When do you upgrade equipment?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Centre strikes on drivers have been maxed out for some time..everyone knows that, anyone denying it is living under a rock. The only way to eek out a few yards is by manipulation of the CoG to lower spin but we're not talking many yards.
Almost all tech advances are on the off centre strikes where we hit ....
If you take a driver from 10 years ago and hit a low heel shot, replicate the swing conditions and strike with a 2023 driver and you'll get 20+ yards more out of it.
Simple as that
Same goes for toe strikes and low strikes.
That's where the focus is.

20+ more yards? You need to sign up with TaylorMade's marketing division. ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

Centre strikes on drivers have been maxed out for some time..everyone knows that, anyone denying it is living under a rock. The only way to eek out a few yards is by manipulation of the CoG to lower spin but we're not talking many yards.
Almost all tech advances are on the off centre strikes where we hit ....
If you take a driver from 10 years ago and hit a low heel shot, replicate the swing conditions and strike with a 2023 driver and you'll get 20+ yards more out of it.
Simple as that
Same goes for toe strikes and low strikes.
That's where the focus is.
One other big advance in modern equipment is the ability to measure.
I hit my old (Titleist 917) against my current (Stealth) and when hit out of the screws there was only a small difference (partly also due to a more suitable shaft).
But the biggest difference was on heel & toe strikes. They were noticeably better shots with the Stealth.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
20+ more yards? You need to sign up with TaylorMade's marketing division. ;)
I found it between my old Callaway 815 and my new Mizuno STZ230.
GC Quad figures showed 20+ yards difference between similar toe or heel strikes because the spin barely changed and the ball speed was retained....

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm hitting my driver out of the middle too often.
I'm not taking enough advantage of the new improvements.

Must be where I'm going wrong.
Its a result of having those practice games with much smaller faced woods that has given me a much more accurate swing. Big mistake that.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you think companies like Callaway etc would invest huge amounts of money in R&D if they weren't producing new/improved equipment?
I think they would - and further, we know they do. They need an R&D story to tell. Their goal is to sell clubs, and beat their competitors. So they have to create difference to market as different/better even though it isnt.

Stealth for example, no doubt took investement and genuinely high level technical engineering and materials know how. But it didnt produce a better performing club. Any differences are either in the score-insignificant range, or, its an actual backwards step performance wise. But even if a minute backwards step, that is successful R&D - they created a differentiator. 'The Carbon wood age'. But for anyone's score that is irrelevant and no true golfing advance. Its a marketing and business advance. And a good one, as long as it doesnt have too many McIlroy stories turning it sour.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think they would - and further, we know they do. They need an R&D story to tell. Their goal is to sell clubs, and beat their competitors. So they have to create difference to market as different/better even though it isnt.

Stealth for example, no doubt took investement and genuinely high level technical engineering and materials know how. But it didnt produce a better performing club. Any differences are either in the score-insignificant range, or, its an actual backwards step performance wise. But even if a minute backwards step, that is successful R&D - they created a differentiator. 'The Carbon wood age'. But for anyone's score that is irrelevant and no true golfing advance. Its a marketing and business advance. And a good one, as long as it doesnt have too many McIlroy stories turning it sour.
You see people might listen to you if it weren't for the fact that you are wrong.
I have a Stealth, so have measured improvement in driving distance and accuracy, to prove it. I have also tested it on miss hits, shown on Trackman, to prove the improvement in off centre strikes.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a Stealth, so have measured improvement in driving distance and accuracy, to prove it. I have also tested it on miss hits, shown on Trackman, to prove the improvement in off centre strikes.
Not on any sound scientific testing basis though. If there were any improvement - which the regulations govern against anyway - Taylormade would have flooded the golf media with independent peer reviewed such results. And there would be a waiting list for them as everyone moves to this new miracle club. But there isnt. Stealths are just one more colourway, with an interesting back story admittedly, amongst hundreds of modern clubs.
The scientific facts are that it overs no technical benefit.
But it sells a dream...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not on any sound scientific testing basis though. If there were any improvement - which the regulations govern against anyway - Taylormade would have flooded the golf media with independent peer reviewed such results. And there would be a waiting list for them as everyone moves to this new miracle club. But there isnt. Stealths are just one more colourway, with an interesting back story admittedly, amongst hundreds of modern clubs.
But it sells a dream...
And yet off centre strikes go 20+ yards further than an older driver.....I wonder what's caused that... :unsure:

D

Deleted member 1147

But it sells a dream...
Again you're showing how little you know. Improvement isn't against any governing bodies rules or regulations.
You just post crap in order to be contrary. I'm bored at work so am willing to call you out on it.
I have scientific evidence of improvement, it's called trackman numbers.

