Why do we do it!!!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
distance control is good, dispersion is good, the point of this post wasnt meant to be all about me haha!
i was looking for how other people felt!
My JPX 900 tours are lovely, that point is mute, what I am saying, is should we 'in general' play the most forgiving clubs we can?
I can shape the ball, hit it high and low, and often on target, but again it wasnt meant to be all about me, and sometimes being able to play a wide range of shots is more a curse than a blessing!

Thanks Crow, nice response, I hope you enjoy playing this year, maybe thats more important than going low, actually really enjoying golf!

Last edited:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use JPX 850 forged, play off 14.

With the bigger GI clubs I can't deal with the offset (really freaks me out), the random fliers when you airmail the green, trying to use them for more delicate shots around the green.

I'm barely good enough to use the 850 forged but I do know roughly how far they go, can use a number of different clubs around the green, and get feedback that is slowly helping me work out how to improve my game.

I was at AG last week and one of the staff handed me a new Callaway Rouge to try, could barely make contact with the ball as my head couldn't compute the offset.
I then picked up an MP18mmc and fizzed ball after ball out into the ether.

Go figure. Bizarre really.

But that's why I do it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use JPX 850 forged, play off 14.

With the bigger GI clubs I can't deal with the offset (really freaks me out), the random fliers when you airmail the green, trying to use them for more delicate shots around the green.

I'm barely good enough to use the 850 forged but I do know roughly how far they go, can use a number of different clubs around the green, and get feedback that is slowly helping me work out how to improve my game.

I was at AG last week and one of the staff handed me a new Callaway Rouge to try, could barely make contact with the ball as my head couldn't compute the offset.
I then picked up an MP18mmc and fizzed ball after ball out into the ether.

Go figure. Bizarre really.

But that's why I do it!
Just a generally question - what does 'offset' specifically refer to in this context? I've seen it said a lot in discussions about game improvement clubs but never know precisely what it refers to.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play JPX 900 Tours in the short clubs, 7-PW but still play cavity forged in the mid irons, 5&6.

I just never really got on with the looks with larger head cavity irons and just like a smaller headed club.

I probably hit both types of clubs with the same degree of mi***** compare to ones out of the middle. So nothing gained or lost.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can only lie to yourself for so long. YOU MAY get better scores with a larger more GI club. But after time you'll begin to hate them and ultimately switch back to something less forgiving. I'm a firm believer that once you've played with a smaller headed iron you'll always end up back there.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can only lie to yourself for so long. YOU MAY get better scores with a larger more GI club. But after time you'll begin to hate them and ultimately switch back to something less forgiving. I'm a firm believer that once you've played with a smaller headed iron you'll always end up back there.

We shall see if you are right. I have just received the wilson Fg tours and they are tiny compared to my jpxs. The jury is still out, they seem to fly super high at the moment.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Done it often. Tried other clubs at the range, usually hit them well and then had to fight the urge to change. Nothing wrong with what I have already and just the hankering for new shinies. The feeling is worse when the clubs are a nice bladed (or minimal cavity) and you sweep it away effortlessly and you convince yourself they'll work in mud, rain and gale force wind

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
We shall see if you are right. I have just received the wilson Fg tours and they are tiny compared to my jpxs. The jury is still out, they seem to fly super high at the moment.
It takes a while to adjust. But once you have, as a better player you soon realise that the distance control is worth the lack of forgiveness. Nothing worse that hitting a good shot only for it to come out hot for no good reason and fly a green.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve only ever hit a cheap pair of Slazenger’s and a set of TM SLDR irons that I got off gumtree. Would love to try a variety of clubs to see what difference they could make.