Why are individual opens not very popular in England?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned WHS and bandits........surely that might be a reason to put off many from entering an open. Certainly if it offers the chance to play at a nice course for a decent price then great, but if you want to have a chance of competing, then I suspect those with dodgy handicaps might deter people from trying them!
4bbb seems the best place for bandits.

Jason.H

Visit site
It could be that people don’t all like putting cards in at courses they don’t know.
Or, that courses like 4 balls as that means more people playing, so more cash in the bank for the same number of tee times.
Yes I expect teams are more likely to spend money in the bar /restaurant before and after their golf. I don’t see why a club can’t run 1 singles event per year. My old club doesn’t do one which is a shame.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
It varies by club more than region I'd think. I know of clubs that have open week each year and it's a complete mix of singles, seniors, mixies, greensomes etc. Our place has two opens per week pretty much through the year, Wednesdays and Sundays but also has an open week full of the varied formats.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned WHS and bandits........surely that might be a reason to put off many from entering an open. Certainly if it offers the chance to play at a nice course for a decent price then great, but if you want to have a chance of competing, then I suspect those with dodgy handicaps might deter people from trying them!
This thread is about singles opens. Would have thought that if anyone was put off playing in those it would be the bandits themselves, as they would not be getting prizes without a handicap cut. Unlike in 4b or AMAM's where they can continue to rip off fellow golfers to their hearts content.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not sure that is true, most clubs in Scotland that have opens also offer team events such as mixed, scrambles etc.
The majority of Opens are individual, most clubs have more than one, and then in the shoulders of the season there will be a scramble of am-am. 4BBB opens have virtually died out

England is very different, very few individual opens, and when there are they are often cat 1 only

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
WHs has been around 2 years, that hasn't changed anything except entries for scrambles where low handicappers are massively disadvantaged now

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not sure where the OP was looking but a brief glance at Golf Empire suggest that there are hundreds.
By comparison with Scotland, no there aren't, not even close. Also if you dig deeper you'll find the majority of individual opens in England are handicap 5 and under.

D-S

Visit site
By comparison with Scotland, no there aren't, not even close. Also if you dig deeper you'll find the majority of individual opens in England are handicap 5 and under.
Not around here there aren’t - just randomly checked Devon and Gloucestershire Individual Opens via Golf Empire (as am booking some Opens myself) and there are plenty of Individual nett Opens. In fact my club is running one today - the scratch one is later in the season.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I see opens as a good day out with mates, change of scenery, and the chance to play a decent course for a lot less than the normal green fee. I hope to play well, but have no expectation of winning, and don't care who does win on the day.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not around here there aren’t - just randomly checked Devon and Gloucestershire Individual Opens via Golf Empire (as am booking some Opens myself) and there are plenty of Individual nett Opens. In fact my club is running one today - the scratch one is later in the season.
Now go and check north east Scotland, (effectively Aberdeenshire & Moray), there are over 100 individual opens still to play this year, and not all clubs list there.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Lancashire. Don't think I've seen any at all when looking on Golf Empire in Yorkshire or Cumbria either. All seem to be 4BBB.
Yup, it's dreadful in NW England, back in around 2009 I was going to use my Scottish membership as my home club and just play opens, I quickly changed my mind as my schedule for Lancashire & Cheshire would have consisted of less than 10 opens all season

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
from experience they are and usually well subscribed or full but there isn’t enough of them. I believe it’s the club committees that say what the competitions and their format will be and this will sound ageist but I believe the older generation prefer betterballs and scrambles hence why there is so many team opens.

D

Deleted member 31467

from experience they are and usually well subscribed or full but there isn’t enough of them. I believe it’s the club committees that say what the competitions and their format will be and this will sound ageist but I believe the older generation prefer betterballs and scrambles hence why there is so many team opens.
My guess is clubs don't want to give up too many weekend dates so a lot of opens are midweek which tends to attract seniors. Easier to get teams of 4 retirees than working people.