know, maybe.. the point I guess is, could I get lower with help for the sticks? i suppose there is one way to find out, but do I want to sacrifice my lovely mizunos? I really dont know!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
yep I gues it is true that people can carry 4 wedges, and not know which one to thin! HAHA

Playing off 7 is fine, and yes I can hit my irons well Orikoru, its a strength in my game, but if I went for a more forgiving iron, could my iron play improve even more? I dont know, maybe.. the point I guess is, could I get lower with help for the sticks? i suppose there is one way to find out, but do I want to sacrifice my lovely mizunos? I really dont know!
You're using JPX 900 Tours (according to your sig), did you ever try the Hot Metal version for a comparison? Still going more down the game improvers route, but less of a drastic switch since they'll still have a similar look to what you're used to?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's a mute point. Some like to look down on a nice thin edge and try to work to get better with them. Others want to score well and are happy to use the equipment to do it. Like in any sport, we all have different abilities, no matter how much we practice. So if I can get the equipment that will help me achieve that then I'll use it. I have the Callaway XR irons that I got fitted for a couple of years ago. They've helped me get my handicap down and won me a few comps. I could have also got the XR Oversize but I just didn't like the look of them from above. Just a bit too clunky so I guess I'm as guilty as the rest.
In putters though, looks matter less to me. Take a look at my putter history and they're not aesthetically pleasing but by gum they worked well.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob, I practice, I hit the range a couple times a week, or head head out to play, I have lessons too, currently have a block of 10 booked for this year, thats not my point, yes I get satisfaction from hitting the ball well, when I get a lovely flight good shape etc, but you know what gives me more pleasure? going low, thats the aim, off competition tees, shooting the lowest number I can on any given day. But maybe I didnt make myself clear, its not about the make and model of things per say, it could be any make or model, I was wondering if its just me who gets itchy feet when trying other clubs, and do people buy things that are aesthetically pleasing over practicality? Chris made a good point about getting to 10, then getting less forgiving clubs, so why do we do it? I dont know the reason, thats why I asked, and should we take all the help we can to shoot lower scores?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Chris made a good point about getting to 10, then getting less forgiving clubs, so why do we do it? I dont know the reason, thats why I asked, and should we take all the help we can to shoot lower scores?

It's a bit like riding a tricycle until you learn how to ride on 2 wheels.
Are 2 wheels easier to ride than 3? maybe not but they are more fun.

Golfing beginners may need help with off centre hits so will use the clunky perimeter weighted shovels.
As they improve and hit the centre more often than not, why would they need the fugly sticks when they can use pretty blades instead.

It's all a matter for the individual.

JT77, get yourself a second hand set of these and see how you feel when you shoot 75 with them. :thup:

6ffd6db113a6dc57757af01c7700d07a--mizuno-golf-stuff.jpg

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was Stateside a couple of weeks back and played Houston Memorial with a buddy and two guys we were teamed up with. The hire clubs were Mizuno JPXs. Now I played pretty well, struck many a good shot, made a few birdies (6 inches from a hole in one) and wiped the floor with the opposition, but I found distance control extremely difficult with the irons and not enjoyable in the least.

If I stand on a tee with my MP54 6 iron I know that a good one goes X, a bad/leaky one goes X - Y and right. I can select the shot accordingly. The JPX 6 iron was as likely to balloon and drop short as air mail the green. In this case it was too much help. Yes they probably do go straighter on miss-hits to be fair, but what good is that when the worst of the trouble is usually over the back or short (whereas there's usually less trouble pin high and sideways).

