WHS working well for me

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My "8 from 20" are all within 3 shots of each other. That surprises, but encourages me! :)
This could almost be a thread. 6 of my 8 are within a shot of each other. My 7th is 2 shots worse than my best, my worst is a rogue 4 shots away, I need to get rid of that one :mad:.

In our cases our HI is most definitely accurate, a very even line on a graph :D.

The next question, how do we break that ceiling in order to go lower? Have we plateaued? Interesting stuff.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This could almost be a thread. 6 of my 8 are within a shot of each other. My 7th is 2 shots worse than my best, my worst is a rogue 4 shots away, I need to get rid of that one :mad:.

In our cases our HI is most definitely accurate, a very even line on a graph :D.

The next question, how do we break that ceiling in order to go lower? Have we plateaued? Interesting stuff.
My top 8 are between 81 and 90. I have an 87 that's not in the top 8 though.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

I'm finding exactly the same too. At the moment I've three rounds counting from nine, and the spread of the score differential for those three is 0.5! My next two which don't count are only a further 0.4, so I have five rounds from nine within a shot.

I am having lessons to try and break that trend. Generally, it gets worse before it gets better. Though I am finding that if it's a social, no card, round I don't concentrate as well, and so don't play as well.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm finding exactly the same too. At the moment I've three rounds counting from nine, and the spread of the score differential for those three is 0.5! My next two which don't count are only a further 0.4, so I have five rounds from nine within a shot.

I am having lessons to try and break that trend. Generally, it gets worse before it gets better. Though I am finding that if it's a social, no card, round I don't concentrate as well, and so don't play as well.

There's a definite downward trend in my handicap but it is starting to plateau at a level that feels about right. However, I've found my best rounds have been outside of comps, whether its the lack of perceived pressure I don't know. Some of my competition rounds now stick out like a sore thumb on the graph.

I'm currently on 10 cards so need another 2 to make it the average of my best four. Unless I play a blinder I would expect it to go up by a shot or two at that point. But given my next two scores will be a club champs round with the course set up pretty difficult, and an Open at an away course, I don't think they'll end up as counting scores.

D

Deleted member 3432

Mine vary between -1.2 and 5.3, consistently inconsistent :oops:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone I've seen moan about WHS are the same people who would have moaned about giving full handicap in a match before it came in - invariably 4/5 to 9 handicappers who think they are good at golf (they aren't really - just better than hackers)- the good golfers at my place (scratch to plus figures) don't care because about your handicap because they know they can beat someone who will make mistakes

Hi there , I bounce between 5 and 6 handicap so am in the bracket you mention. I felt compelled to reply as I didn't complain about the old system, but I want to champion the cause of the handicap bracket I'm in. I'm hoping the new system catches up with people's handicaps quickly as i've resigned to the fact I play to try and beat my handicap in competitions this year as I don't stand a chance of winning.

You see, this season, I'd have had to shoot at least 2 under par gross to have won any of the competitions I have entered. That's never going to happen. It happened again this weekend when guy off 30 had 47 points in our Captains day. In addition to that, I don't have any chance of winning lowest gross as we have quite a few plus handicaps who compete for that. So I'm just hoping that this system levels out people's handicaps quickly so I can play with a faint hope that once more scores of 4/5 under start to win again.

I enjoy your course pics BTW so keep them coming !

D

Deleted member 21258

I'm not noticing crazy silly scores at any of the clubs I belong to(that I have noticed, dont think I remember one being better than say 43ish normally winning is around 41 or lower, depending on club).

Are these crazy scores being done by the 'rush of new members/improving golfers' or being won by old members who had big revisions to their handicap due WHS introduction/general play rounds since (ie. both of these things almost happened at once) ?

[as an aside also aware than the current weather will tend to kick out silly scores, as the conditions make the course alot easier for some people]

D

Deleted member 21258

For me I have gone from 6.6 to 10.4 this year.

My scoring rounds are now from 8.5 to 13.9 (and non scoring from 14.2 to 27.1, 8 pickups that round:ROFLMAO:).

You lot are more consistent than me(y):)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi there , I bounce between 5 and 6 handicap so am in the bracket you mention. I felt compelled to reply as I didn't complain about the old system, but I want to champion the cause of the handicap bracket I'm in. I'm hoping the new system catches up with people's handicaps quickly as i've resigned to the fact I play to try and beat my handicap in competitions this year as I don't stand a chance of winning.