D

Deleted member 1147

Shaft extensions are comparatively cheap.
The pro is lengthening it for me to 35.5 inches.
Apparently it’s just a bit of plastic that fits on the end. May need a new grip fitting.

RichA

Visit site
There are a lot of people here doing their best to justify splashing the cash. :D

"But what do you know? You don't even play new clubs"
I can't justify anything new but fancy a chipper (I've got a 30 year old Ram chipper, but it's 💩).
So, using the GC4C 20% off code, I've purchased a very upright 40-year old Ping Eye 2 8-iron for <£20. A couple of inches hacksawed off the butt and a recycled grip later, I will have an upgraded Ping chipper.
I'm happy to take orders if anyone wants their equipment upgraded Dr Frankenstein style.

sunshine

Visit site
But if you get hold of a good set from 1950s and compare it with another good comparable set from 1970s, you won't find much of a significant difference in performance.

Depends on whether it’s been submerged in water for 15 years

(Which has got to be the most random test of a golf club I’ve heard of)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Again you're showing how little you know. Improvement isn't against any governing bodies rules or regulations.
You just post crap in order to be contrary. I'm bored at work so am willing to call you out on it.
I have scientific evidence of improvement, it's called trackman numbers.
I agree there has been improvement. For a decade from the mid 90s, there was. Manufacturers too, got hooked on the high of real improvements year on year. It set a template of marketing, club releases, and consumer expectation. But it wasnt sustained. Wooden drivers, and the early steel drivers, essentially copies in design of their wood predecessors, are inferior to 460cc Ti drivers. That road ended though at least 15 years ago. Some consumers are just hooked on the drug, even if in that time it has just been a placebo.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing that the invention of Trackman and personally fitted clubs isn't regarded as a sea change then ? 😉
The topic was clubs rather than peripheral equipment. But there has been significant technological advancement in golf, outside clubs, in the last 20 years. GPS for sure. Launch monitors for sure too. Both in what they offer in practice feed back, and in the fundamental understanding of what really constitutes an effective golf swing - much of the old nonsense in swing theory has been well debunked. The likes of 3D imaging and force measurement have also enabled real advances in swing improvement. And shot data collection with technology and data analysis has also slain a few old dragons, and given a scientific view on the best path to a good score, rather than wooly unsubstantiated theories that were really just speculation. So good advances there.
On clubfitting...I think turbulators have probably added more to golf score improvement. 'Fitting' is an illusion living on borrowed time, whose emperors no clothes character is close to being exposed.

HPIMG

Visit site
I am booked in next week for club fitting now. Last two games I’ve played my driver 3 wood and hybrid I feel are just going too high even when hitting 3 wood off the floor it going too high and causing me distance. So pro said he will have a play around with different shafts and find me one that gives a lower ball flight.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am booked in next week for club fitting now. Last two games I’ve played my driver 3 wood and hybrid I feel are just going too high even when hitting 3 wood off the floor it going too high and causing me distance. So pro said he will have a play around with different shafts and find me one that gives a lower ball flight.
Hmmm
If you're hitting clubs too high, and you think it's a shaft issue, I have a bridge to sell you...
It's technique. Get on trackman or GCQuad. The numbers don't lie - there'll be an obvious reason which I'd hope a pro would be able to address.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hmmm
If you're hitting clubs too high, and you think it's a shaft issue, I have a bridge to sell you...
It's technique. Get on trackman or GCQuad. The numbers don't lie - there'll be an obvious reason which I'd hope a pro would be able to address.
If it’s a technique issue a good pro should sell the improvement before the club.
However it could be an inappropriate shaft, wrong stiffness or flex point.