Plus they looked awful. I kept telling the lads I have MP54s at home. Cos MP54s are sexy. Fact. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob, I practice, I hit the range a couple times a week, or head head out to play, I have lessons too, currently have a block of 10 booked for this year, thats not my point, yes I get satisfaction from hitting the ball well, when I get a lovely flight good shape etc, but you know what gives me more pleasure? going low, thats the aim, off competition tees, shooting the lowest number I can on any given day. But maybe I didnt make myself clear, its not about the make and model of things per say, it could be any make or model, I was wondering if its just me who gets itchy feet when trying other clubs, and do people buy things that are aesthetically pleasing over practicality? Chris made a good point about getting to 10, then getting less forgiving clubs, so why do we do it? I dont know the reason, thats why I asked, and should we take all the help we can to shoot lower scores?
I agree. I'll probably never get there, but if I did ever get to single figures I'd be more inclined to keep using the sticks that got me there rather than suddenly bin them for something that's harder to hit with. I feel like it's a difficult game, I'm always going to want the clubs that make it easiest for me.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
we've all been there and it is very tempting! The key is, what are you after to improve your game? Is it distance, consistency, dispersion????

If you are concerned, have the pro put you on a GC Quad or other such device to see how your current irons are really performing. Then do the same with the ones that you are interested in and see what the differences really are. No point getting high launching irons for example if you normally play on a windy links course.

D

Deleted member 21258

Do it do it, now you have tried it, you will always be wondering, new shinnies at the ready :D

One thing I don't quite get is how far some of the new irons go and that must leave big gaps at the bottom end of the bag and you almost need another set of irons/wedges to fill that gap, probably the main reason I have stuck with my x14s.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob, if I was to shoot 75 with anything, id be happy at present, its been a while!!! I fully get the idea that we should make it easier for ourselves Orikoru, just not convinced yet haha
Hines, I dont need the yards, and if I was to change I would be getting picky as at present, I would say that I am happy with 7/10 shots with my irons, the other 3/10 are usually ok, I dont often hit a shocker, so, if I changed it would to go to 8/10 im happy with, small margins I know. I am also not saying the 7/10 are perfect, but they either give me a chance at birdie or a chance to make a comfortable par/bogey save if im wonky off the tee!!
funny you say that darren, as i thought about that last night, i would probably need 2 gap wedges lol!!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess it's what you want from the club.

A forged blade will be much harder to hit, but if you are consistent in you swing and strike will offer more consistent distance and more feel which a very good player would value (as they can strike consistently anyway).

If you are not as consistent with your swing and want to be able to hit slightly off centre hits as far to improve your experience and the expense of feel and spin then that's great too

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you are not overly into manipulating shots and prefer the high, straight ball, I'd say you should play the most forgiving club possible as long as it does not offend your eye at address. I never really get this sexy iron v ugly iron debate. It's a lump of metal to get round the course in the fewest shots, so if the bigger club gives you more confidence to do it, I would not be giving that up.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you are bombing some 6 irons over the green and other shots with the same club you are leaving shot, may I suggest you over rate how good a ball striker you are.

I have hit jpx900 forged and had no problems with distance control, I had a reasonably tight scatter and would be happy to put in my bag.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Here's how I see the benefits of modern clubs.

Longer, more forgiving clubs will take shots off my round, which for me as a handicap golfer will mean a lower handicap.

From March this year I'll only be playing vintage blades and wooden woods so my scores will be slightly higher which will mean that my handicap will be slightly higher.

Which ever route I go, I'll still be the same golfer, just one with a different handicap.

So it comes down to a simple choice:
1 - Do I play the clubs that will give me the most help and so the lowest handicap?
2 - Do I play the clubs that give me the most satisfaction and enjoyment, even though my scores/handicap might be 2 or 3 shots higher?

If I was playing scratch competition golf it would be 1 all day long.
But as a handicap golfer my handicap will adjust to suit not only my ability but also the equipment I'm using. This means that once my handicap has levelled out I'll have the same chance of winning matches etc. as if I were using the best GI clubs with handicap to suit.

So for me it's a very simple choice, I'll play the clubs I enjoy playing. I'll still be the same golfer even though my handicap is higher, in fact I might even be a better golfer through not relying on technology. ;)

Last edited: