When do you upgrade equipment?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do tend to tinker quite a lot, I like to try different clubs out. Starting to learn my lesson though as my game can suffer by chopping and changing.

I went through 5 drivers in 6 months a few years back, changed to a TM m2 a couple of years ago and haven’t really wanted to swap since. Similarly with my hybrid and fairway wood, couldn’t hit either and went through a few, then stumbled across a ping g25 hybrid, loved it and bought a 4 wood of the same, can’t see me changing them for a while.

Wedges, well I did buy some cheap ones a few years back and then drunkenly purchased 3 clevelands one night and have stuck with them every since, they do the job.

Putter, my odyssey o works wide blade style had an issue with the mesh insert thing and had to be replaced, took a punt on another odyssey mallet style and can’t get on with it, so I’ve just bought a Cleveland Huntington beach soft (wide blade type) and love it so far.

Finally, irons, I’ve tried maybe 7-8 sets over the last 4 years, bought second hand to see what I get on with. I’m currently narrowed down to a set of tm p790s and a set of titleist ap2 712s. Will sell whichever I get on with the least.

It’s always not getting on with a club that makes me look elsewhere, usually Facebook so that I can buy cheap and sell on if it’s unsuccessful. All part of the fun!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm playing at an away course next week and have chosen these clubs, can anyone spot the connection?

Walter Hagen "Haig Ultra" 1, 3 & 4 woods, circa 1964
Dunlop "Peter Thomson" 2 to SW irons, released 1957
John Letters "Fred Daly" putter, released late 1940s

343054804_239960975285439_7754558769636576962_n.jpg
342988121_634623674664360_8342656543079489002_n.jpg
342982081_1292896981299959_56567229446544244_n.jpg
Gaming a setup like that, you may as well have written - folks, I'm playing Hoylake next week !

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you've got the connection!
(y). Nice rig. No turbulators on the big dog, but presume you got it dialled in with your fitter so head speed optimised for your target launch window to suit links ? Irons shafts pured I guess too, but thats a given these days.

D

Deleted member 1147

I change when they get older, or don’t suit me for one way or other.

My last irons and driver were both over 5 years old.
The shafts in the new irons are more suited to my swing dynamics, lighter and stiffer.
The driver is more forgiving on misshits.

I’m now looking for a new putter as I’m struggling to practice as it’s too short for me, and is putting a lot of pressure on my lower back.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm playing at an away course next week and have chosen these clubs, can anyone spot the connection?

Walter Hagen "Haig Ultra" 1, 3 & 4 woods, circa 1964
Dunlop "Peter Thomson" 2 to SW irons, released 1957
John Letters "Fred Daly" putter, released late 1940s

343054804_239960975285439_7754558769636576962_n.jpg
342988121_634623674664360_8342656543079489002_n.jpg
342982081_1292896981299959_56567229446544244_n.jpg

I briefly had the 5 iron in the Peter Thomson set - all original no change of grip sold it for a pretty penny on Ebay as a collectable

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There have really only been four developments in golf clubs in the last century; the move from hickory to steel, from knife blades to perimeter weighting, from wooden woods to metal ones and as a subset of that from metal drivers to 460cc Ti ones, and the replacement of low irons by hybrids. All the rest is just colourways, swirls, and go faster stripes. So the upgrades are truly there and it is worth replacing them about every 25 years or so on average. Or more frequently if the colour of the lipstick arc you are looking down at at address is important to you.

D

Deleted member 1147

There have really only been four developments in golf clubs in the last century; the move from hickory to steel, from knife blades to perimeter weighting, from wooden woods to metal ones and as a subset of that from metal drivers to 460cc Ti ones, and the replacement of low irons by hybrids. All the rest is just colourways, swirls, and go faster stripes. So the upgrades are truly there and it is worth replacing them about every 25 years or so on average. Or more frequently if the colour of the lipstick arc you are looking down at at address is important to you.
🥱 🥱 🥱

babylonsinger

Visit site
Have largely used the same clubs I bought when I first took up the game in 2011. Bought a package set as I didn't know better and it served me well until resuming after the covid break. Have replaced a few clubs since but still using the irons and 3 Wood. Will be looking to replace the irons with a fitted set when I return to employment later this year

If replacing/upgrading is within your means then go for it. No different to getting a new car/watch/clothing etc for me which will be mainly cosmetic changes rather than necessary

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I change when they get older, or don’t suit me for one way or other.

My last irons and driver were both over 5 years old.
The shafts in the new irons are more suited to my swing dynamics, lighter and stiffer.
The driver is more forgiving on misshits.

I’m now looking for a new putter as I’m struggling to practice as it’s too short for me, and is putting a lot of pressure on my lower back.
Putter for me as well, really fancy a Bettinardi or Scotty Cameron, will probably end up being the three putt king regardless 🙈

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
When i get that urge when i'm not playing anywhere near to handicap, then as soon as i place an order for a new set of set irons, wedges or driver, i begin to strike said club like a pro!!

Sometimes every 2,4,6,12months it depends:LOL:

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m looking for a putter with a longer shaft, so I don’t need to bend over as much.
New Scotty’s are about £450 I believe 🫣😧

Putter for me as well, really fancy a Bettinardi or Scotty Cameron, will probably end up being the three putt king regardless 🙈

RichA

Visit site
I've been thinking about graphite shafts on the irons. Is it possible to replace steel shaft on existing clubs with graphite? Callaway Steelhead XR.
It's possible. I had a fitting and looked into it last year for my Mizuno MP-60 irons.
It would have cost £80 per club - £640 for 3-PW. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of making them worse.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the ping g425 clubs at the top end of my bag, nothing wrong with them and I am happy with how they are performing but last week I was in chatting to the pro and ended up leaving with the titleist tsr2 and tsr3 drivers to test for a few rounds. Loved the sound of the tsr3 and look but it wasn’t doing anything my ping couldn’t and it was slightly less forgiving. Then playing a few rounds with the tsr2 really enjoyed the driver and loved the sound and feel but again wasn’t gaining anything.
If you don't like the sound of the Ping G425, the new G430 is far better and forgiving.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Mainly people change clubs when they fall under the thrall of the marketing for new ones, and the urge to consume is overwhelming. Even terming such purchases 'upgrades' shows the power of the seduction. They are not upgrades in the true sense at all.
Mostly true when replacing recent kit, but you definitely can consider it an upgrade to your stuff when taking advantage of developments that have made clubs more forgiving.

As to when most golfers might look to change one or more of their clubs…I might suggest simply when they can afford to and they fancy a change.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have the ping g425 clubs at the top end of my bag, nothing wrong with them and I am happy with how they are performing but last week I was in chatting to the pro and ended up leaving with the titleist tsr2 and tsr3 drivers to test for a few rounds. Loved the sound of the tsr3 and look but it wasn’t doing anything my ping couldn’t and it was slightly less forgiving. Then playing a few rounds with the tsr2 really enjoyed the driver and loved the sound and feel but again wasn’t gaining anything.
If I switch clubs I’ll be getting driver, 3 and 5/7 wood and a hybrid but I feel as if I need to see a gain for me to switch.
So why do people switch clubs ? Do you switch just for a change or do you need to see a improvement ?

Also was thinking after reading on the forums about the speed sticks and now thinking maybe get the speed sticks now and think about switching next year. People who have the speed sticks do they come with a routine for you to follow?

You sound like every club pros dream.

For me there needs to be a valuable gain to warrant change. By the sounds of it there isn’t with the tsr,s