Why are individual opens not very popular in England?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lancashire. Don't think I've seen any at all when looking on Golf Empire in Yorkshire or Cumbria either. All seem to be 4BBB.
We have a Seniors @Ulverston on 18/5/23, Furness and Kendal singles 20/5. Kirkby Lonsdale singles plus Silloth which is Full. Carlisle senior Singles about 4th Sept.. Alos one @ Penrith HC Limit 18 I think

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you looked at Happy Golf?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
there are only a couple of single woman's opens around Manchester, some of the more prestigeous clubs run them but they tend to be scratch and only open to very low handicaps, It is a shame because I enjoy them, but most of the womens opens are team ones

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Always thought I was strange how different it is between Scotland and England re comps.

Up here theses almost a choice between a few each weekend and we have seniors during the week, which again some weeks you have a few choices. Then there are 4 and 5 dayers. There's a few mixed greensomes and Team comps. I can't recall seeing many BB comps

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have managed to play a number of singles opens around the Midlands, and have a few booked this year, so a fair few clubs have them. However, 4BBB is far more common and I would guess that more than half of clubs in the area do not have singles opens (including my club). There are a few clubs in the county that I have yet to play and I am sure that I would have had they have held singles opens. As to the reason why there are not so many singles comps I do not know. I like playing in them as I cannot always co-ordinate diaries with my usual PP, I also like playing in qualifiers and I enjoy playing new courses.