WHS - What Clubs need to do / buy???

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprising extract from email just received from Handicapmaster:

Provision of Date of Birth and Email Addresses to England Golf:

For clarity, there is currently no way for email addresses and dates of birth (only "year of birth") to be sent through to England Golf's existing CDH. Their CDH does not have this facility.

HandicapMaster software will not be able to send this information about your members until you have installed our forthcoming WHS-compatible software.

This forthcoming software (HandicapMaster version "10") will be released on 2nd November, in line with the introduction of the World Handicap System. The software will then be able to send this information to the new WHS Platform server.

You will need to enter this information into HandicapMaster, but it is not needed until 2nd November (not 5th October as suggested in a recent England Golf email).

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just spent 10 min on phone with England golf. The cannot get over the concept that not everyone has an email address and that don't use the internet. Im just going to set up those who haven't got one with the same email address.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprising extract from email just received from Handicapmaster:

Provision of Date of Birth and Email Addresses to England Golf:

For clarity, there is currently no way for email addresses and dates of birth (only "year of birth") to be sent through to England Golf's existing CDH. Their CDH does not have this facility.

HandicapMaster software will not be able to send this information about your members until you have installed our forthcoming WHS-compatible software.

This forthcoming software (HandicapMaster version "10") will be released on 2nd November, in line with the introduction of the World Handicap System. The software will then be able to send this information to the new WHS Platform server.

You will need to enter this information into HandicapMaster, but it is not needed until 2nd November (not 5th October as suggested in a recent England Golf email).

It rather looks as if the ISVs are locked in mortal combat with England Golf over this issue. The Golf Club Managers Association have just issued a very long statement on the issue which suggests that things are definitely not cut and dried.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re multiple CDH numbers one thing that was emphasised from the off was the need for clubs to clean their databases. Not as easy as it sound when al clubs were not willig to cooperate. We had a few clubs not 'releasing' their members to us despite multiple emails to them.

I know of quite a few members with husband wife shared emails and recently had a discussion with one about this. Turns out he was wife was deleting the emails before he had read them.

I was in discussion with the club captain yesterday about this issue and he said that we have at least 30 members with no email address on file. I know of one member who positively refuses to give the club an email address and I know of several that do not have a home computer system.

Not having a computer at home was a big issue with some members when we introduced a requirement for all tee slots to be booked. I did manage to persuade a couple to at least get a smartphone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok. No problem.

However, I gather it has now been said "CDH numbers will become invalid once the WHS is launched and England Golf believe that the CDH number format has been the cause of a large number of duplication issues in the past."

Do you know if that was from the GCMA?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago I used to have an email address of

ydouneedit@

used for all those that insisted I gave one for no valid reason and I never bothered to read any email sent to that address

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re multiple CDH numbers one thing that was emphasised from the off was the need for clubs to clean their databases. Not as easy as it sound when al clubs were not willig to cooperate. We had a few clubs not 'releasing' their members to us despite multiple emails to them.

I know of quite a few members with husband wife shared emails and recently had a discussion with one about this. Turns out he was wife was deleting the emails before he had read them.

I was in discussion with the club captain yesterday about this issue and he said that we have at least 30 members with no email address on file. I know of one member who positively refuses to give the club an email address and I know of several that do not have a home computer system.

Not having a computer at home was a big issue with some members when we introduced a requirement for all tee slots to be booked. I did manage to persuade a couple to at least get a smartphone.
It's some years since I was responsible for maintaining our handicap system but i am told by our manager that ClubV1 a) requires an email address and b) will not accept duplicates.
I don't know about IG or HM (or other ISVs)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's some years since I was responsible for maintaining our handicap system but i am told by our manager that ClubV1 a) requires an email address and b) will not accept duplicates.
I don't know about IG or HM (or other ISVs)

V1 will accept duplicate emails although it will give a warning on the security implications to the user, but as the ones I set up wont be access the email account that wont be an issue.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just been told that individuals will have a personal ID. I believe along the lines of "National Authority prefix/CDH ID (or similar)"
But logging in will still need an email authentication.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It rather looks as if the ISVs are locked in mortal combat with England Golf over this issue. The Golf Club Managers Association have just issued a very long statement on the issue which suggests that things are definitely not cut and dried.

Very poor understanding of GDPR by EG by the looks of things - are things about to grind to a halt.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many websites do you use that us your email address as your login id?

And I as an individual accept the terms and conditions of that web site as to how they use the web site. EG are asking clubs, not individuals for permission for having email addresses and DOB of members where members haven’t given specific permission.

Im not for or against either way but as I have to deal with GDPR in another life, it’s complicated and EG should have been looking at this and it’s implications a year ago giving clubs time to get the necessary permission from members. It could have been easily done at annual membership renewal.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
So all you had to do before to get a handicap was to be a member of an affiliated golf club, hand in your 3 cards then off you go.

But now you also require to have an email address (in England)? When did they decide to add this requirenent?