You see, this season, I'd have had to shoot at least 2 under par gross to have won any of the competitions I have entered. That's never going to happen. It happened again this weekend when guy off 30 had 47 points in our Captains day. In addition to that, I don't have any chance of winning lowest gross as we have quite a few plus handicaps who compete for that. So I'm just hoping that this system levels out people's handicaps quickly so I can play with a faint hope that once more scores of 4/5 under start to win again.

We were seeing a similar issue during the first few months of the season. However, as the HC's seem to have levelled out a bit, we're now seeing more single figure golfers competing towards the top of the board.
Early in the season you had to shoot 63-64 (Par 72) to win. This has gradually risen to 67-68 now.
Captain's Day was won with 46 points in June. President's day was won with 41 points last week.
Some dodgy bandit won the mid-week medal with a 68 playing off 10 last week. That wouldn't have been top 20 2 months ago.

Give it another month and see where the scores are. I'd be surprised if it didn't start levelling off pretty soon at your place.

Anyway, just to say... I love the new system. Best season I've had in a decade!!!!! :cool:

IanMcC

Visit site
My best round in ages at the weekend, replacing an 8.6 diff with a 5.1 (Adjusted Gross of 78). My best 8 range from this 5.1 up to 9.9. HI of 7.9.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My best 8 vary from 4.8 to 10.3. Index is 8.6

Won my first comp in 9 years a couple of weeks ago with a 4 over par gross 74 for 42 points.....best gross score I've shot in the last 5 years!!!

Index has been on a downward trend for the last year now after slowly rising from an all time low of 6.3 under the old scheme in 2010 to 14 in the spring of 2020.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Random golf irritations has had a few posts on this matter. We haven’t had huge scores as it’s been the domain of the low long hitters and the high handicappers. But scores have not gone crazy it’s just a case of fields dropping off as certain people realise they cannot compete. Also the twos is getting 2nd thoughts when you see a load scratchers and low cat 1s in the field ( they have a least 3 opportunities ) ( I have on occasions made 2 , but these guys are looking at making 2 or 3 so the pot has shrunk) . Is the whs impacting, well yes I am going up fast but then I have now stopped playing whilst the course is in its present state. Not going to blew cash on no tangible chance.
I am currently in the match play singles and pairs. So it will be interesting to see if I come up against one of the scratchers and whether I can push them . The pairs , I have a low cat 1 partner and he seems to have settled now having been a new member.
Anyway the system is okay, I think it’s working but I think it’s undermined by the course set up and we will have guys with non representative indexes… and that’s the lows and the mids .. the lows will be posting disappointing results and the mids will be accused of being bandits, when they travel.
I think I need to have a round around Ellesborough to see if I am anywhere near what I was when I left 8 years ago. I would have got 3 strokes around there then now I would get 15 so if I post anything around 3 I have maintained my ability which I think won’t be the case, but 15 ? I think I can get round in 10 over, and Ellesborough has a higher slope.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have now resigned myself to know that I won’t win a HC comp again , we only have one scratch comp as well so will give myself a chance with that - also won’t bother with any of the HC and Team KO’s plus the winter league stuff

Even scoring 2 under gross isn’t good enough to win anything now - I’ll use the comps just so I can have a round of golf and as you say hope that the system levels things out but I’m not very hopeful

Swango1980

Visit site
I have now resigned myself to know that I won’t win a HC comp again , we only have one scratch comp as well so will give myself a chance with that - also won’t bother with any of the HC and Team KO’s plus the winter league stuff

Even scoring 2 under gross isn’t good enough to win anything now - I’ll use the comps just so I can have a round of golf and as you say hope that the system levels things out but I’m not very hopeful
I wouldn't hold much hope in this mythical "handicaps levelling off". Firstly, it doesn't apply to most of the regular players anyway, as they have likely had a full scoring history on their WHS record, as it used all their qualifying scores since Jan 2018. So, levelling off does not really apply to most players.

There are newish members now with very few scores on their playing record. Not only that, many of them will improve. So, yes, hopefully over time their handicaps will level off.

However, there will always be new people to the game, and so there will always be players with few scores on their record. The system does very little to protect the field against players who have got very few scores on their handicap record, especially those that have just submitted 3 cards and got their first handicap. Perhaps the issue is worse now, due to the large influx of new players after lockdown last year. So, at best, hopefully in the future there will be a smaller number of new members to worry about.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I presume you are talking a bout trophy comps where all handicaps get lumped together.

We play our normal comps in Divisions. I have on two this year one with 2 under nett and the other 3, one in Div 1 seniors up to 16CH handicap and the other in Div 2 club 10-16CH.